Grand Princess - Toiletries Change?

weatherman46

AK, as you may recall, I was on the repo cruise and the 11/5 four-day cruise. I don't know where your cabin was but the dispenser never made it to showers in the oceanviews on Emerald deck. I guess I'll have to wait until next year. I remember when HAL went from Elemis bottles to the dispensers. Broke my heart. Since then, I always bring my own shampoo, conditioner and body wash.

AKman, did you go on the horse show/buffet Princess excursion in Progresso? A bunch of us who did got very sick the day after, and stayed sick for several days. It seems as if Montezuma got us at the buffet.

Glad you had a good b2b.

Maureen

We were in an inside on Baja and they were there......Yes, we did go to the horse show and buffet. I had a cold at the time but I got that before the buffet. We did not suffer any ill effects from the buffet through. I was pretty careful about what I ate and I drank only the diet coke....

Mike

I'm not thrilled with dispensers but I am very happy about fragrance free products.

This is another "damned if you do, damned if you don't" thread.

For some, it is about time the went to dispensers and for other it is just another sign of decay......

We were in an inside on Baja and they were there......Yes, we did go to the horse show and buffet. I had a cold at the time but I got that before the buffet. We did not suffer any ill effects from the buffet through. I was pretty careful about what I ate and I drank only the diet coke....

Mike

I went to Mexico a number of years back and, while we were very careful to drink soda, beer, etc. rather than the local water we were still stricken with a massive case of revenge. We figure it was either due to the ICE in drinks (although we were assured it was from agua purficada) or it could have been that the lettuce we ate was washed with the local water. Whatever the cause, it seems one isn't safe simply by drinking only soda, etc.

Sorry to bother you, but are you booked on the January 19, 2014 Cruise to Hawaii aboard the Star Princess? I am maintaining the CC Roll Call for that cruise and your name currently appears. Should it be removed? Thanks for your response.

~Ron

I also would not use anything from a dispenser, and would have to lug my own stuff with me. And since I am reading "fragrance free", I would assume it is not the eucalyptus fragrance anymore??? Loved that stuff!

Karen

I liked the eucalyptus too.

I join those disappointed with the dispensers as well as the combination shampoo/conditioner. It was so nice not having to pack these and I actually really like the eucalyptus smell. I also find it inconvenient when the 'gel' dispenser is unreachable while bathing. The bath tub is one of our reasons for choosing a mini suite and now that comfort is changing.

Funny' date=' I feel pretty petty complaining about this - but often, it is the little things, I guess[/font'].

It's like deja vu all over again. I swear this very same conversation was made on the HAL thread two years ago or so. If that's so, isn't Princess a bit late coming to the switch over to the soap dispensers? I'm curious how many other cruise lines use the dispensers.

It's only my opinion, but It's a small sacrifice for those of you who are not too keen on the dispensers. We all need to stop the plastic waste.

No one has answered the question yet as to whether they still provide lotion if the dispensers are in place. We leave on Saturday to get on the Grand on Monday. Need to know!

Whatcruiseisnext gave that info in post #3. Bar soap and lotion are still put in bathrooms. :)

By the way, IMHO, bar soap is gross too! ;)

At least bar soap and individually-dispensed lotions are pre-packaged and not used by someone else. :)

While we're on the subject, the Elite bathroom amenities have been reduced to:

[ATTACH]293574[/ATTACH]

It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like there isn't any lip balm, "loofa" cotton balls, etc? So just what do we get?

It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like there isn't any lip balm, "loofa" cotton balls, etc? So just what do we get?

The stuff that's in the dispenser plus lotion. At least that's what we got on the Royal, and we had to ask.

The Captain's Circle hostess indicated the Elite bathroom amenities are going away, at least the cool stuff in the shell. Apparently they are still in the suites. She seemed to think maybe there'd be something for elites, just not the same as suites.

At least bar soap and individually-dispensed lotions are pre-packaged and not used by someone else. :)

While we're on the subject, the Elite bathroom amenities have been reduced to:

[ATTACH]293574[/ATTACH]

True if you're solo in a cabin. It reminds me of the old "Friends" episode, where they were trying to determine if soap was self-cleaning or if you should wash it between users. It's still yucky to me. :o

I agree with Pam regarding the "Ick" factor and the "cheap factor, but what really bugs me is that I HATE shampoo/conditioner combos! I never use conditioner as it makes my hair so limp. Looks like I'll be schlepping my own shampoo. :(

Me too!

It will be easier than using the individual bottles and bars, which I almost always manage to drop in those teeny showers, but I still prefer bar soap and I do not like shampoo and conditioner combined, especially on a ship, where I find the water to be so soft that using conditioner makes my hair limp.

I can see that it will be a cost savings for them, and many other lines already have the dispensers. We'll see if they are on our Golden bath in two weeks.

I'll be packing a small bottle or two of shampoo, just in case.

Me too! I do not like shampoo and conditioner combined, especially on a ship, where I find the water to be so soft that using conditioner makes my hair limp.

I'll be packing a small bottle or two of shampoo, just in case.

This is my problem eventhough I only use shampoo. My hair is very fine and I really hate how my hair looks throughout the cruise. The water makes it that way, not the shampoo. I've often thought how fortunate it must be for the ladies who have thick and curly hair because the water must help "tame" it.

We were on the Golden 2 weeks ago. We had the dispensers in our bathroom, but my parents down the hall didn't. This was on Aloha deck in a regular balcony cabin. We are sailing again on the Golden in a week, but will be in a mini suite on Emerald. I'll report if we have them there or not.