OV Windows - Can you actually see out of them?

4merlurker

I've been browsing pictures of the OV's. Looks like the windows are pretty dirty (salty/wet) most of the time......can you actually see out of them? Take pictures? :confused:

Thanks!

You are right, OV's have a salty film. You can definately see out enough to know if you are in port or out to sea, but no good for taking pictures.

I agree. You can see well enough to tell where you are, but pictures will probably not work well. The windows in the public areas can suffer from the same salt spray. They clean the windows periodically, but they can't keep up completely.

I've been browsing pictures of the OV's. Looks like the windows are pretty dirty (salty/wet) most of the time......can you actually see out of them? Take pictures? :confused:

Thanks!

LOL. They can be either way. Sometimes I wish I had a winsheild wiper and a spritzer on some rooms. But its never been so bad that it,s caked.

We often even both sat in the window well enjoying cocktails before dinnr.

We also graduated to balconies when the "balcony" ships made their appearance, so its no longer an iSsue.

And, no, the windows don't open.

You can see out of the windows.
You can do more than just see out the windows.

Sure there's some some salt residue on the outer surface

- so the keen photographer cleans what he can (his inner side of the perspex)

gets the camera up close, to sufficiently blur the outer residue

and get some fairly OK pics!

Cannes-474.jpg

OV2 tenders -to and from Cannes.

Tender-476-Cannes.jpg

Edited by Aplmac

Soooooo.....while we're on this subject, we have an OV on deck 2 for our upcoming Splendor cruise. How close is it to the water?! Will we feel like we're in an aquarium?! LOL. Seriously though, does the water ever come close to the windows on deck 2? We have a square window, not porthole, but we are very close to the bow so I'm wondering what type of spray or views we'll be seeing. :D

Thanks!

Laura

Soooooo.....while we're on this subject, we have an OV on deck 2 for our upcoming Splendor cruise. How close is it to the water?! Will we feel like we're in an aquarium?! LOL. Seriously though, does the water ever come close to the windows on deck 2? We have a square window, not porthole, but we are very close to the bow so I'm wondering what type of spray or views we'll be seeing. :D

Thanks!

Laura

Take a look at this youtube video. It might answer your question. :D

LOL. They can be either way. Sometimes I wish I had a winsheild wiper and a spritzer on some rooms. But its never been so bad that it,s caked.

We often even both sat in the window well enjoying cocktails before dinnr.

We also graduated to balconies when the "balcony" ships made their appearance, so its no longer an iSsue.

And, no, the windows don't open.

We had a balcony on 8th floor on Liberty. Couldn't see anything through the plexiglass until the second day when the stewards cleaned them.

I love the oceanviews on deck 2. Fun to look out the window at the water below - mesmerizing.

My favorite was night-time when I saw a school of glow-in-the-dark flying fish. wonderful!

OOOOOOMG thank you SO much for posting!

That's INSANE! That would be so rad!!!!! Wow. :D

Now you know why they're sealed with a big ole rubber gasket!!

I'm fairly sure Deck 2 cabins don't often get that kinda 'treat' unless it's really bad

but those windows are sealed too. You have to wonder why! :D

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showphoto.php?photo=24160

DSC02635a.jpg

Edited by Aplmac

Thanks!

Sure you can. The lower deck ones might have a little contamination but not so you cannot see out them. Of course you can't see anything at night as it is dark. :) It isn't even a factor on higher decks. I was just in an oceanview on upper on the sensation a few weeks ago and it was perfectly clear. It is probably the same for portholes. Oceanview rooms are good for if you just want to sit in the cabin and look out at the ocean on a sea day or a departure or arrival into a port, but IMO I don't usually even pay the premium for one. I am perfectly happy with an interior room. If I want to splurge it will be on a balcony, and even that is rare. I would rather spend that extra 50 or a hundred bucks on other stuff onboard or in a port.

FlyingCruiserNJ

Take a look at this youtube video. It might answer your question. :D

Oh i saw that video last night. Now being back on land i thought the video was awesome. But if you read this OP, ships today are built Ford tough so don't let a little baby storm scare ya. :p

On my first Caribbean cruise, we had an oceanview on the riviera deck. I fondly remember leaning on the window ledge as we were leaving ports, looking into the water. We saw a fair amount of floating garbage but we also saw rays swimming close to the surface. Very cool!