Snorkeling question

superduper123

I call them life vests, (which are thin foam or inflatable), not to be confused with the bulky squared-off life jackets in your cabin onboard ship that may or may not be taken to the muster drill.

As for who's providing the excursions, if you look on tripadvisor (which I believe is associated w CC) and pick an outfit that gets overwhelmingly positive reviews and has no safety concerns cited by those who've written those reviews, I'd have no worries about using them. You occasionally find when you get there that it's an outfit the cruise line uses as well, the only difference being that if you booked with that local company directly, you'll pay significantly less than those who booked it as a cruise line excursion.

Edited by jeph

Maybe that's why they are much cheaper. Usually the reason I've been given for the life vests is that they are required for liability insurance. I honestly have never asked private operators for proof of insurance, but that seems like a reasonable question to ask about.

Not really. Any ship excursion is always more expensive regardless of the type of excursion.

I honestly know nothing about liability insurance in the Caribbean. Since it's not the US, they may not have the same laws that we have here. I can say that when we snorkeled with Captain Alan in St. Martin, we had to sign a waiver that released them from all liabilities. He was the one who offered life vests to anyone who needed one.

• 3 months later...
My wonderful wife can't swim.

To snorkel, we purchased an inflatable life vest (bright yellow for visibility) and she wears it every time she's in the water. When deflated, it is flat and fits nicely in the bottom of her luggage. When inflated, it keeps her afloat and can enjoy snorkeling.

When the ocean is rough, we have a "leash" connected to each other to prevent her from floating away. We always bring our own snorkel equipment but leave the fins at home. (It may be a lot of fun to have someone capture your first snorkeling adventure with an underwater camera.) Have fun and happy sailing. :)

Hi Bonsai3s. Can you give me more information about your "leash"? That sounds like what I have been looking for but unable to find. Thanks! Janice

Hello! Yes, life jackets are provided, however, on the handful or snorkeling excursions I have been on my opinion is that while you don't have to be a "strong" swimmer, you will want to have a level of confidence/comfort in being in the ocean. The swells can move you around a lot, gently, but still you get swept around up and down, so you just want to be strong enough to be able to get yourself around, and confident enough in your ability to do so. I have witnessed people getting right back on the boat, even with life jackets. But again, having said that, that happens to very few. Most are fine! Have a great time!

I totally agree with this because it's what happened to me. I can't really swim, I'm more of a dog peddler. I used to freak out when I'd have to jump off a boat or dingy straight into the water. Over the years I have gotten over it but I still don't feel comfortable unless either my DH or DS are near me. I do love snorkeling though and have gotten better over the years. If she is taking swimming lessons she will be fine. I never have taken them although I made sure the DS had them. He's an excellent swimmer as is the DH. I also am able to float and I think that helps. I snorkeled all over Mexico and the Caribbean without any problems. :D Funniest thing is that I was born and raised in FL! LOL! My mom had a fear of water so I never learned to swim.

Edited by mousey

• 5 months later...

Since I am not a swimmer but want to enjoy all the great snorkeling opportunities on our next cruise I signed myself up for snorkeling lessons. I know...really :eek: I also signed up my husband (he is a great swimmer) and we both got a lot out of the lessons! We learned basic safety, international hand signals, diving with snorkel gear, treading water and the best way to walk in/out of the water (backwards). As we have scheduled seven snorkeling excursions in our twelve ports I decided to purchase my own equipment and use that during the class. Now I feel SO much more confident and can't wait for our cruise. I highly recommend a class (it was cheap...$25 for a two hour class).

Hi Bonsai3s. Can you give me more information about your "leash"? That sounds like what I have been looking for but unable to find. Thanks! Janice

You could use a life jacket tether available from West Marine. In rough weather, sailors use them to connect to jack lines, which run the length of the boat or to pad eyes for specific tasks (e.g., in the cockpit while steering).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If the snorkel area has current, swells or waves I think you need to be a decent and confident swimmer. A friend of ours recently learned to swim and practiced snorkeling at the Y for the trip. She did well at the first stop in a protected area. The second stop had a current and decent swells . . . not good, we referred to it as "silver alert" time. Fortunately she was wearing a dive vest and had inflated it a bit so she knew she was safe, but she was uncomfortable and scared while we towed her back.

Fun topic. I have been snorkeling and have also done my share of SCUBA for nearly sixty years! And we taught DD to snorkel at Coki Beach (St Thomas) when she was 5! So lets talk about snorkeling and cruise lines. All cruise line snorkel excursions require participants to wear some type of flotation device (usually an inflatable vest called a Buoyancy Compensator (BC)). If you go snorkeling on your own or via a local tour, most will not wear any vest although most tour operators have them on demand.

As to the level of swimming ability, we think it really depends on where you snorkel. In calm seas, with little wind or current, a beginner can snorkel. In fact, even those who cannot swim can snorkel by putting a small amount of air in their BC to help keep them afloat. Personally, we do not think anyone should snorkel in water more then waist deep unless they have some swimming ability.

The most important rule of all is to never snorkel (or SCUBA dive) alone! Always be with a competent "buddy" who can render help if needed. This is also a good rule for any swimming in open water (or off a beach). Even strong swimmers can get in trouble (once in a lifetime might be your last time). We once helped pull a young muscular guy (in his 20s) out of a rip current in Puerto Plata. The irony was that the two of us who rescued this guy were in our 60s and not nearly as strong as the guy in trouble. But this young guy (on his honeymoon) did not understand about ocean swimming and rip currents...and you cannot overcome a "rip" with muscle.

As to the question raised by the OP, assuming your friend masters just basic swimming skills they should be fine on a snorkel excursion. But, it is wise to let the tour guides/instructors know that one is a novice. And make sure your friend is always within a few feet of a "buddy" who is comfortable in the water.

Hank