Alaska Airlines Companion Fare w/VISA card

Hogladyrider

Anyone have experience with Alaska Airlines companion fare via their VISA cc?

It almost seems "too good to be true" that once a year a companion can fly with you for $118+.

Of course there is a $75 annual fee for the CC but if the companion fare is authentic it almost seems like it would be worth the fee if one were flying from east coast to Alaska since the airfare rates I have been seeing on AA are pretty pricey.

My wife and I both have the card.

We use for our cruises out of Florida. We've also used it for trips to Hawaii and Mexico

Have you used the companion fare when you travel? Is it complicated?

I am contemplating signing up for the card to take advantage of the companion air fare especially since I am looking at booking RT flights for two from Florida to Anchorage Alaska for July 2014 and then again in 2015.

We do not fly much so I need all the wisdom people can offer. We live close to several of the ports in Florida so we opt to drive to them but now I have a Alaska land trip planned in 2014 and possibly another one in 2015 and I think this card would be beneficial.

I am not one who has a lot of cc's so I am in the research process.

Thanks in advance.

Using the companion fare is very easy; you just book online then follow the prompts for redeeming the electronic "coupon" when you book. One good thing is that the "companion" receives full frequent flyer miles for the trip, same as the cardholder.

Two notes - First, the cardholder has to be on the itinerary, so you can't pay for a ticket for your nephew and have your niece accompany him using the companion ticket. And second, the whole trip has to be on Alaska airlines planes - no partner or codeshare sectors.

As others have said, this used to be good on first class fares, which was a screaming deal.

Using the companion fare is very easy; you just book online then follow the prompts for redeeming the electronic "coupon" when you book. One good thing is that the "companion" receives full frequent flyer miles for the trip, same as the cardholder.

Two notes - First, the cardholder has to be on the itinerary, so you can't pay for a ticket for your nephew and have your niece accompany him using the companion ticket. And second, the whole trip has to be on Alaska airlines planes - no partner or codeshare sectors.

As others have said, this used to be good on first class fares, which was a screaming deal.

The ENTIRE flight has to be on Alaska airlines, that may be a deal killer because I have not seen one of those going from Orlando to Anchorage, they all seem to share meaning part of the flight is Alaska Airlines and part is a partner airline.

So the companion fare may not be such a great deal if I can not find a flight. :confused:

The ENTIRE flight has to be on Alaska airlines, that may be a deal killer because I have not seen one of those going from Orlando to Anchorage, they all seem to share meaning part of the flight is Alaska Airlines and part is a partner airline.

So the companion fare may not be such a great deal if I can not find a flight. :confused:

Why can't you do it all on Alaska?

Flight 19 from MCO to SEA..

Then there are plenty of flights to ANC. Two the same night you arrive and plenty the next morning if you spend the night in Seattle..

Why can't you do it all on Alaska?

Flight 19 from MCO to SEA..

Then there are plenty of flights to ANC. Two the same night you arrive and plenty the next morning if you spend the night in Seattle..

I will check it out, I need more education on purchasing air fare. All I know is to go to the airline and put in the dates and hit the button.

I guess I need to play around a little like you suggested MCO to SEA then onto ANC.

When we flew to Vancouver in 2009 it was Alaska Airlines from SEA to Vancouver and they were first class all the way.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I will check it out, I need more education on purchasing air fare. All I know is to go to the airline and put in the dates and hit the button.

I guess I need to play around a little like you suggested MCO to SEA then onto ANC.

When we flew to Vancouver in 2009 it was Alaska Airlines from SEA to Vancouver and they were first class all the way.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Go to http://www.alaskaairlines.com

Put in MCO to ANC

You'll get flights from Orlando to Seattle, Seattle to Anchorage all on Alaska metal.

Just be careful of the flight you select from SEA to ANC and the return.

Most are non stop, but some are what we call milk runs.

SEA-KTN-Wrangel-Peterberg-JNU- and finally ANC

That could make for a long day.

Alaska also flies into FLL and ATL as an FYI if any of those are closer.

Edited by klfrodo

Have you used the companion fare when you travel? Is it complicated?

Thanks in advance.

As Gardyloo stated its very easy.

First,, sign up for an Alaska Frequent Flyer account.

Very easy.

Then log into your account and apply for the Visa card.

About a month later, they will automatically put your Companion Code into your "My Discounts" area under your "My Account"

When you're ready to book, log into Alaskas website, go to My Account, click on My Discounts, highlight the companion fare area, then click Book Now,,,, viola,,, you book your flight at the price you want, it calculates the companion fare,,, and off you go.

Most are non stop, but some are what we call milk runs. SEA-KTN-Wrangel-Peterberg-JNU- and finally ANC

That could make for a long day.

FWIW, I've done the combi run up to ANC. First Juneau, then to Yakutat and then to Cordova. Personally, I found it a neat way to get to somewhere I'd never be otherwise and also a chance to look at how freight gets handled at these stations. Plus, IIRC, at Yakutat there is a neat little bar/restaurant at the airport. Got to meet a few locals while containers were being loaded/unloaded. Again, an experience you wouldn't get otherwise.

FWIW, I've done the combi run up to ANC. First Juneau, then to Yakutat and then to Cordova. Personally, I found it a neat way to get to somewhere I'd never be otherwise and also a chance to look at how freight gets handled at these stations. Plus, IIRC, at Yakutat there is a neat little bar/restaurant at the airport. Got to meet a few locals while containers were being loaded/unloaded. Again, an experience you wouldn't get otherwise.

Agreed

From the Alaskaair.com website

Who can use my Companion Fare Discount Code?

The Mileage Plan™ member who owns the Companion Fare Discount Code must either be one of the travelers or the purchaser of the reservation. If the member is allowing two travelers to use his or her Companion Fare Discount Code, then the member's name must match the name on the credit card used to purchase the reservation.

I have used my companion fare to bring my 2 daughters home to Hawaii from Seattle for Christmas so I was the purchaser of the reservation. We love Alaska Air and both my husband and I have the credit cards with companion fare. the nonstop flight from LIH to SEA has become pricey because of its popularity. Sometimes we have to spend the night in Seattle to get to the east coast, but the companion fare makes it worth the stop.

I also like Alaska's policy of refunding money in the event the ticket price goes down. I register my flights on Yapta and they notify me if the price drops so I can go the the Alaska website and claim a refund which they put in my "wallet" to be used for the next ticket I buy.

And when you telephone Alaska Air, their call centers are in the US.

From the Alaskaair.com website

Who can use my Companion Fare Discount Code?

The Mileage Plan™ member who owns the Companion Fare Discount Code must either be one of the travelers or the purchaser of the reservation. If the member is allowing two travelers to use his or her Companion Fare Discount Code, then the member's name must match the name on the credit card used to purchase the reservation.

I have used my companion fare to bring my 2 daughters home to Hawaii from Seattle for Christmas so I was the purchaser of the reservation. We love Alaska Air and both my husband and I have the credit cards with companion fare. the nonstop flight from LIH to SEA has become pricey because of its popularity. Sometimes we have to spend the night in Seattle to get to the east coast, but the companion fare makes it worth the stop.

I also like Alaska's policy of refunding money in the event the ticket price goes down. I register my flights on Yapta and they notify me if the price drops so I can go the the Alaska website and claim a refund which they put in my "wallet" to be used for the next ticket I buy.

And when you telephone Alaska Air, their call centers are in the US.

Okay, sorry for the false information (or poor memory, or maybe AS has changed the rules.) Good to know.

• 1 month later...

First and most importantly THANK YOU to all who have responded to my repeated questions. Your input has been a TREMENDOUS asset in my planning.

I had received my Alaska Airlines cc and companion code and if you will indulge me an additional opinion question I would be grateful.

I have been watching the prices daily and originally my "thought process" was wait until January don't book right before Christmas prices may go down. There is no logic behind my thought process AND when I checked the prices this morning, Saturday, 12/21 just before 8 am EST I found round trip for two using my companion fare for $1000. and change.

Leave MCO 7/24 6:55 pm to Seattle, change planes arrive in ANC at 1:37 am.

Leave ANK 8/4 at 12:35 am to Seattle, change planes arrive in MCO 4:25 pm that afternoon

I am seeking your opinions if $500 pp is a good price, my mind says it is, for this roundtrip Orlando to Anchorage and return or do you think it may drop some in January?

We have our hotel reservations already with free pickup at the airport, we can get some sleep when we arrive and then head out for our own leisure days in Anchorage before our trip begins.

I am very pleased with my AA cc and plan on using the mileage to book airfare in 2015 for another Alaska cruise.

Happy holidays and thanks in advance I can not find the words to express how helpful you all have been! My ONLY experience with flight arrangements is with Southwest from Florida to Providence!

Susan

First and most importantly THANK YOU to all who have responded to my repeated questions. Your input has been a TREMENDOUS asset in my planning.

I had received my Alaska Airlines cc and companion code and if you will indulge me an additional opinion question I would be grateful.

I have been watching the prices daily and originally my "thought process" was wait until January don't book right before Christmas prices may go down. There is no logic behind my thought process AND when I checked the prices this morning, Saturday, 12/21 just before 8 am EST I found round trip for two using my companion fare for $1000. and change.

Leave MCO 7/24 6:55 pm to Seattle, change planes arrive in ANC at 1:37 am.

Leave ANK 8/4 at 12:35 am to Seattle, change planes arrive in MCO 4:25 pm that afternoon

I am seeking your opinions if $500 pp is a good price, my mind says it is, for this roundtrip Orlando to Anchorage and return or do you think it may drop some in January?

We have our hotel reservations already with free pickup at the airport, we can get some sleep when we arrive and then head out for our own leisure days in Anchorage before our trip begins.

I am very pleased with my AA cc and plan on using the mileage to book airfare in 2015 for another Alaska cruise.

Happy holidays and thanks in advance I can not find the words to express how helpful you all have been! My ONLY experience with flight arrangements is with Southwest from Florida to Providence!

Susan

No reason not to book right now. Alaska will refund (in the form of a future credit) any fare difference if the price goes down. You just have to click a few buttons on their website to request it.

And $500 MCO-ANC is a very good deal. Would you consider $500 return to Dublin Ireland a good deal? MCO-DUB is about the same distance as MCO-SEA-ANC

Excellent points, thank you!

I was not aware that AA would honor price drops with future credits, then it is a no brainer for me, especially to get the flight times that work with our schedules.

Thank you so much, happy holidays!

Susan

A minor nit to pick - AA is American Airlines. Alaska Airlines' symbol is AS.

Geesh.......it was NEVER my intent to offend anyone.

Thanks for the correction on the Alaska Airlines abbreviation!

Susan

No offense taken. If you hang out on the Cruise Air forum you will find those who are pretty anal about really petty things. Another one is using SW for Southwest Airlines (which some people even on Flyer Talk do!). At least Gardyloo did it in a nice way :)

Another one is using SW for Southwest Airlines (which some people even on Flyer Talk do!). At least Gardyloo did it in a nice way :)
Hey, it's time for Air Namibia!!! And yes, you could take it to get to a cruise on the RMS St. Helena from Walvis Bay. :D :D

IMHO it's more than a nitpick in this specific case. Alaska Airlines (AS) and American (AA) have many codeshare flights. Hogladyrider, since you seem new to this and are learning the ropes (great that you are), a codeshare is where one airline has an agreement with other airline(s) to sell seats on that flight as their own. For example the MCO-SEA flight is AS19 on an Alaska Airlines plane (referred to as Alaska "metal"). However, you can purchase a seat on the same plane as AA7101. Often a flight will have 4 or even 6 codeshares attached! One clue is the info for AA7101 will say "Operated by Alaska Airlines" in fairly fine print.

More info, maybe too much: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codeshare_agreement

As Gardyloo commented, companion travel must be on Alaska metal. You could potentially book an AS codeshare which uses AA metal. So it's important to discern AS versus AA and know what codeshares are. Hope this helps.

Thanks kenish, that is definitely helpful information.

I had learned that using my Alaska Airlines companion code would require all flights to be on Alaska Airlines flights, which actually was made easy when I shopped via Alaska Airlines web site with my discount code they only offered me flight choices on Alaska Airlines.

I was very confused when I first posted this thread over all the different share codes on different sites, example the airline web sites vs kayak and other airline search sites.

Bottom line for me, right or wrong, I am pleased with the results of the choices I made for our trip as a result of all the information I gained from this thread.

1. I applied for and got the Alaska Airlines VISA credit card with 25k bonus miles to start.

2. I utilized my companion code to book our flights for July 2014 returning August 2014 Orlando to Anchorage - even got to pick our seats on all flights for $500 per person and flight times that work for our schedules.

3. My goal is to use mileage for 2015 Alaska Airlines for a flight for another Alaska cruise for myself and my partner who has never been to Alaska.

You guys/gals are a wealth of information, even if a bit tough on a "newby" but I've been around the block a few times so my skin is not that thin and I am very grateful for all the information provided and I consider it a wonderful holiday gift to me from you all!

Susan