Formal Night & Getting Dress Up ?

That's so true! The last funeral we went to was 2 years ago for my husband's mother, he wore a dark suit and I wore a dress & heels. We were so over dressed! The only other man in a suit was the minister. :D And I think I was the only dress there!

What I find really funny is people making the same comments on an old thread!:D

Sherri:)

Formal wear threads are just like the episodes of the original Star Trek TV show. No matter how many times they have been rebroadcast over the last forty + years the script never changes and Captain Kirk always gets the alien girl!:D

BTW in 2260 there are no ties to be seen anywhere on that ship!;)

We really enjoy dressing up for formal nights as it's not something we get to do very often on shore. My husband wears a tux and I have a nice collection of evening dresses accumulated over our years of cruising.

Irregardless of Dynamic Dining, and what everyone else is doing, we shall still dress formally on a couple of evenings on our next two cruises as we've never been bothered what anyone else thinks, and we never pass judgement on what anyone else is wearing either. Each to their own and enjoy the cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Couldn't have said it better myself! There is nothing like getting dressed "to the nines" and then going to dinner. It brings back memories of the golden days of sea travel.

Elvis

Golden days of sea travel are over! Wear what you want but be neat.

So to see that someone should think the ones wearing a tux/gown are "proper cruisers" ... absolutely absurd.... As long as I've paid my money for passage ... I am also a proper cruiser no matter what I wear... or as many do wear then run back to their cabin as fast as they can to get into more comfortable clothing!

Agree with you 100%. Proper would equate to manners.

what airlines do you fly that charges for the 1st checked bag per passenger?

All US airlines charge for the 1st and 2nd checked bags when flying in the US. The only exception is Southwest that does not charge for checked bags. Jet Blue will start charging for checked bags soon.

what airlines do you fly that charges for the 1st checked bag per passenger?

All US airlines charge for the 1st and 2nd checked bags when flying in the US. The only exception is Southwest that does not charge for checked bags. Jet Blue will start charging for checked bags soon.

Agree. I just booked (today) Jet Blue for a September flight and as of today the first checked bag per person is still free. Hate to see that go away.

Edited by davekathy

Opps 11 pages So I will have to contribute LOL

When we started cruising if you did not dress to the nines you felt out of place. Now days I only bring a jacket on local(we live in Fl) cruises. If we go on more exotic cruises that require/have time before or after in other countries, I just bring what I need to be HAPPY TRAVELING LIGHT. This is a must for trains and even rental cars(yes small) and hotels with out a lift.

I hope the rumor that the new ships will have a formal only dining venue is true, and yes. this would great for many people older, young, and nostalgic, and for those teaching their children proper manners, and special family events for the photographers to make memories for them.

Despite all said, we will look nicer than normal on Formal night but not dressy or formal.

Edited by north29

I'd be happy to skip mdr, but DH enjoys it. I think it's too much time wasted on waiting. We dress for dinner. Black dress for me, jacket for DH, fancy dress for 3 year old. (She'd wear formal wear daily, so that's Easy.) I'd rather never get out of pj's, but I'm lazy. I'm a sahm, so cruise is the only time I dress nice. I'm OK with that.

We've done full formal ball gown and tux before.

Personally I find it ridiculous to dress up for formal nights in the MDR, which if it was a restaurant on land, would not warrant more than a nice shirt and slacks.

These days I only dress up in a dark suit and tie for client meetings, weddings and funerals. And I'm overdressed at every single one of these events. :(

But hey if people want to dress up on their cruise, go for it. It's your cruise, enjoy it however you like. :)

I went to a funeral this past Saturday for a friend's son. About 90% of the audience was dressed in suits/dresses or skirts.

Oddly, one kid (remember this is Florida, so temps aren't like where you are) showed up in cargo shorts and an undershirt. That was odd.