How Often Is LeHavre Port Call Missed?

bconley351

We are doing the Princess British Isles cruise next August. We have a private tour booked for the Normandy beaches. My question is, how often does this port get skipped due to bad weather? We are organizing the tour and I'm concerned since we'll be liable for the tour cost if we don't make port.

Has anyone had problems with this?

Le Havre is a major commercial port where ships are pretty sheltered once they enter the harbor area. Accordingly, they will make the port in all but the worst weather. The biggest enemy would be very high winds. In the summer the odds are better then excellent that you will be able to dock.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We are doing the Princess British Isles cruise next August. We have a private tour booked for the Normandy beaches. My question is, how often does this port get skipped due to bad weather? We are organizing the tour and I'm concerned since we'll be liable for the tour cost if we don't make port.

Has anyone had problems with this?

I'm surprised to read this; most reputable tour operators will not charge you if the ship cannot dock.

The D-Day sites are amazing; have a great trip.

I received an email yesterday with an amendment in the cancellation policy, specifically for cruise ship passengers, indicating that if the crossing does not happen I can call the company and they will waive penalty. I was planning on getting int'l coverage on my phone for that time period anyway.

The port itself is reliable in bad weather but during bad storms a couple of weeks back at least one ship skipped Le Havre to make up for lost time.

But hey, that's October/November, one of the most likely times of year for storms.

So, it happens - but rarely.

A number of operators world-wide will waive fees (perhaps other than 5% to 10% for admin costs) if the ship doesn't make port, but you do need to check - or perhaps ask for that proviso when booking.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Yes, agree with JB and Keith.

I believe there was an RCI ship just going round in circles outside of Le Havre for about 24 hours during our most recent storm, but haven't had that verified. But that's definitely quite rare.

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, agree with JB and Keith.

I believe there was an RCI ship just going round in circles outside of Le Havre for about 24 hours during our most recent storm, but haven't had that verified. But that's definitely quite rare.

During that storm, we were on IOTS and instead of visiting Zeebrugge then Le Havre we went straight to Le Havre and stayed there for the duration. The captain told us it was one of the few ports in the Channel to remain open to shipping. Mind you, the wind wasn't as strong as what we had here overnight :D.