Grand Princess - Toiletries Change?

weatherman46

I agree with Pam regarding the "Ick" factor and the "cheap factor, but what really bugs me is that I HATE shampoo/conditioner combos! I never use conditioner as it makes my hair so limp. Looks like I'll be schlepping my own shampoo. :(

I'm tickled that they are going fragrance free. The shampoos they had were so smelly that I found myself sneezing as I followed freshly showered people. The tons of perfume so many woman wear is bad enough (I'm told that as we get older our smellers go and people just don't realize how much scent they are wearing), so this will help keep the scent factor down..the elevators on dress up night are really tight to breath in!

We loved staying in Vancouver where both of our hotels supplied really nice fragrance free products!

Ladies (and Gents too) who marinate themselves in perfumes make me literally go into an asthma attack. I would much rather deal with smokers-at least I can get away from them.

All the ships will eventually be fitted with them. They first came out with them on the Royal and we were told that they would be going fleetwide. It is NOT the same shampoo that was in the little bottles. It is a shampoo/conditioner that is fragrance free in one large bottle and a shower gel in another. The room steward always kept them full. Still had the bars of soap for the sink and a tube of fragrance free lotion as well.

FRAGRANCE FREE? YES! YES!! OMG, YES!!! I'm allergic to almost everything with fragrance added. I can't understand the compulsion to put (to me) stinky fragrance in everything. Most scents (perfumes, scented lotions, etc.) smell like nasty chemicals to me and give me a headache. When someone on my street uses a dryer sheet with their laundry I can't stand to be outside due to the entire block being polluted from the dang thing.

That Princess would go to a fragrance-free shampoo in their dispensers is wonderful news.

Of course I will probably still bring my own stuff rather than using something from a dispenser but I'm very happy there will be one less source of perfume odor onboard.

Edited by Thrak

Lovely idea. I haven't seen this set up to date but can see benefits:

-no more soap accidents ;)

-easier dispensing of shampoo (little bottles weren't particularly 'squeezable')

-cost saving and less plastic waste

I hope to see this on the Emerald next June :)

My thoughts exactly! I have been having problems with the little bottles - squeezing out the shampoo or conditioner. Plus environmental concerns with all the little plastic bottles.

I hope the new formula of shampoo/conditioner combination is a good one. My hair tangles easily, and the conditioner formula on Princess seemed to change a couple of years ago. I now bring my own conditioner along, so I don't break half of my meager supply of hair off trying to get a comb through it! :o

Looking forward to checking it out on the Grand! :)

It is a shampoo/conditioner combo. I brought my own on the Royal's T/A last month. Here's what the dispensers look like (with my stuff stored on top.) I don't use shower gel and refuse to use anything from a dispenser like that so I plan to just use that space for extra storage.

[ATTACH]293376[/ATTACH]

I also would not use anything from a dispenser, and would have to lug my own stuff with me. And since I am reading "fragrance free", I would assume it is not the eucalyptus fragrance anymore??? Loved that stuff!

Karen

I agree with Pam regarding the "Ick" factor and the "cheap factor, but what really bugs me is that I HATE shampoo/conditioner combos! I never use conditioner as it makes my hair so limp. Looks like I'll be schlepping my own shampoo. :(

I don't like combos either :(

If I was worried/paranoid I would have been more worried about using the little individual bottles that are recycled.

I was recently at a hotel where (apparently) some thrifty individual

had added water to a mostly empty bottle of shower gel to use the

entire contents -- then, left it behind, looking like a full bottle to

the maid.

I almost used it, and then noticed that although

it was full, it was a different color than the others.

I thought I wouldn't like the dispensers on princess, but I didn't

have a problem. I don't see any difference between them, and

using a liquid soap dispenser in the rest room to wash my hands.

Edited by pablo222

Just another Carnival thing being implemented on Princess. What's next meatloaf, flat iron steak, and Mac and cheese on the MDR menu; comfort food.

They have had meatloaf on the MDR menu for quite a while now.

That thought never entered my mind. One, because I was thrilled seeing a bigger shower than the one we had on the Coral. Two, because they looked lie brand new bottles. And three, I cannot imagine anyone spending over a thousand dollars to get on a ship to tamper with the shower gel bottles, that are apparently new-and may have been installed just prior to our cruise.

:confused:

AK, as you may recall, I was on the repo cruise and the 11/5 four-day cruise. I don't know where your cabin was but the dispenser never made it to showers in the oceanviews on Emerald deck. I guess I'll have to wait until next year. I remember when HAL went from Elemis bottles to the dispensers. Broke my heart. Since then, I always bring my own shampoo, conditioner and body wash.

AKman, did you go on the horse show/buffet Princess excursion in Progresso? A bunch of us who did got very sick the day after, and stayed sick for several days. It seems as if Montezuma got us at the buffet.

Glad you had a good b2b.

Maureen

Disappointed to hear that they have changed to dispensers. We are familiar with them on the Carnival ships and I have always found the shampoo/conditioner combination to be of poor quality. The Princess bottled toiletries were pretty good quality although a trifle hard to dispense.

I always bring my own conditioner and shampoo or if I am concerned with weight or luggage issues, purchase some at the embarkation port.

I always bring my own conditioner and shampoo or if I am concerned with weight or luggage issues, purchase some at the embarkation port.
Note the "GoToob" on top of the dispensers in my photo. That had my preferred shampoo/conditioner combo and not only lasted three weeks of travel but I used only about 2/3 of it. Took very little space and weight. Got the GoToob at CVS in the travel section for less than you'd pay at Magellan's. Edited by Pam in CA

I'm very disappointed to see this change. Combo shampoo/conditioners simply do not work, especially not on long hair. It's totally a drugstore-calibre product (you don't see Bumble and bumble or Redken coming out with a shampoo-and-conditioner product); I would have thought Princess would want to be a cut above that.

Yes, I'm a toiletries snob, and I'm proud of it.

While I'm not concerned about tampering, they have an "ick" factor for me and practically scream, "Cheap, cheap, cheap!" There's nothing classy or pampered feeling if you are literally sharing containers of shampoo/conditioner and gel with all of the passengers before and after you.

I agree with Pam. It reeks of cheap. Not only that,but if you don't want to use a conditioner you're just out of luck.

I join those disappointed with the dispensers as well as the combination shampoo/conditioner. It was so nice not having to pack these and I actually really like the eucalyptus smell. I also find it inconvenient when the 'gel' dispenser is unreachable while bathing. The bath tub is one of our reasons for choosing a mini suite and now that comfort is changing.

Funny, I feel pretty petty complaining about this - but often, it is the little things, I guess.

Wow I only started this thread yesterday, and it seems to have stirred things up a bit.

Our next cruise is also on the Emerald, and I would love to know if these dispensers have been fitted on that ship yet.

Also are Princess still providing body lotion once the change has been made?

The little bottles were hard to squeeze with arthritic hands. I like the change. Do they still provide lotion?

If I go to a Motel 6, I expect to find a bulk dispenser for shampoo.

If I go to a Hilton, I expect to find little containers like Princess used to have.

To me, the bulk containers scream a Motel 6 experience.

Many, many high class hotels are going to dispensers for the environmental issue. We stayed in several 4 and 5 star hotels both in Europe and in the US over the last year that now have gone to dispensers. Not all as yet but I believe it is the wave of the future.

I don't know how they can possibly clean them properly between cruisers! :eek: I have dispensers in my shower at home to keep the ledge clean. They go into the dishwasher at least once a month and only DH and I use them. I have become a bit more of a germ-a-phobe as I've gotten older and it grosses me out that people will use dirty hands to push down on the dispenser and it won't be sanitized between users. (I never use public showers either! Ick!)

I'll continue to bring my own and will steer clear of the dispensers.