Turtle Farm wtih teens

arlsvera

We are traveling with three adventurous, animal loving teens. We swam with the the stingrays on our last stop in the Caymans and we are looking for something else to do this time.

Has anyone been to the Turtle Farm with teens? Did they enjoy the Breakers Lagoon and the Turtle Lagoon - or is that aimed at small children? I realize that the farm is a self guided tour -- but how long do most people stay?

Thanks in advance.

As animal lovers, you need to realize the Turtle Farm is raising turtles for food...to eat! Just a "heads up"!

They do not raise them to eat them!!! I have been there twice and they have turtles there that are over 60 years old!!! They are a sanctuary/rescue for this endangered species. They return many of the them to the sea and HUMAN garbage in the ocean kills them.

As for the OP question my husband and I love it there. It's a very nice day. We visit/feed the turtles, go in the lagoon for a snorkel and sit by the pool for a bit before heading back to boat.

They do not raise them to eat them!!! I have been there twice and they have turtles there that are over 60 years old!!! They are a sanctuary/rescue for this endangered species. They return many of the them to the sea and HUMAN garbage in the ocean kills them.

Um, I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but many more are eaten than aren't. They release some young turtles each year, but certainly not the majority of them. It's a great little park, with lots of conservation-themed and other animal activities, but many of the turtles will end up as steak. (The theory is that by providing farmed turtle meat, they can decrease the number of wild turtles hunted. Conservation of a sort, but maybe not in the way you were thinking.)

That doesn't stop it from being an enjoyable place to spend the day, though.

We have been to Grand Cayman twice with teens.

The first time we went out with Stingray Sailing to visit with the stingrays and go snorkelling. This was on a catamaran and everyone had a great time!

The second time, we did more of a sightseeing tour of Grand Cayman including a visit to the turtle farm, rum cake factory, Hell and going out to see the stingrays on a power boat.

My youngest preferred the first trip - he is a doer and not so much a sightseer. The older enjoyed both.

We weren't at the turtle farm very long - just enough to walk around and look in some of the different pools, hold one of the smaller turtles and look at a couple of displays - maybe 30-45 min or so. (It was 2 years ago, so my memory may be off!) Both of them enjoyed this part.

Hope that helps!

Edited by cath32

cath32,

Thanks for the reply. I'm a bit torn -- I do think they'd like the Turtle Farm, but it might not be worth the trip (time and money to get there). We'll also have my not-so-mobile mom with us, so that factors into our decision.

We have done Stingray City -- a great experience, but I don't think we need to do it twice.

We might just spend the day on the beach and stop in Hell before we board the ship. Stopping in Hell -now that is something the teens find funny!

I also have teens and we'll be in GC next Sunday. We are planning on going to the Turtle Farm but, hopefully, only for a couple of hours. In that time, my DS shouldn't be too bored. DD is a turtle fanatic (already explained how some of them are eaten!) so we may have to drag her away. I'm fairly interested but I don't want to spend the whole day there. A little concerned about the travel time from the ship but we'll see how it goes. May opt for a taxi instead of the yellow bus if the price is right.