Mongolian Wok specifics

pamrose228

In my opinion the sauces choices are weak. The Thai sauce is too hot leaving only black bean which has no flavor. I have seen people bring their own bottle of sesame or terryaki sauce with them in line and they will gladly cool your food with it.

I have never seen them on any cruise that I have been on that has the Mongolian Wok

I guess its a Conquest class thing ,that's usually what we cruise

We learn something everyday :)

They offered mussels and shrimp two days on our 4-day Baja just last month in addition to chicken, beef and pork. Yum!!

I do not like any of their sauces. So on the Splendor last year the chef told me to go get him a packet of sugar. I did. He told me he would make me sweet and sour sauce. It was wonderful. I carry sugar with me now all the time when I go the Grill.

Not a fan of the current sauce choices either. I miss the teriyaki sauce.... :/

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In my opinion the sauces choices are weak. The Thai sauce is too hot leaving only black bean which has no flavor. I have seen people bring their own bottle of sesame or terryaki sauce with them in line and they will gladly cool your food with it.

coolbolts, I have them mix the Thai and black bean along with some soy sauce;) very good. I eat it every day for lunch. Always have them mix chicken and beef:cool: Pink

:pI love that sauce they give you at restaurants with Moo Shoo Pork. You are suppose to spread it in the "pancakes" then add the moo shoo and roll it up. can anyone tell me if that is the same sauce as Carnival's black bean?

That's hoisin sauce. It's not at all like the black bean sauce. Hoisin has more of a very thick ketchup consistency, the sauces on carnival are much more liquid.

• 3 weeks later...
That's hoisin sauce. It's not at all like the black bean sauce. Hoisin has more of a very thick ketchup consistency, the sauces on carnival are much more liquid.

Thanks! Still sounds good, I want to give it a try.

Just to offer a contrasting opinion:

The Szechuan sauce is spicy, but not overly so to me. Heat level tolerance ranges wide amongst folks. I'm from Texas and it's possible my tolerance has climbed over the years from frequent exposure, but I would never tell someone to avoid the black bean sauce because it is so mild and flavorless as to be boring because that's true for me but maybe not for you. Most folks have a good grip on what they can handle, if you like spicy, give the Szechuan a try. It's far from the burniest food I've eaten. *grin*

I made a mad dash to the Mongolian Wok as soon as I boarded the Paradise after hearing so many rave reviews about it. It was so spicy it literally brought tears to my eyes. After 3 tries, I was done. I couldn't eat it.

I absolutely adore spicy food. The hotter, the better as far as I'm concerned. This was the first time I've ever had to stop eating something because it was too hot. I wanted to love the Mongolian Wok so badly!

I'm with you. I've tried it a few times and finally gave up on it. At home, I can eat Szechuan food with no problem. But on the ship, when something they label as "spicy", I stay clear of it. The other 2 sauces aren't that good IMHO. Maybe I'll give it 1 last try (only when there isn't a long line) and just ask for soy sauce and maybe give them a packet of sugar to add like a PP did.

The bad thing about the MW is if anyone has a seafood allergy, they can get an allergic reaction as the woks aren't cleaned too well between uses.

I have never seen them on any cruise that I have been on that has the Mongolian Wok

I guess its a Conquest class thing ,that's usually what we cruise

We learn something everyday :)

They were on the Imagination last week.

Does anyone how/if they handle people with allergies? Many of us have shellfish allergies, and I would hesitate to eat something cooked in the same wok used for shrimp or mussels.

Some places use separate woks or scrub them well between uses for allergic customers, but it sounds like they may be too busy for that on Carnival.

Thanks in advance!

Does anyone how/if they handle people with allergies? Many of us have shellfish allergies, and I would hesitate to eat something cooked in the same wok used for shrimp or mussels.

Some places use separate woks or scrub them well between uses for allergic customers, but it sounds like they may be too busy for that on Carnival.

Thanks in advance!

The few times I had the Mongolian Wok, I saw a kitchen worker quickly wash (don't know if soap was involved) and put back to reuse. If I had a food allergy and I saw/heard about this, I wouldn't take the chance.

If you still want to try the Mongolian Wok, I would suggest you watch how the woks are cleaned first.

The few times I had the Mongolian Wok, I saw a kitchen worker quickly wash (don't know if soap was involved) and put back to reuse. If I had a food allergy and I saw/heard about this, I wouldn't take the chance.

If you still want to try the Mongolian Wok, I would suggest you watch how the woks are cleaned first.

Besides the woks getting a cursory swish, the lids are not washed between uses.