MSC Grand Voyages (Repositioning Cruises) October 2014 - April 2015

Skipper Tim

That's the thing - they aren't correct. The August and October dates all say 2013. And it's backed up with the Opera being in service up to the end Sep 2014 out of S'ton.

I'm sure they will rehash this and slot the correct dates in. At least we know that the Venice Dubai is a go and the dates. There are quite a few that are up for this one. We are torn between this and the Rio to Miami in July. Whichever we choose it will be the only other holiday we will have in 2014 so we should choose wisely.

I was going to try to incorporate some of the more credible information from the Aussie link into the list of expected itineraries but, studying it carefully, there are so many mistakes that I don't think we can believe any of it.

Why do MSC do this? Are they just practicing for when they have a proper web site or is it random noise to confuse their competitors and their customers with them ?

May I ask when MSC released the Nov 2013 Repo cruises?? I have read somewhere it was not until Feb 2013?? So maybe Feb 2014 is realistic for the 2014/15 season and follows a pattern ??

Annie

We have been told by MSK UK that February is when the next season, 2014/5 will go on sale. There is little reason to disbelieve them.

Given that I should gain 'Gold' MSC Club status on the Armonia in March, I will be tempted to hold off any future booking until after.

I will try to keep this thread updated with any new information until it becomes obsolescent with the eventual release of repo cruises and prices.

T.

We have been told by MSK UK that February is when the next season, 2014/5 will go on sale. There is little reason to disbelieve them.

Given that I should gain 'Gold' MSC Club status on the Armonia in March, I will be tempted to hold off any future booking until after.

I will try to keep this thread updated with any new information until it becomes obsolescent with the eventual release of repo cruises and prices.

T.

Thanks Tim for all your efforts on this - I for one appreciate it.

I am pretty relaxed now that they will not release the 2014/15 repos for sale until after the New Year at least.

TBH the only repo that interests me is the Dubai-Fremantle repo but I suspect that cruise may attract a premium.

Based on my experience of my recent Lirica repo where 40% of passengers were 70 and over, demand may be high.

Annie

Thanks Tim for all your efforts on this - I for one appreciate it.

I am pretty relaxed now that they will not release the 2014/15 repos for sale until after the New Year at least.

TBH the only repo that interests me is the Dubai-Fremantle repo but I suspect that cruise may attract a premium.

Based on my experience of my recent Lirica repo where 40% of passengers were 70 and over, demand may be high.

Annie

That is interesting information, thank you!

I remain a flexible bargain hunter and will do until such point that I become wealthy. Then, I will unashamedly change :). (Yacht Club would be great to try).

T.

T.

I'm certain we are all waiting with bated breath not least to check if there are solo supplements :D

As an aside a travel agent told me today the MSC don't plan any flights for one off/repos until four months before sail date if at all. This is why I'm finding it difficult to book flights with them. Apparently I should try new year.

Has anyone flown in or out of Rio/Santos from/to the UK as part of an MSC package? Or have they book flights separate.

Tim, I've mailed you.

I'm certain we are all waiting with bated breath not least to check if there are solo supplements :D

As an aside a travel agent told me today the MSC don't plan any flights for one off/repos until four months before sail date if at all. This is why I'm finding it difficult to book flights with them. Apparently I should try new year.

Has anyone flown in or out of Rio/Santos from/to the UK as part of an MSC package? Or have they book flights separate.

Tim, I've mailed you.

Yes I had flight back from rio with MSC. It was originally with BA on disembarkation day, then very close to the cruise date I changed my mond and asked if I could have 2 nights in Rio (I organised my own hotel as their package was a ridiculous price) and the BA flight was full for that day, so they got me a TAP flight instead. Have also had them fly me out to Buenos Aires for a repo back to Southampton - that was BA too. Both were just from LHR but for the last one they let me pay £50 extra to get the add on of a Edinburgh return flight.

They rarely can tell you the flight arrangements at booking, it usually follows 3-4 months before sailing (and if they don't tell you then - I hassle them saying I need to know if I need an extra day off work)

Yes I had flight back from rio with MSC. It was originally with BA on disembarkation day, then very close to the cruise date I changed my mond and asked if I could have 2 nights in Rio (I organised my own hotel as their package was a ridiculous price) and the BA flight was full for that day, so they got me a TAP flight instead. Have also had them fly me out to Buenos Aires for a repo back to Southampton - that was BA too. Both were just from LHR but for the last one they let me pay £50 extra to get the add on of a Edinburgh return flight.

They rarely can tell you the flight arrangements at booking, it usually follows 3-4 months before sailing (and if they don't tell you then - I hassle them saying I need to know if I need an extra day off work)

If you book further out do they just quote a ballpark figure for flights? Or do they give assurance that it'll be a certain airline or a certain airport?

If you book further out do they just quote a ballpark figure for flights? Or do they give assurance that it'll be a certain airline or a certain airport?

The price is set and whether they can only do London or will doe a regional airport but they don't always tell you the flight. For example I didn't find out for the Musica Venice to rio trip that the Venice leg was going to be with Swiss airlines via Zurich until 3 or 4 months before. However return flight was BA. Wasn't happy with Swiss because I wanted to be able to take an extra bag which is affordable with BA but with Swiss would have cost around €400. They would not give me an alternative, so I said I'd make my own arrangements for the flight to Venice as it would be cheaper. Turns out if I'd spoken to Rachel green or the Flight Manager, they would have arranged something different.

I almost never do fly/cruise to the Med now as you haven't a clue if you Re flying to Milan! nice or have struck lucky and get Genoa. I either pay BA fares which are reasonable if bought in advance or even better use Avios.

Thanks for that.

The only new information I can see is that someone has counted the potential excursions, decided to make the Cheers package available, and by implication not Allegrissimo, and to discount the laundry charges by 30% which makes sense on such a long cruise on a ship with no self-service laundry.

I wish publications would state their sources so that we can attach the appropriate amount of credence to these stories.

Thanks for that.

The only new information I can see is that someone has counted the potential excursions, decided to make the Cheers package available, and by implication not Allegrissimo, and to discount the laundry charges by 30% which makes sense on such a long cruise on a ship with no self-service laundry.

I wish publications would state their sources so that we can attach the appropriate amount of credence to these stories.

I am back in Oz next weekend - I will touch base soon on your questions....

Although I do not believe Allegrissimo or Cheers will be available in Oz (Southern Hemisphere countries from experience seem to really like a few drinks) but I would have expected it on the crossing though.

The price is set and whether they can only do London or will doe a regional airport but they don't always tell you the flight. For example I didn't find out for the Musica Venice to rio trip that the Venice leg was going to be with Swiss airlines via Zurich until 3 or 4 months before. However return flight was BA. Wasn't happy with Swiss because I wanted to be able to take an extra bag which is affordable with BA but with Swiss would have cost around €400. They would not give me an alternative, so I said I'd make my own arrangements for the flight to Venice as it would be cheaper. Turns out if I'd spoken to Rachel green or the Flight Manager, they would have arranged something different.

I almost never do fly/cruise to the Med now as you haven't a clue if you Re flying to Milan! nice or have struck lucky and get Genoa. I either pay BA fares which are reasonable if bought in advance or even better use Avios.

Amo do you know the name of the flight manager so I can drop it in the morning when I book.

They are quite laissez faire with the whole "we may or may not do flights" situation. I have no issues with booking cabin only and arranging my own flights but would prefer all in one. Multi city BA flights MCR RIO and MIA MCR are expensive but I'd like to sort this rather than meander along waiting for them to make a choice :)

MooMoo ... If you do flights yourself "United" from Miami to Manchester have decent one way prices though you have to return via Newark. We came home that way last month and arrived back in M/cr at around 8am, usually it is after 9am via LHR with BA.

Touched base in uk last week home for 4 days enjoyed Mmagnifica meals after touching Brazil went down hill after taking on Brazilian catering employees for their summer season, will report back but now in Abu Dhabi for Christmas and will not be in circulation until next year but will be keeping eye out here for repro going in to Dubai tomorrow food shopping so will have a lookout

David

Amo do you know the name of the flight manager so I can drop it in the morning when I book.

They are quite laissez faire with the whole "we may or may not do flights" situation. I have no issues with booking cabin only and arranging my own flights but would prefer all in one. Multi city BA flights MCR RIO and MIA MCR are expensive but I'd like to sort this rather than meander along waiting for them to make a choice :)

Sorry no do don't remember. I moaned to Rachel Green when they were being stubborn over the Swiss Airlines flight and she got her to call me to sort it out.

That's the one. The Australian site has loaded the 2014/15 repos! Many thanks. I will fllow with a complete update.

Do you think this means MSC are looking to have a ship doing Aus/NZ/Asia routes from 2015? I'd love it if they are!

No, MSC have a poor way of expressing themselves, at least in English. As before, the Orchestra does the repo to Fremantle then the Gallipoli charter back to Rome. Perhaps she will return late 2015?

Here is a complete update with links to the itineraries on the Australian site, where available. Thanks to Katgoesonholiday for the heads up.

Key: known facts (best guess itinerary) [reason for update], changes are marked in bold

Repositioning Cruises start dates/ports by ship

MSC Armonia, 17th November 2014, (Italy to Durban, 18-19 nights) [after scheduled refit & stretch]

MSC Armonia 27th April 2015, from Istanbul (to Venice, 3-4 nights or 1 night without passengers) [May be switched to MSC Opera]

MSC Lirica, 7th November 2014 from Civitavecchia to Rio de Janeiro (16-17 nights)

MSC Magnifica, 8th November 2014, from Hamburg to Buenos Aires, 20 nights [confirmed on MSC AU]

MSC Magnifica, 6th April 2015, from Buenos Aires to Venice, 21 nights [new itinerary]

MSC Musica, 17th November 2014, from Genoa to Pointre-a-Pitre, Guadeloupe, 18 nights [confirmed on MSC AU]

MSC Opera, 7th October 2014, from Southampton to Cape Town, 21 nights [confirmed on MSC AU]

MSC Opera, 28th March 2015, from Cape Town to Venice, 19 nights [new itinerary]

MSC Orchestra, 25th November 2014, from Venice to Dubai, 18 nights

MSC Orchestra, 21st February, 2015, from Dubai to Fremantle, Australia, 33 nights

MSC Poesia, 17th November 2014, from Genoa to Santos, 19 nights

MSC Poesia, 28th March 2015, from Santos to Venice, 18 nights [new itinerary]

MSC Preziosa, 8th November 2014, from Venice to Santos, 19 nights

MSC Sinfonia, 27th November 2014, from Genoa (to Tenerife or Gran Canaria, 9-11 nights) [switched with Opera]

Repositioning Cruises end dates/ports by ship

MSC Armonia ending 18th April 2015 at Istanbul (for another ‘Gallipoli’ charter) (from Durban, 18-22 nights, may be switched to another Lirica class ship)

'Stationary’ Ships

MSC Divina, 4th April 2015, year-round Miami

MSC Fantasia, 2nd November 2014, year-round Genoa/Venice

MSC Splendida, 29th March 2015, year-round Genoa

Dry Dock

The rumour is that all four Lirica class ships will be 'stretched' by Fincantieri in Parlemo and the schedule would be as follows (thanks to MM42).

Lirica from 24/04/2014 to 14/07/2014

Armonia from 15/09/2014 to 17/11/2014 (then to Durban or Cape Town)

Sinfonia from 12/01/2015 to 16/03/2015 (from Durban or Cape Town)

Opera from 27/04/2015 to 29/06/2015

The Australian fares are coming in around AUD $90/105/120 (GBP £50/57/64) cheapest inside/outside/balcony grades - except for the 33 night to Fremantle which comes in a tad higher. These are much higher than we are used to in the UK for repositioning cruises. I am not sure how they compare with historical MSC repositioning fares in Australia nor indeed if that comparison is at all relevant as MSC can change prices however they want without logic or reason.

Also, as I cannot access solo faress on the Australian site from outside Australia, could someone please let us know if MSC are applying solo-occupancy supplements on these cruises and if so, what percentage?

Travelberlin, I am afraid the Magnifica is now leaving Hamburg 18 days later than I previously thought. You may have to switch ships if you want warmer weather.

There is still some uncertainty about the dates of the Lirca class stretching and the effect on associated repositioning cruises and of course on fares for all the above in other parts of the World.

Tim.

Edited by Skipper Tim

Here is a complete update with links to the itineraries on the Australian site, where available. Thanks to Katgoesonholiday for the heads up.

Key: known facts (best guess itinerary) [reason for update], changes are marked in bold

MSC Armonia, 17th November 2014, (Italy to Durban, 18-19 nights) [after scheduled refit & stretch]

MSC Armonia 27th April 2015, from Istanbul (to Venice, 3-4 nights or 1 night without passengers) [May be switched to MSC Opera]

MSC Lirica, 7th November 2014 from Civitavecchia to Rio de Janeiro (16-17 nights)

MSC Magnifica, 8th November 2014, from Hamburg to Buenos Aires, 20 nights [confirmed on MSC AU]

MSC Magnifica, 6th April 2015, from Buenos Aires to Venice, 21 nights [new itinerary]

MSC Musica, 17th November 2014, from Genoa to Pointre-a-Pitre, Guadeloupe, 18 nights [confirmed on MSC AU]

MSC Opera, 7th October 2014, from Southampton to Cape Town, 21 nights [confirmed on MSC AU]

MSC Opera, 28th March 2015, from Cape Town to Venice, 19 nights [new itinerary]

MSC Orchestra, 21st February, 2015, from Dubai to Fremantle, Australia, 33 nights

MSC Poesia, 28th March 2015, from Santos to Venice, 18 nights [new itinerary]

MSC Sinfonia, 27th November 2014, from Genoa (to Tenerife or Gran Canaria, 9-11 nights) [switched with Opera]

MSC Armonia ending 18th April 2015 at Istanbul (for another ‘Gallipoli’ charter) (from Durban, 18-22 nights, may be switched to another Lirica class ship)

'Stationary’ Ships

MSC Divina, 4th April 2015, year-round Miami

MSC Fantasia, 2nd November 2014, year-round Genoa/Venice

MSC Splendida, 29th March 2015, year-round Genoa

Dry Dock

The rumour is that all four Lirica class ships will be 'stretched' by Fincantieri in Parlemo and the schedule would be as follows (thanks to MM42).

The Australian fares are coming in around AUD $90/105/120 (GBP £50/57/64) cheapest inside/outside/balcony grades - except for the 33 night to Fremantle which comes in a tad higher. These are much higher than we are used to in the UK for repositioning cruises. I am not sure how they compare with historical MSC repositioning fares in Australia nor indeed if that comparison is at all relevant as MSC can change prices however they want without logic or reason.

Also, as I cannot access solo faress on the Australian site from outside Australia, could someone please let us know if MSC are applying solo-occupancy supplements on these cruises and if so, what percentage?

Travelberlin, I am afraid the Magnifica is now leaving Hamburg 18 days later than I previously thought. You may have to switch ships if you want warmer weather.

There is still some uncertainty about the dates of the Lirca class stretching and the effect on associated repositioning cruises and of course on fares for all the above in other parts of the World.

Tim.

Tim

Have written to mscc as I have stated to them that either of my cousins in Sydney Adelaide or Perth will book for me if I can't on Europe as exchange rate is getting and all I have by email one minute ago that they do not have any date to go on sale in uk but the new year this came from

Dear

Dear Mr Yorath

Thank you for your enquiry

Unfortunatley, with regret we do not currently have this grand voyage on general sale as of yet for the UK office.

We do estimate this cruise should be avaialble to book by early next year. However, with regret i cannot advise of a specific date range this may go on sale.

Apologies for any inconvienence caused.

kind regards

Stuart

MSC Cruises UK

On the Australian web site the Dubai to Perth grand voyage has been opened for booking B3 balcony cabin Au$8839 brochure price prima price Au$5499 could you tell me when I can book or do I go through my son in Dubai or one of my cousins in Sydney Adelaide or Perth , with so many family in each port of call at 67 it may be the last time I see them Just returned Genoa to Santos MSC Magnifica David Yorath Gold member

Here is a the same list but in date order to aid planning.

MSC Opera, 7th October 2014, from Southampton to Cape Town, 21 nights

MSC Lirica, 7th November 2014 from Civitavecchia to Rio de Janeiro (16-17 nights, post stretching, announced)

MSC Magnifica, 8th November 2014, from Hamburg to Buenos Aires, 20 nights

MSC Armonia, 17th November 2014, (Italy to Durban, 18-19 nights, after scheduled refit & stretch)

MSC Musica, 17th November 2014, from Genoa to Pointre-a-Pitre, Guadeloupe, 18 nights

MSC Sinfonia, 27th November 2014, from Genoa (to Tenerife or Gran Canaria, 9-11 nights)

MSC Opera, 28th March 2015, from Cape Town to Venice, 19 nights

MSC Poesia, 28th March 2015, from Santos to Venice, 18 nights

MSC Magnifica, 6th April 2015, from Buenos Aires to Venice, 21 nights

'Stationary’ Ships

MSC Divina, year-round Miami

MSC Fantasia, year-round Genoa/Venice

MSC Splendida, year-round Genoa

Dry Dock

Edited by Skipper Tim

This is just an observation that most of the confirmed repo cruises are a full 2 days slower than their nearest equivalents from the previous two years e.g. instead of 16 or 17 nights between Italy and Brazil, next year they are 18 or 19 nights, instead of 18 or 19 between Italy and Argentina, next year they are 20 and 21. Looking through the itineraries, there is no corresponding increase in the ports of call. Conclusion: MSC appear to be 1) saving fuel by reducing cruising speed and 2) keeping guests captive at sea for longer.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are Allergissimo won't be available!

I thought Allegrissimo was only available on ships where the on board currency is the Euro?? - northbound Repos don't have the Allegrissimo option??

Longer cruises may result in an older demographic on board.

Annie