Scotch Drinkers: What liquor is available @ the bars?

Plantcrone

MacCallan isn't offered on the 'Drinks in your cabin' list thats posted online..you know-the packages you can buy ahead of time for set-up in your room?

I needed to call HAL today and make sure my low salt, no wheat medical issues are on file and was bemoaning the lack of nice single malt scotches available in my room..I said I'd be willing to pay the ships price for the bottle with a 6 pack of soda..not that I use it, but grand daughter likes plain soda water.

The very nice woman I spoke with put in a special order for me to have MacCallan in my room..and made sure my food issues were on file and would be addressed.

I guess it just goes to show that asking nicely can get you something a bit different. None of the liquor in the package deals was to my liking..I even bought airline bottles of the blended scotches that HAL offered en suite just to see if there was anything I could drink..there wasn't.

I guess if you just ask for what you want all they can say is "no" and they may just say "yes"!!!!

I have a week to go..leaving for Fla on 12/19 and sailing out on 12/22. We are considering doing Disneyland for a day or so but my ex husband wants us to come visit him so he can meet his 8 year old grand daughter..maybe I'll go to Disneyland by myself…visit with the ex doesn't sound like a good start to vacation relaxation.

Thanks for all the help from you Single Malt Scotch drinkers. It was very appreciated.

MacCallan isn't offered on the 'Drinks in your cabin' list thats posted online..you know-the packages you can buy ahead of time for set-up in your room?

The very nice woman I spoke with put in a special order for me to have MacCallan in my room..and made sure my food issues were on file and would be addressed.

Thanks for all the help from you Single Malt Scotch drinkers. It was very appreciated.

Fantastic. Love MacCallan. Is that the 12 year? How much did they charge? I've booked my first HAL for next year and would love to know.

• 3 weeks later...

Well...I was able to take my own favorite of scotch in my luggage. I put it into soft vinyl containers ans out each in a sock in checked luggage..no problem getting it thru though others who tried to bring bottles had them confiscated.

For the happy hour drink, I chose Jamison's after trying all the under $6.00 bourbon/whiskeys they had available and liked the Jamison's better than anything else available. At the dinner table I splurged for the MacCallam 12year old @$12.00 + their added in sur charge.

I found a nice bartender in the crows deck who would pour me very generous drinks after starting Sunday night with a $5.00 tip and tipping a buck or two for every happy hour which was 4:30-5:30 as we had a 5:30seated dinner in the MDR nightly this worked out nicely for me The last 2 days he poured me MacCallam doubles for Jamison's price at the end of happy hour. He got a generous tip the last evening. And I got to try all the scotches the ship had. I have to say their selection is quite limited. I'm going to write to the office and make some comments about the allowance given for wine drinkers that isn't available to other liquor drinkers.

HAL puts in lovely dinners, the ship was beautifully decorated and grand daughter lived the kids social club. Both she and I got seasick one night..our seas were very choppy several days in a row a d the ship was full of people who were suffering seasickness..me included for a couple of days. I don't much drink during the day so it wasn't liquor causing my distress but the big waves and the ship going up and down.

All in all a good time..I'd do it again

Elle

Glad to see that you went with an open mind and were able to work out your beverage of choice.

And thank you for coming back to this thread and passing on the information for others. Glad you enjoyed your cruise.