Formal Night & Getting Dress Up ?

Lots of superfluous information in your post, so I pared it down to just the important part. If you're flying domestically on American, it says "Charges may apply," and if you click on that for more details, it tells you $25 for the first checked bag, unless you fall under one of the exceptions (such as flying first/business class, being an elite frequent flyer, purchase using an AA-sponsored credit card, etc.).

not really.. I flew from CMH to JFK to BNC so I did not have any baggage charge. if she doesn't want to go formal don't blame it on a $25 charge for luggage she should just say we don't do formal which is fine with me. from what I saw last week the constant.. not many wear a tux anymore just the old guys is BS. again wear one or not but why start another formal thread hoping for folks to back your decision either way. do what makes you happy and we do what makes us happy. as long as you shower up and don't wear the same shirt you have worn for three days have a seat.

not really.. I flew from CMH to JFK to BNC so I did not have any baggage charge. if she doesn't want to go formal don't blame it on a $25 charge for luggage she should just say we don't do formal which is fine with me. from what I saw last week the constant.. not many wear a tux anymore just the old guys is BS. again wear one or not but why start another formal thread hoping for folks to back your decision either way. do what makes you happy and we do what makes us happy. as long as you shower up and don't wear the same shirt you have worn for three days have a seat.

If you meant BCN (Barcelona), then you are correct. There are different rules for international itineraries. If it's all domestic, there will be a charge, unless you fall under one of the exemptions (pretty much what I said above). If you really meant BNC, I had to look that airport code up. It's in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. I'm pretty sure RCCL doesn't sail out of there. :D

:eek::eek: gee you got me, this old dumb ass made a typo.. I think the original OP was do you or don't you not a request for anyone to rip everyone else about their choice. again wear whatever floats your boat but don't blame you decision on an airline rule.

now if you really want to know what bugs me it's folks getting into the elevator who obviously have not showered since they got on the ship.

Edited by Sherlock43031

:eek::eek: gee you got me, this old dumb ass make a typo.. I think the original OP was do you or don't you not a request for anyone to rip everyone else about their choice. again wear whatever floats your boat but don't blame you decision on an airline rule.

now if you really want to know what bugs me it's folks getting into the elevator who obviously have not showered since they got on the ship.

I do blame the airlines for charging per bag! Otherwise I would pack like Lovie Howell on Gilligan's Island.

Now you have a complaint on people who smell?? Better get your complaint letter ready ... No towel animals, smelly towels, no escargot, smoking pro or against...reduced time in port on Allure...

**rolls eyes**

:eek::eek: gee you got me, this old dumb ass made a typo.. I think the original OP was do you or don't you not a request for anyone to rip everyone else about their choice. again wear whatever floats your boat but don't blame you decision on an airline rule.

Relax. I wasn't trying to "get you" on the typo. I just put that in as a humorous comment (hence the big smiley face). The main comment is that, yes, almost all airlines charge a luggage fee, even on the first bag. International itineraries have different baggage rules, which is why you didn't have to pay.

So, I was just trying to give you correct information about baggage fees. It had nothing to do with ripping you or anyone else about their choices. :cool:

I do blame the airlines for charging per bag! Otherwise I would pack like Lovie Howell on Gilligan's Island.

Now you have a complaint on people who smell?? Better get your complaint letter ready ... No towel animals, smelly towels, no escargot, smoking pro or against...reduced time in port on Allure...

**rolls eyes**

honey get over yourself.. few really give a rat's butt about how you dress. but, if $25 is going to make or break your trip should you really be cruising? every time the wife and I ordered a pair of drinks we are close to the $25 mark. towel animals are are fun we have pictures of each one. smelly (lazy) people are just rude (ring a bell?) escargot, we could care less wouldn't touch it. we had reduce time in naples (stuff happens) because of the storm last week. it was a rough ride trying to get from naples to barcelona with 40 knot head winds. as far as complaint letters who do you think really reads those? some office intern who will send you a computer generated letter.

I was just wondering what the average age range is on cruise critic. Can anyone give me some insight on this?

I'm sure it's a wide range...

If Sherlock could read..I never said $25 broke my trip, I said I pack differently. I don't like paying the airlines for my bags.

Edited by Pebbles468

GEEZ!!! If you want to dress up for formal nights (and I do) do so. If not, don't. If you want to get all "duded" up, that's okay. If you want to look like a slob, that's okay. It's your vacation, enjoy it!

Now, let's get down to a less controversial subject like smoking!

Elvis

I've heard that lobster tail costs extra on formal night on Royal? It's free on Carnival. My husband will be disappointed! He eats like 5 tails, and that's about the only way I can get him dressed up! :(

GEEZ!!! If you want to dress up for formal nights (and I do) do so. If not, don't. If you want to get all "duded" up, that's okay. If you want to look like a slob, that's okay. It's your vacation, enjoy it!

Elvis

I've heard that lobster tail costs extra on formal night on Royal? It's free on Carnival. My husband will be disappointed! He eats like 5 tails, and that's about the only way I can get him dressed up! :(

Royal still offers "free" lobster tail one night on cruises of 5 nights or longer based out of the US.

They also offer an extra cost whole Maine lobster every night on all cruises for something like $35.

Not to worry; you've heard wrong. So just assure your husband that he'll be getting some tail, and I'm sure he'll dress up for you. :cool:

We wear the same basic outfits every night, no matter which night it is... except for the first night. We pretty much wear whatever we're wearing that day to dinner.

I wear Dockers and a nice shirt. Usually what I've been told is called a camp shirt and I often have a Spanish-style Guayabera or two if I'm feeling a little dangerous. My wife normally wears a regular dress to dinner or dress slacks and a blouse.

I have, in the past, worn a suit at my wife's request. She will wear a nicer dress (not a ball gown) to match that. That may happen again, but never on anything less than a weeklong cruise. A 3-6 night cruise gets the standard uniform. A longer one, we will negotiate. I dress up several times a week... and I hate it. I don't need to impress people at The Geriatric Prom® or anything. It's fine for others, but I see no point in it at all.

It's too much trouble to pack that heavily. I'd rather take one or two pairs of Dockers (have them washed if they get dirty or wrinkled) and a different shirt for dinner each night. Lightweight, functional, comfortable, AND STILL VERY VERY VERY PRESENTABLE.

On the Oasis last week, we only had the free lobster tail on the second formal night. It wasn't that great. Our server wanted to bring more but we said no. It was a good size but overcooked and tough, much like their fish througout the week (over cooked). We also had escargot on the same night but it wasn't on the menu and our server told us about it the night before and told us to reminder her to order it. It wasn't that great either, just oily and not much flavor.

We wear the same basic outfits every night, no matter which night it is... except for the first night. We pretty much wear whatever we're wearing that day to dinner.

I wear Dockers and a nice shirt. Usually what I've been told is called a camp shirt and I often have a Spanish-style Guayabera or two if I'm feeling a little dangerous. My wife normally wears a regular dress to dinner or dress slacks and a blouse.

I have, in the past, worn a suit at my wife's request. She will wear a nicer dress (not a ball gown) to match that. That may happen again, but never on anything less than a weeklong cruise. A 3-6 night cruise gets the standard uniform. A longer one, we will negotiate. I dress up several times a week... and I hate it. I don't need to impress people at The Geriatric Prom® or anything. It's fine for others, but I see no point in it at all.

It's too much trouble to pack that heavily. I'd rather take one or two pairs of Dockers (have them washed if they get dirty or wrinkled) and a different shirt for dinner each night. Lightweight, functional, comfortable, AND STILL VERY VERY VERY PRESENTABLE.

Love your registered name for formal night! :D

I take great exception to the term "Geriatric Prom." Why I even..................what were we talking about?

Elvis (I think)

Elvis

I agree! We enjoy dressing up but it will not kill my vacation for those that don't.

very apt description! reminds me high school reunions.. The occasion on board is more like a theme party.. not a true formal occasion. But each to their own, dress nicely and be done with it.