US Airways business class

Pepc

On the flip side, doesn't Regent charge extra for business class on AA and BA? The merger means fewer flights without that surcharge.

Actually that is NOT totally true. Regent charges extra when the fare for your chosen flight is higher than what Regent would pay for flights if you didn't deviate.

Don't believe you can generalize whether you pay extra or not nor how much you might pay extra based on specific airlines. There are so many variables that determine what and how much you will pay extra and that applies to every airline whether Regent has a contract with them or not. For instance, the closer to your departure will probably exert pressure to have extra charges.

For next year's Rome to London cruise on the Voyager, we tried to deviate to either AA or BA and were told it would be an extra $1k per person, each way. So $4k extra for two round trip.

US Airways, Delta and United were offered without extra fees. Of course they have more stops.

Actually that is NOT totally true. Regent charges extra when the fare for your chosen flight is higher than what Regent would pay for flights if you didn't deviate.

Don't believe you can generalize whether you pay extra or not nor how much you might pay extra based on specific airlines. There are so many variables that determine what and how much you will pay extra and that applies to every airline whether Regent has a contract with them or not. For instance, the closer to your departure will probably exert pressure to have extra charges.

Actually, that is not totally true either. When Regent imposes an upcharge on BA (and other airlines)and it not necessarily fare related -- it is flight related. Some air gateways also require an up-charge as listed on the RSSC website.

Also disagree with your last sentence As you become closer to departure, there are less seats available on contracted flights which could cause an upcharge. There is no one exerting pressure to have extra charges.

Obviously passengers deviating 270 days prior to departure have a greater selection of contracted flights with seats available which is why we usually deviate.

Actually, Regent made a statement this year about BA and American airlines and upcharges so there is no reason not to generalize. IMO, if we do not generalize we would have nothing to post to assist people asking questions. Almost everything related to Regent Air is based on personal experience or a generalization.

Edited by Travelcat2

Actually, that is not totally true either. When Regent imposes an upcharge on BA (and other airlines)and it not necessarily fare related -- it is flight related. Some air gateways also require an up-charge as listed on the RSSC website.

Please explain what flight related means in relationship to prices of flights. The only thing IMO that should impact pricing for a deviation is if the flight one chooses costs more than the flight that would be booked without a deviation. And, the air gateways upcharges affect the passenger whether one deviates or not so is not an issue in this conversation.

Also disagree with your last sentence As you become closer to departure, there are less seats available on contracted flights which could cause an upcharge. There is no one exerting pressure to have extra charges.

Not sure what someone exerting pressure has to do with this however the airlines do increase prices as the seats are getting filled up so Regent's prices if not limited by their contract would go up just like the prices to the general public and that could impact the extra cost for the chosen flights.

Obviously passengers deviating 270 days prior to departure have a greater selection of contracted flights with seats available which is why we usually deviate.

Actually, Regent made a statement this year about BA and American airlines and upcharges so there is no reason not to generalize. IMO, if we do not generalize we would have nothing to post to assist people asking questions. Almost everything related to Regent Air is based on personal experience or a generalization.

My comment regarding generalization is that just because one passenger pays extra for a specific airline or doesn't pay for another doesn't mean that everyone will either pay extra or won't pay extra for a specific airline and I stand by that fact that one can't generalize just because one pays or doesn't pay as each case is different and the extra payment may or may not occur.

See questions within quoted response

See questions within quoted response

#1 -- this is something that has been explained by our TA

#2 -- the "exerting pressure" came from your post. Have no idea what you were referring to. A quote from your post #26 "For instance, the closer to your departure will probably exert pressure to have extra charges."

Perhaps you have been away from Regent too long to understand my posts. Most of us will continue to use generalizations and you are certainly free to disagree with them.

BTW, do you have any Regent cruises booked? It seems that your last one was 3 years ago!?

Edited by Travelcat2

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a picture and brief note on the quality of US Air's business class from "The Points Guy":

ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=lFm3sHGL3oj1vp6E4mBcYmtFtfSD1rUJL9gvjWgCmCM%3d0&url=http%3a%2f%2fthepointsguy.com%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2012%2f10%2fus-aurways-envoy-suite-photo-300x212.jpg

I’d take US Airways’ Envoy class over Lufthansa business any day.

If you’re stuck with a business class redemption, I’d consider flying another airline like US Airways, whose Envoy class is among the best business class products out there thanks to the comfortable and private reverse herringbone configuration, over Lufthansa’s old business.

Edited by countflorida

Good review from the Points Guy!

I reread your earlier post wherein you said that you . . . "were seated together in the last row of the middle section, next to each other," . . .

I'm questioning if I made a mistake reserving two seats - one behind each other on the window side (rows 3 and 4).

Your thoughts about those single seats, please?

We were forced to take middle seats together on the trip back from Rio in November '12, and it was fine!. In our latest flight on US Air in an A330, from London to Charlotte at the end of September, we choose the window seats one behind the other, also fine, but different. I think it comes down to whether the window(s) or togetherness is more important to you. You could (assuming availability) reserve one window seat and the adjacent seat across the aisle, and get (half) the best of both worlds.

Frankly, I haven't discussed our preference with my better half, but on an upcoming domestic trip on a regional jet in 1st class (1-2 seating) we're taking seats across the aisle from each other, which is what we usually do on, for example Southwest Air, where 1st class isn't an option. Southwest has one non-stop flight a day each way from Tampa, near where we live now, to Albany where we grew up and used to live, which we regularly use to go and visit family and friends, and we always try and get aisle seats across from each other.

Edited by countflorida

Just back from BCN to Rio on Mariner an then on Delta to IAD via Atlanta, lie-flat seats were comfortable - first time able to sleep on a plane - maybe I was just extra tired. Food and service was fine. Delta shared lounge was very good with food not just snacks.

Edited by TedC