Dolphin Swim in Grand Bahamas or Cozumel?

MisterBill99

Are there any good (and reasonably priced) sources for the Dolphin Swim in either Grand Bahamas or Cozumel? We are sailing Grandeur OTS in August, RCCL is sold out (at $164 or so PP) in GB and available at $179 in Cozumel. My travel agent pointed me at a source for $75/169 (encounter/swim) in GB, which is pretty close to RCCL prices. He also found http://www.cometocozumel.com/english/sub/activities-dolphin-royal.asp in Cozumel for $125 for the swim, which is more along the lines of what I'm willing to pay (I am sorry we did not do it for $100 when we did Voyager 3 years ago). Are there any other sources for good tours at prices more reasonable than RCCL? GB would probably be best since we want to save time for shopping in Cozumel, but we could probably do something for a few hours there if I found a good place.

Thanks..

Bill

In Cozumel you can go to Chankanaaub - a national park. (It was $10 cab ride there & $10@ to get in). They have swim with the dolphins there. We watched an were impressed with time spent in water and actions with the dolphin. They have bars, food, good beach, snorkling, etc. Also Dolphin Encounter which IS NOT worth the $$$$$$$$! Doing things on your own is usually less expensive than ships tour. Think you can find out more just searching for the park on the net or use the search on this board.

I did a "swim with the dolphins" experience in the Bahamas several years ago. We were staying on Paradise Island and we were taken on a boat to the enclosure, which I think was on another island, but not sure. Sorry to be a bit vague, but I really can't remember any details other than I know they do it here.

There was about 8 of us in the water with the dolphins and we were all made to wear life jackets. The dolphins kept swimming back and forth so we could stroke them etc and then they threw us all a fish to feed them. After that we took off our life jackets and were propelled by two of them pushing their noses below your feet so you "ski" on the water - which was one of the best experiences ever.

They are in an enclosure of types though, but purpose built with netting rather than solid walls and decking to walk around the enclosure.

Sorry I can't be any more help.

In Nassau you go to Blue Lagoon Island - about 1/2 HOUR BOAT RIDE-(That's what it was called when we were there). This is probably where the ship's tour goes.

In Cahnkanaaub there was only one woman in with the dolphins. on ship's tour you would have other passengers in water with you. We haven't been there in a bit but think it was $125 to swim when we were there. You can reserve or just go sign up when you get there.

http://www.dolphindiscovery.com

and

http://www.cozumelinsider.com

beware there is a difference between swimming and an encounter. Make sure you are getting what you want before youbook.

Also--this excursion books quickyl and may sell out before you sail. Make reservations ASAP.

So it seems like the Cozumel dolphin swim is $125 PP PLUS entrance to the park (website says it is $12) PLUS getting to the park (is that $10 PP or for your whole party?). Sudden the RCCL price doesn't look quite AS bad.

Archived