Royal caribbean lover, tries NCL DAWN.

Yurita

Hi all, Just back from NCL Dawn. I thought I would share my Freestyle experience since many of you may have the same questions I had when I first booked a NCL cruise without much knowledge of the line.

Please understand that my intention is NOT to offend anyone or get flamed after this review, in fact is to HELP others who have never sailed the cruise-line and/or share my experience with those who have.

Even though I have previously sailed on a 1 night NCL Star, I was sick during my trip, therefore was unable to really enjoy the NCL experience; however, this time, I was able to enjoy every single thing and notice differences from other cruiselines I have taken.

Positives about NCL : Quality of the food was good, diversity of cruisers, size of cabin's shower :D:D. I also enjoyed the Freestyle feeling (no schedule for dinner was definitely a plus and the highlight of this trip)

Things I did not like / Negatives in my personal opinion: Only 1 pool for an entire ship ( I cannot imagine taking a 7 night cruise on the Dawn).

The ship is one of the hardest ships to navigate that I've taken (especially going from the gym, to deck 4; the aft stairs close on deck 6, so you have to go back up to deck 7, walk forward and then go down again.

For some reason the cabins seemed to have really thin walls, and I mean THIN!!!, I heard my neighbor snore the entire night, people talk next door, even burp, laugh, cough (not to mention other things).... I was so embarrassed since I took my mom on this cruise, and she heard it all as well.:(:(

One of the main things I did realize was the importance of good shows during a cruise. The shows were really inferior compared to all shows I'm used with Royal caribbean.

The Thalassotherapy pool is not included, like on Princess/Celebrity or Royal. There was a charge of $45 per person for 2 days...

Royal offers the solarium which is a similar concept for FREE, Princess offers the Sanctuary pool/tubs for FREE and so does Celebrity, so yes, I was not happy about that.

Would I consider NCL again? I mean, with so much cruise diversity, it would have to be one of their newest ships that has more than 1 pool, with an amazing itinerary that no other line offers. I asked the same question to my mother and she said NCL had been her least favorite line after all 17 cruises she's taken. I guess our experience was not terrible, but it did not meet our expectations.

Thanks for your review.

For the negatives, I think many of the things that you did not like could have been found out ahead of time such as only one pool. A little research always pays off. You are an experienced cruiser and should be well prepared.

Entertainment is a tough one. What you enjoy might not be what another enjoys.

Edited by kcwingwalker

Hi all, Just back from NCL Dawn. I thought I would share my Freestyle experience since many of you may have the same questions I had when I first booked a NCL cruise without much knowledge of the line.

Please understand that my intention is NOT to offend anyone or get flamed after this review, in fact is to HELP others who have never sailed the cruise-line and/or share my experience with those who have.

Even though I have previously sailed on a 1 night NCL Star, I was sick during my trip, therefore was unable to really enjoy the NCL experience; however, this time, I was able to enjoy every single thing and notice differences from other cruiselines I have taken.

Positives about NCL : Quality of the food was good, diversity of cruisers, size of cabin's shower :D:D. I also enjoyed the Freestyle feeling (no schedule for dinner was definitely a plus and the highlight of this trip)

Things I did not like / Negatives in my personal opinion: Only 1 pool for an entire ship ( I cannot imagine taking a 7 night cruise on the Dawn).

The ship is one of the hardest ships to navigate that I've taken (especially going from the gym, to deck 4; the aft stairs close on deck 6, so you have to go back up to deck 7, walk forward and then go down again.

For some reason the cabins seemed to have really thin walls, and I mean THIN!!!, I heard my neighbor snore the entire night, people talk next door, even burp, laugh, cough (not to mention other things).... I was so embarrassed since I took my mom on this cruise, and she heard it all as well.:(:(

One of the main things I did realize was the importance of good shows during a cruise. The shows were really inferior compared to all shows I'm used with Royal caribbean.

The Thalassotherapy pool is not included, like on Princess/Celebrity or Royal. There was a charge of $45 per person for 2 days...

Royal offers the solarium which is a similar concept for FREE, Princess offers the Sanctuary pool/tubs for FREE and so does Celebrity, so yes, I was not happy about that.

Would I consider NCL again? I mean, with so much cruise diversity, it would have to be one of their newest ships that has more than 1 pool, with an amazing itinerary that no other line offers. I asked the same question to my mother and she said NCL had been her least favorite line after all 17 cruises she's taken. I guess our experience was not terrible, but it did not meet our expectations.

You are right about the pool thing. The one thing I like better on RCCL is the great solarium. You are also right about the food as I found RCCL food the worst we've ever experienced. I found entertainment comparable on both, but I imagine that varies ship to ship, itinerary to itinerary, individual to individual.

Surprised you didn't post this to RCCL board so everyone could say how right you are. Most of us here find the freestyle concept preferable. Not a flame, but I didn't post my negative RCCL review to that board but to the review section in case anyone wanted to research.

Good posting! I think the Pro's and Con's you listed will be thought provoking for others in the future looking for guidance. Obviously, everyone's experience will differ, as will their opinions --- but some of the things you touched on may make someone do a little more research before booking and help them determine what will best suit their needs (maybe even needs they didn't KNOW they had).

Happy cruising...:D

While you may believe these are free on Princess, Celebrity or Royal, if one were to compare stateroom prices between the NCL Dawn and various Princess, Celebrity or Royal ships for a similar stateroom and cruise length, you'd find that what you saved booking NCL more than makes up for the additional charges. Saying something is free on a ship with that would end up costing $500 to $1K+ more for the same type cruise is not a fair comparison.

We just got off the Dawn on Friday after a 14 night Caribbean cruise. The poster must have gotten on that Friday for the two night cruise to nowhere. I don't know how you can judge a cruise ship based on a 2 night booze cruise. The stewards cleaned out all the mini bars on our last night due to the they were not offering it on the 2 night cruise. We had a wonderful cruise and will book the dawn again.

We just got off the Dawn on Friday after a 14 night Caribbean cruise. The poster must have gotten on that Friday for the two night cruise to nowhere. I don't know how you can judge a cruise ship based on a 2 night booze cruise. The stewards cleaned out all the mini bars on our last night due to the they were not offering it on the 2 night cruise. We had a wonderful cruise and will book the dawn again.

A 2-night CTN would explain a lot.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise. I thought long and hard about your itinerary. I keep promising myself that one day I'll take a repositioning cruise that either starts or ends in my home town of Tampa. Ah well, some day. . . .

I thought long and hard about your itinerary. I keep promising myself that one day I'll take a repositioning cruise that either starts or ends in my home town of Tampa. Ah well, some day. . . .

We have a great reposition cruise coming up again next spring.. ;)

I am a Royal fan myself, I indeed love the Voyager class vessels. I will say the Solarium (complimentary)is in no way a similar concept, just an adults only area (sometimes). The Sanctuary (Fee) on Princess ships has no Thalassotherapy pool (unless on Royal Princess) or steam rooms and saunas.

In fact unless on RCCL newer builds they put them in, there were no nice spa areas to relax and get away from all the kids even for a fee.

Since I have sailed HAL I have discovered the spa package deals. I have paid for it on Celebrity too. I have not sailed RCCL partly due to their lack of thalassotherapy pools and relaxation areas.

Hot tubs unless in the spa are free on NCL.

While I do perfer the Voyager class ships (the design) just because I do. I don't agree with you on the Solarium being any way similar to the Dawns spa.

Sailed Royal only one time back in 2008 and wasn't overly impressed. Going to give them another shot this coming Sept.

I do think Royal is a lot different than NCL but the thing is, different doesn't equate better if you don't cruise for the things RCI offers. My dh and I personally prefer the NCL experience. If the OP likes what RCI offers better that's just a personal thing. At least they TRIED another line.

Nothing makes me more nauseous than a person who sails solely one one line and has bad things to say about the others when they have never even tried to step out of their comfort zone.

We have a great reposition cruise coming up again next spring.. ;)

We've looked at that one as well... Even lurked a little on your roll call. The trouble is that we've just bought a new home and our cruise fund is in an iron lung right now. We may yet actually show up on your sailing, but we'd have to wait until a couple of weeks ahead of embarkation and snag a last-minute deal.