Anyone know if buying CCL stock at $35 is a good deal?

Vitamin_Sea

• 1 month later...

My post below is exactly why you shouldn't take investment advice frmo a cruise forum. However, don't say that I didn't warn you it was useless :cool:

I'm no stock picker, but I'd wait until after earnings to buy it. Just a completely useless stock tip on a cruise forum. No big deal.

I guess it depends on who processes your shareholder OBC. We've already received it for both our Sept 2014 and January 2015 cruises. Which clearly, neither are within the 90 day period. I have no intentions of selling my shares. We will need them for OBC on future bookings. ;)

HAHA....

Ever since CCL posted the 4th Qtr earnings a couple weeks ago, its been going up. :eek:

But long term how much upside potential is there? As an investment dont think I would buy it now.

Since we have been going on 2-3 cruises a year we have been getting a 10% tax free stock dividend and that makes it worthwhile for me to hold right now.

But long term how much upside potential is there? As an investment dont think I would buy it now.

Since we have been going on 2-3 cruises a year we have been getting a 10% tax free stock dividend and that makes it worthwhile for me to hold right now.

I was not looking long term. More looking to buy for the OBC then dump it but still watch it. If it takes a deep drop, I buy in.

I just hate buying when its at the year high.

I was not looking long term. More looking to buy for the OBC then dump it but still watch it. If it takes a deep drop, I buy in.

I bought it a couple of years ago for the OBC and kept it. It's actually performed just fine. You get a $100 dividend every year and the OBC every time you sail. It really hasn't jumped up or down significantly since I bought it. I plan on holding it for the dividend and the OBC and since it has remained very steady and reliable.

Would not buy it at a high. Not a trader myself so dont think I would buy it for 100 obc less commissions both ways to make a small profit.

Would not buy it at a high. Not a trader myself so dont think I would buy it for 100 obc less commissions both ways to make a small profit.

Commissions is $14 total, so thats nothing.

So, I would be up $86 bucks

Im gonna watch it and see if it dips.

CCL | 39.88

52 Week High 40.47

52 Week Low 31.44

Earnings Per Share 1.39

P/E Ratio 28.694

Est. Annual Income/Share 1.00

Est. Dividend Yield 2.51%

Market NYSE

Why not hang onto it? $1 per share dividend annually, plus OBC every cruise. It's been a very steady stock. It didn't even tank after the Costa disaster, hell - it barely dipped!

Carnival is strong and it is cheaper than NCL or RCCL and has a better dividend than RCCL (NCL doesn't pay one) and RCCL has no perks like OBC.

It is high right now, but the historical dip isn't until June through August.

Or you could buy it and hang onto it and get a 2.57% annual return. Hell, it's performing better than GE for me right now.

Or you could buy it and hang onto it and get a 2.57% annual return. Hell, it's performing better than GE for me right now.

True but dont see a lot of upside potential right now. As said before we keep it for the obc but if we decided to stop cruising on ships of Carnival would probably sell it.

We bought our stock a week after the Costa Concordia disaster at about $27 a share against the the advice not to by our FA. We were looking at the OBC.as we had multiple cruises booked on CCL products. We have received over 1.5K in OBC to date. The dividend is usually around $1 a share. I believe it was .94 this year. If you cruise a lot it is a great investment. If you do not it has still been a good investment based on the increased value and yearly dividend.:)

• 4 weeks later...
Bought my 100 shares today at 3:30pm. Faxed over the proof and had the $100 OBC applied by 4:45pm.

In time for our Splendor cruise tomorrow . :)

Make sure you bring a copy of how much onboard credit you are supposed to receive for that sailing. I just had an issue on the Ruby Princess with a last minute booking and having the shareholder onboard credit applied. I booked less than a week in advance. The OBC was approved two days prior to sailing and was showing up on the cruise documents, but it didn't make it over to the ship in time. Princess had to open an investigation and reach out to the head office. Until I brought the cruise documents down to the purser's desk that said "shareholder onboard credit," they were telling me to settle it by calling the 1-800 number after getting off the ship (and we all know that outcome.)

Edited by Disconnections

HI all!

limoguy1~ congrats & bon voyage! Wow you used your stock purchase even faster than I did. Have fun spending that OBC.

~ Jo ~ :)

haha thanks...

I could of had it @ $35per share a few weeks ago but I thought the price was gonna go down with the latest earnings report. It went up instead. :eek:

So, I decided to get in today. Last minute!

Make sure you bring a copy of how much onboard credit you are supposed to receive for that sailing. I just had an issue on the Ruby Princess with a last minute booking and having the shareholder onboard credit applied. I booked less than a week in advance. The OBC was approved two days prior to sailing and was showing up on the cruise documents, but it didn't make it over to the ship in time. Princess had to open an investigation and reach out to the head office. Until I brought the cruise documents down to the purser's desk that said "shareholder onboard credit," they were telling me to settle it by calling the 1-800 number after getting off the ship (and we all know that outcome.)

Yes, thanks.

I am bringing the confirmation that I faxed to them on the ship in case of an issue. I can also prove it at the Scottrade webpage with the date and quantity.

CCL said it went through. I hope so!

Buy and sell prices are not usually the same, so it "costing" only $14 is very unlikely with a fast turn around.

I do anticipate that Carnival will reduce this benefit, as MANY people now have it. I cruise the Carnival product very frequently. I will recieve $1000 on cruises this year, (also cruising tomorrow) and am not "finished" booking for this year. So big returns for me, but how long can Carnival afford this?

Buy and sell prices are not usually the same, so it "costing" only $14 is very unlikely with a fast turn around.

I do anticipate that Carnival will reduce this benefit, as MANY people now have it. I cruise the Carnival product very frequently. I will recieve $1000 on cruises this year, (also cruising tomorrow) and am not "finished" booking for this year. So big returns for me, but how long can Carnival afford this?

I have no idea if the share holder benefit will end or be reduced but I do know that NCL and RCCL has a very similar program in place with the OBC.

http://www.rclinvestor.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=103045&p=irol-shareholderbenefit

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ABEA-5WOY6H/2924030871x0x681823/FC8230FE-82FE-4331-B5F6-28A7E543D773/blankPDF.pdf

Edited by limoguy1

So you have to have 100 shares at approx $35/share to get any OBC? Am I understanding this correctly?

It depends on length of cruise and the price of CCL when you buy it.

Its traded daily, so its about $39.50/share now.

A few weeks ago it was $35 /share.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit

Edited by limoguy1