Grand Princess - Toiletries Change?

weatherman46

We have recently got back from an Hawaiian cruise on the Grand Princess. About a week into the cruise shower gel and shampoo dispensers where fitted in many of the showers on the ship, and on the last they where filled. I assume this means the end of the little bottles of toiletries.

Does anyone know if this is happening on all Princess ships?

All the ships will eventually be fitted with them. They first came out with them on the Royal and we were told that they would be going fleetwide. It is NOT the same shampoo that was in the little bottles. It is a shampoo/conditioner that is fragrance free in one large bottle and a shower gel in another. The room steward always kept them full. Still had the bars of soap for the sink and a tube of fragrance free lotion as well.

Edited by whatcruiseisnext

Is this a shampoo/conditioner combo, or are they separate?
It is a shampoo/conditioner combo. I brought my own on the Royal's T/A last month. Here's what the dispensers look like (with my stuff stored on top.) I don't use shower gel and refuse to use anything from a dispenser like that so I plan to just use that space for extra storage.

ImageUploadedByForums1384879623.904524.jpg.ef52cdc7a363ce82356e8160456d2169.jpg

I am just off the Caribbean Princess and we had them in our shower. One shower gel and the other was the shampoo/conditioner combo. I was happy to see them as I prefer them over the little bottles they had.

The problem is that you have no way of knowing if a previous cruiser has tampered with the contents.

The problem is that you have no way of knowing if a previous cruiser has tampered with the contents.

IMHO, that's a bit paranoid. If the contents were tampered with, they'd know who did it... :):rolleyes:

Conversely, I'm sure the room stewards didn't change out the little bottles if they were still full from the previous voyage... they could have been tampered with as well.

And, I can see why the change... they're going to save a ton of money not having to purchase all those little bottles. Fine with me... Sea Princess has had the dispensers for years now!

That thought never entered my mind. One, because I was thrilled seeing a bigger shower than the one we had on the Coral. Two, because they looked lie brand new bottles. And three, I cannot imagine anyone spending over a thousand dollars to get on a ship to tamper with the shower gel bottles, that are apparently new-and may have been installed just prior to our cruise.

:confused:

I'm tickled that they are going fragrance free. The shampoos they had were so smelly that I found myself sneezing as I followed freshly showered people. The tons of perfume so many woman wear is bad enough (I'm told that as we get older our smellers go and people just don't realize how much scent they are wearing), so this will help keep the scent factor down..the elevators on dress up night are really tight to breath in!

We loved staying in Vancouver where both of our hotels supplied really nice fragrance free products!

Paranoid???:confused::rolleyes::)

They looked like they would be pretty difficult to get into and certainly something that I wouldn't think anyone would want to do. If I was worried/paranoid I would have been more worried about using the little individual bottles that are recycled. I have been in cabins before where the shampoo/lotion/conditioner obviously had some gone from it. It would have been much easier to "tamper" with the contents of those than with the dispensers on the wall that are now being installed.

While I'm not concerned about tampering, they have an "ick" factor for me and practically scream, "Cheap, cheap, cheap!" There's nothing classy or pampered feeling if you are literally sharing containers of shampoo/conditioner and gel with all of the passengers before and after you.

While I'm not concerned about tampering, they have an "ick" factor for me and practically scream, "Cheap, cheap, cheap!" There's nothing classy or pampered feeling if you are literally sharing containers of shampoo/conditioner and gel with all of the passengers before and after you.

I agree. That's like checking into a hotel and finding a used bar of soap in the shower. I'm glad I always bring my own soap and shampoo with me.

I'm on the fence. While I agree with Pam - soap dispensers remind me of the gym and it would be nice to have nice soaps and shampoos - there is also the fact that this should help to reduce some plastic waste which is environmentally friendly. The "re-use" issue could apply to the dispensers as well as the bottles/soaps that we used to get. But having a dispenser hanging on the wall just seems tacky. And the available room in the shower is limited as it is.

Edited by bdjam