Radiance - Muster Drill/1st night dining

renee1222

With the 8pm departure time, I am just curious as to how the muster drill works, as I assume it would occur around 7:30pm. Is it planned between the 1st and 2nd seatings for the MDR? We have MTD, so are we limited as to when we dine the 1st night so we are not interrupted by the muster drill? If we take the Kenai tour, we will not be boarding until around 5:30.

I was on the Radiance in 2012. There is no early/last dining the first night, all open seating. Muster was around 7:30pm prior to leaving. They did stop letting people in the dining room, unless on a back to back. Had to be about 1 1/2 hours prior? (I also did this with Princess this year, so not 100% sure. )

Thank you! So I guess we plan to either eat before 6:00 or after 8:00.

I don't worry about eating- my last priority. :) I suggest you read some trip reports from this year. Those would offer more recent trends. As I mentioned my trip was 9-12. I didn't board the ship until close to 7pm. no waits, and only had enough time to drop my stuff off in the cabin, then headed toward the muster. I had done the Northwestern Fjords trip which didn't get back until after 6pm ( I knew, it would be no problem getting on the cruise ship, so it wasn't a mistake booking it, I had done the shorter Kenai Fjords tour the previous two days, due to availability of 2 for 1 coupons)

You didn't board until almost 7pm? I thought that US law required you board 90 minutes before departure? This will be my 1st Alaskan cruise. I am just used to Caribbean cruises where we board as early as possible, usually 11am, so I am slowly adjusting my expectations.

And I thought taking the 6 hour Kenai tour, ending at 5:30, would be "cutting it close!"

You didn't board until almost 7pm? I thought that US law required you board 90 minutes before departure? This will be my 1st Alaskan cruise. I am just used to Caribbean cruises where we board as early as possible, usually 11am, so I am slowly adjusting my expectations.

And I thought taking the 6 hour Kenai tour, ending at 5:30, would be "cutting it close!"

It was shortly before 7pm, maybe 6:45p??? Nope- I am NEVER in any rush to get on ships in Alaska. My days are about touring, not sitting on a ship. :) This is me- plenty of people are excited to be on "their" ship etc. For me- it's no more than meals, lodging and transportation. I've been on too many ships to be impressed. My opinion only. Everyone is different, and needs to determine which way they want to go.

Great question!

I know how you feel about getting on the ship ASAP, in March we were in line before boarding started, but there my DD could get right in the pool!

For Alaska, My DH was opposed to scheduling anything the day of embarkation, but I am planning to go to the SeaLife Center with an encounter that is at 1pm. My thought is that it is a happy medium btn not doing anything and maximizing our time. Personally, I would be nervous if we cut it close, but if I was going to trust anyone on if you can or can't do a tour and board on time it would be Budget Queen.

Good luck with your plans!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk