Over Door Shoe Hanger Question

Lady_Jag

I think they are a no no due to the paint scratching. There are some things you can hang from hangers in the closet for additional storage although I'll have to say comparing our experiences on the Wonder and Fantasy, for whatever reason, we found the storage to be better on the Fantasy than the Wonder and only kept smaller items in the hanger thing. I've gotten a jewelry hanger that goes over a hanger to keep KTTW cards in, med bottles, charges, small things like that which are what usually need the most keeping track of.

Cant use the over door shoe hangar anymore? Why not?

Also, can I use bungees to secure my door banner instead of magnets?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Besides the scratch damage (both to the door and the frame), because the doors are a fairly tight fit into the frames, some of the doors were being forced out of alignment due to the extra metal between them on the over the door hangers.

I'm not sure how you'd attach bungees. Were you thinking similar to the over the door holders? By hooking one end of the bungee to the door? If so, it probably wouldn't be allowed either.

Pretty much only magnetic mounts are allowed. There were just too many problems and they did enforce this on the Dream. One option that would work would be to attach a long wide strip of felt to the top of the banner and drape that over the door with something on the other side to counterweight it...

We had a banner like that and they were fine with it (with the caveat it came from Disney in the Parks)...

This picture shows the Disney version in the background...

MC1007_dt.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The Fantasy has 3 pegs at the end of the bed that are perfectly placed to hang a shoe holder. The outside holes of the shoe holder I had lined up perfectly with the pegs. The holder holes are to small to fit over the pegs so bring zip ties, string, or ribbon.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the replies!

Shmoo, I take two sets of bungees. My banner has metal grommets in each corner, so one end of a bungee goes in each grommet. Then I cross the bungees on the back of the door and attach all the remaining ends to each other so that the make an "X."

But maybe I'll just use twine or string this time. :cool:

Thanks for the replies!

Shmoo, I take two sets of bungees. My banner has metal grommets in each corner, so one end of a bungee goes in each grommet. Then I cross the bungees on the back of the door and attach all the remaining ends to each other so that the make an "X."

You are not allowed to attached anything to the actual door unless it is a magnet now. Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying.

Pack less crap and you won't need one. Cruised a dozen times with four people in a stateroom and have never needed one. People bring too much stuff they don't need.

yup. :) 12-days, carry-on suitcase, computer bag, purse.

Edited by mdvlprof

Thanks for the replies!

For goodness sakes, no banner unless it is attached by magnets ONLY!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=38068760&postcount=1

Just do what they ask! Magnetic ONLY!

Buy some magnetic stick on strips and use those!

ex techie

For goodness sakes, no banner unless it is attached by magnets ONLY!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=38068760&postcount=1

Just do what they ask! Magnetic ONLY!

Buy some magnetic stick on strips and use those!

ex techie

Wow, sorry to have stressed you out over something simple like a banner! :rolleyes:

Just calm down, I'm NOT attaching the banner directly to the door. It's essentially "tied" to the door like a ribbon around a Christmas present. I usually use bungees because it's easier, but if just the mention of bungees sends people into apoplectic shock, then I will use twine or string.

Deep breaths, now. It's all good. :D

Do you not understand that DCL says you cannot attach anything to your door in any way except with magnets? What I'm hearing is multiple ways to work around the rule. There are 2 issues--messing up the paint on the doors and the bulk of whatever causing the door to be in mis-alignment. As a consequence, the regulation is that you attach only by magnets and that you may be charged if you use any other means (if other means require that the door be painted or reinstalled. Maybe one of your ideas will work--using twine or Christmas ribbon or whatever. But it is still a violation of DCL's rules!

Wow, sorry to have stressed you out over something simple like a banner! :rolleyes:

Just calm down, I'm NOT attaching the banner directly to the door. It's essentially "tied" to the door like a ribbon around a Christmas present. I usually use bungees because it's easier, but if just the mention of bungees sends people into apoplectic shock, then I will use twine or string.

Deep breaths, now. It's all good. :D

It's not your door, you don't own it! You rented it, like the room.

And you obviously missed (or skipped over) the part of Shmoo's post where it mention door alignment?

Besides the scratch damage (both to the door and the frame), because the doors are a fairly tight fit into the frames, some of the doors were being forced out of alignment due to the extra metal between them on the over the door hangers..

No one on here is having an apoplectic shock, I personally are just stunned at how you can disregard the request to ONLY USE MAGNETIC ADHESION for your banner?

As requested by the cruise line. Specifically.

Use your twine or string if you must.

BUT the cruise line ask that you USE MAGNETS ONLY.

NO Twine, NO String, No Ribbons, No nothing, except for MAGNETS.

Why is that so hard for you to just do what they ask?

ex techie

It's not your door, you don't own it! You rented it, like the room.

And you obviously missed (or skipped over) the part of Shmoo's post where it mention door alignment?

No one on here is having an apoplectic shock, I personally are just stunned at how you can disregard the request to ONLY USE MAGNETIC ADHESION for your banner?

As requested by the cruise line. Specifically.

Use your twine or string if you must.

BUT the cruise line ask that you USE MAGNETS ONLY.

NO Twine, NO String, No Ribbons, No nothing, except for MAGNETS.

Why is that so hard for you to just do what they ask?

ex techie

Calm down, dear. Magnets on my vinyl banner will just slide down the door, which means possibly scratching the door. :eek: Ergo, I will use twine or string in accordance with the "spirit of the law," thereby not damaging the door.

Inhale. Exhale. Ohmmmmmmm :cool:

Calm down, dear. Magnets on my vinyl banner will just slide down the door, which means possibly scratching the door. :eek: Ergo, I will use twine or string in accordance with the "spirit of the law," thereby not damaging the door.

Inhale. Exhale. Ohmmmmmmm :cool:

Then one can only consider this a closed thread by yourself as you already have your plan made.

And as John would say, FFS.

I have no need for you to tell me to inhale or exhale, by body does that for me thanks.

Good luck using the "spirit of the law" once aboard.

I'm sure you will find your feet once very much grounded by the Cast, Crew and other good people aboard your cruise.

Wish you all the best.

ex techie

Keep in mind that sometimes the cast members are not even saying anything to the guests and just adding the charge now. I have seen a few people now come home with unknown charges only to find out when they call it's for things like this. Now it really will depend on your room steward and if he says anything or anyone walking down the hall. They may not care one bit and you will be fine. I know different CM's sometimes are more strict than others. I have taken pictures of my daughter in the club before and once I was going to take one in front of the clu of my daughter, as she was washing her hands, with only my niece next to her and I was told I wasn't allowed to. so again it just depends.

I know I am not understanding how you are tying it to the door but I think host Mick may have a point too. Be sure it doesn't mess with any seals. But I kind of remember being able to stick something under the door once when leaving a note for friends, so they might not be air tight.

I called and asked. (Something I guess I should have done to begin with.) I was told twine would be okay - just nothing like adhesives or anything that will mar the door or remove the paint.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Be aware, if you call and ask 3 different CMs, you'll quite likely to get 3 different answers. The CMs answering the phones generally have no actual experience with how things work on the ships. And it's the people onboard the ship who make the decisions.

Be aware, if you call and ask 3 different CMs, you'll quite likely to get 3 different answers. The CMs answering the phones generally have no actual experience with how things work on the ships. And it's the people onboard the ship who make the decisions.

Yep!!! I have been given some really bad advice from phone CM's some including passport info. :eek: