Oosterdam Aft Balcony Covered?

bluebeachbum

Can any one tell me about aft balconies on the Oosterdam? Looking at VA category. Which deck is best? Any covered?

Any pics? Thanks.

Yes they are. Though some decks have more coverage than others. You can click on this photo and be taken to my site where you can see the photo full sized:

sm-Oosterdam-Aft-Port_Madbullogna-2010-1.jpg

You can also see a large number of the staterooms by clicking on the Deck Links below (you can also click on the other Vista class ships (same as Oosterdam and compare the staterooms on them (since they are all sister ships, the staterooms are nearly the same):

First the Stateroom Decks

Deck 1 - Main Deck - Staterooms 1001 - 1127

Deck 4 - Upper Promenade Deck - Staterooms 4001 - 4185

Deck 5 - Verandah Deck - Staterooms 5001 - 5191

Deck 6 - Upper Verandah Deck - Staterooms 6001 - 6177 Deck 7 - Rotterdam Deck - Staterooms 7001 - 7151

Deck 8 - Navigation Deck - Staterooms 8001 - 8147

Oosterdam Main Info Page

Page 2 - MISCELLANEOUS PHOTOS FROM THE OOSTERDAM

Page 3 - HANDICAPPED (HC) STATEROOMS ON THE OOSTERDAM

Her sister ships:

Noordam

Deck 5 - Verandah Deck - Staterooms 5001 - 5191

Deck 6 - Upper Verandah Deck - Staterooms 6001 - 6177 Deck 7 - Rotterdam Deck - Staterooms 7001 - 7145

Oosterdam

Deck 5 - Verandah Deck - Staterooms 5001 - 5193

Deck 6 - Upper Verandah Deck - Staterooms 6001 - 6177 Deck 7 - Rotterdam Deck - Staterooms 7001 - 7143

Westerdam

Deck 5 - Verandah Deck - Staterooms 5001 - 5193

Deck 6 - Upper Verandah Deck - Staterooms 6001 - 6177 Deck 7 - Rotterdam Deck - Staterooms 7001 - 7143

and Zuiderdam (Zuiderdams are a tiny bit larger)

Deck 5 - Verandah Deck - Staterooms 5001–5191

Deck 6 - Upper Verandah Deck - Staterooms 6001 - 6177 Deck 7 - Rotterdam Deck - Staterooms 7001–7151

Deck 8 - Navigation Deck - Staterooms 8001–8147

Hope these help you:)

Joanie

Here's another angle on the stern that may give a little better idea than the above picture. (This is actually Zuiderdam, but Oosterdam is exactly the same.)

Deck 4 balconies are most exposed, deck 5 are fully covered, and 6, 7, and 8 are about 2/3 covered.

attachment.php?attachmentid=276068&d=1371614118

As you can see from the pix above (post 5) there is a stair-step thing going on. I have stayed is aft cabins and was not able to enjoy my large deck as much as I had hoped because of rain and the fact that the noise from the rear lido deck was horrible. People love to sit on the back of the lido and can watch everything that you do on your deck, not to mention you can look down and see everything that people are doing on their balconies that are below you including X rated activities and hanging out their laundry. That being said, on a Panama Canal cruise, I think the aft cabins are the only way to go because that they are the best seats in the house to see the rear locks gates close. And if you book one, please remember that they are not private by any stretch of the imagination.

... and can watch everything that you do on your deck, not to mention you can look down and see everything that people are doing on their balconies that are below you ... they are not private by any stretch of the imagination.
Not true, at least on HAL ships. We've only had one stern cabin, on the Noordam - VB4178. It was about 11 ft deep at the center of the curve, and about 8 ft of it was covered. That's 2 ft more privacy than you get in any side VA/VB/VC cabin. And as the picture I posted shows, if the OP chooses deck 5, they are fully covered, just like side balconies. You are only exposed to view on the O'dam if you are near the railing on decks 4, 6, 7, or 8. Edited by jtl513

We were in 6164 on the Lady O and there was only about 3 feet of our balcony covered. I'm just saying that there is only an illusion of privacy on a lot of the aft balconies. I suppose if you are right up next to the cabin door you might be out of the view of others. Just act appropriately and there will never be a problem and do learn to divert your eyes quickly.

Not true, at least on HAL ships. We've only had one stern cabin, on the Noordam - VB4178. It was about 11 ft deep at the center of the curve, and about 8 ft of it was covered. That's 2 ft more privacy than you get in any side VA/VB/VC cabin. And as the picture I posted shows, if the OP chooses deck 5, they are fully covered, just like side balconies. You are only exposed to view on the O'dam if you are near the railing on decks 4, 6, 7, or 8.

Actually John, the Noordam's deck 5 is not covered completely, it is also tiered unlike the other 3 Vistas and the 2 Signatures.

And for the OP and others who say you can look down from the Lido aft and see everything, that is not true.

You can look down and see from the railings towards the stateroom verandah doors a couple of feet on Decks 8, 7, 6 and quite a bit on Deck 4.

That being said, when you do, if you do so, you CANNOT see the Large Verandah Table and deck chairs on any the the aft staterooms from above.

I paid close attention to what I could see below me (Deck 4) when we were on deck 5 and UNLESS they pulled the furniture out towards the railing(s) we could not see anyone. Same when we were in Deck 6 on both Noordam, Nieuw Amsterdam (6 and 7) and Oosterdam.

Joanie

Actually John, the Noordam's deck 5 is not covered completely, it is also tiered unlike the other 3 Vistas and the 2 Signatures.

Sure, but the OP is asking about the Oosterdam and I said " if the OP chooses deck 5, they are fully covered ..." Edited by jtl513