Zuiderdam - A/C problems and guar. Cabin?

Hflors

I booked a VH guar. cabin on the Dec 9th cruise. When the price fell HAL did upgrade me to a VD. Now the VD cabins are even less than I originally paid for my VH. Now I am worried that I am going to be stuck in one of the cabins with A/C or plumbing issues. If HAL assigns me one of these cabins can I request a change??? This is our first grarantee and now I am so worried. (We are cruising for my 60th birthday and our 42nd anniversary!) I don't want to spend my birthday in a sweat box! Its 18 days before we cruise and no assignment yet.

Any ideas? I thought this cruise was going to be so cool. Now I am soooo worried.

Thanks for any ideas

Helen

Is your glass half full or half empty. Look at the positives. If your in the snow belt, your escaping to sun. Your off to see new destinations, or a revisit to those you've been to before. For 11 days you don't have to cook or make a bed. Others on the shore will be waving to you and wishing they could be with you. We've been looking forward to this cruise for months now, and I will not let these concerns bother me. Go, enjoy and be thankful you can do this.

Is your glass half full or half empty. Look at the positives. If your in the snow belt, your escaping to sun. Your off to see new destinations, or a revisit to those you've been to before. For 11 days you don't have to cook or make a bed. Others on the shore will be waving to you and wishing they could be with you. We've been looking forward to this cruise for months now, and I will not let these concerns bother me. Go, enjoy and be thankful you can do this.

I agree with you 100%!!!

My glass is AT LEAST 1/2 full and I am going to be filling it completely next Friday, 29 November as I board the Zuiderdam:) AND I am in an aft stateroom and not one bit worried:)

I know that the temps cannot be set to run at less than 72 degrees and for me that is a perfect temp. But, even if it is higher than that, I will make lemonade out of any lemons that may appear:) I will be on a cruise ship with my hubby, celebrating 43 years together, my 61st birthday and his 69th.

We will be with good friends, going to a part of the America's I've only dreamed of seeing. I will not be cooking, cleaning, making beds, etc.. Being waited on almost hand and foot.......Ah Life is good and only going to get better:)

As an FYI, hubby and I may do one or 2 posts while we are on the Zuiderdam. Not promising we definitely will, but we were just discussing it and if we can spare a moment or 2 during the cruise we will:)

Joanie

Always have wondered why people choose to go to the tropics, and then demand they be insulated from them in hermetically-sealed artificial environments. And hell to pay, if they are asked to experience one degree more than their own version of room temperature

Always have wondered why people choose to go to the tropics, and then demand they be insulated from them in hermetically-sealed artificial environments. And hell to pay, if they are asked to experience one degree more than their own version of room temperature

I truly enjoy the tropics however, I enjoy being comfortable when indoors. Now using my DW as an example when she sleeps her body temp goes thru the roof (if you don't understand ask any mature woman). In fact, we have an auxiliary air conditioner in the bedroom for this purpose. So the inference I draw based on your statement above she should be uncomfortable and not sleep for the entire time we are on vacation. She is fine during the day and enjoys he beach and being on deck in the sun. Don't take this wrong but before we attempt to color our world with your glasses you should wear ours. JMHO.

I truly enjoy the tropics however, I enjoy being comfortable when indoors. Now using my DW as an example when she sleeps her body temp goes thru the roof (if you don't understand ask any mature woman). In fact, we have an auxiliary air conditioner in the bedroom for this purpose. So the inference I draw based on your statement above she should be uncomfortable and not sleep for the entire time we are on vacation. She is fine during the day and enjoys he beach and being on deck in the sun. Don't take this wrong but before we attempt to color our world with your glasses you should wear ours. JMHO.

It is all about choices …. and demands … and guarantees that both your demands and choices will be in perfect harmony. Maybe not a good time to go cruising in the tropics?

Edited by OlsSalt

Easy to have such a bland attitude towards the OP's legitimate concerns, but I suspect you would not feel so chippy if you spent 11 days in a stateroom with no working AC, especially when it is known that this problem existed for the last three sailings, and they are still routinely putting unsuspecting passengers in these rooms :mad:, then lying to them and acting all "Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry to hear that. We will get it fixed immediately" , when they know in fact it was not able to be fixed in at least the last 3 cruises, and it will not be fixed on this one either. Having just sailed 11/8, I was lucky enough to not be in one of these rooms, but spoke to numerous people who were, and I promise you that with outside weather conditions of 90 degrees and 79% relative humidity, they did not view it as an opportunity to "escape to sun".

Easy to have such a bland attitude towards the OP's legitimate concerns, but I suspect you would not feel so chippy if you spent 11 days in a stateroom with no working AC, especially when it is known that this problem existed for the last three sailings, and they are still routinely putting unsuspecting passengers in these rooms :mad:, then lying to them and acting all "Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry to hear that. We will get it fixed immediately" , when they know in fact it was not able to be fixed in at least the last 3 cruises, and it will not be fixed on this one either. Having just sailed 11/8, I was lucky enough to not be in one of these rooms, but spoke to numerous people who were, and I promise you that with outside weather conditions of 90 degrees and 79% relative humidity, they did not view it as an opportunity to "escape to sun".

As long as you can back up these statement with objective proof, you make a good point. And can only lead to the conclusions HAL hates their passengers and doesn't care if they hate sailing on HAL ships. After all, what are they in the highly competitive hospitality business for in the first place other than to abuse paying customers.

I agree with you 100%!!!

My glass is AT LEAST 1/2 full and I am going to be filling it completely next Friday, 29 November as I board the Zuiderdam:) AND I am in an aft stateroom and not one bit worried:)

I know that the temps cannot be set to run at less than 72 degrees and for me that is a perfect temp. But, even if it is higher than that, I will make lemonade out of any lemons that may appear:)

Joanie

Not wishing any bad luck on you, but you should be concerned if your cabin is on deck 6,7, or 8, which had non working AC on the 11/8 sailing, as well as the three prior sailings. It was not a case of not being able to get the temp cold, there was NO working AC, period, according to numerous table mates who were in these rooms. With the daily temperature averaging 90 degrees and 79% relative humidity, that is going to be opportunity for you to practice making a lot of lemonade.:D

If you avoid this problem, the ship is nice, the entertainment is fun, and the food is excellent.

It is all about choices …. and demands … and guarantees that both your demands and choices will be in perfect harmony. Maybe not a good time to go cruising in the tropics?

This is very personal. I am on a chemotherapy that renders me medically unable to regulate my own body temperature. I have wildly huge temperature swings in very short periods of time. I certainly appreciate A/C, as I can always put on additional clothing, but cannot not always remove them (and still remain in society's good graces:eek:). I will survive with or without A/C, though I certainly have a preference.

For some people, there is no putting off today what can be done tomorrow. For some, well all of us really, there is no guarantee of tomorrow. The time is now.

I am also a person who is holding a VB gty for our cruise. I am going to keep my fingers crossed for an assignment to a room in which all of the pieces and parts are operational. Actually, I hope that for EVERYBODY boarding the Zuiderdam!:)

Edited by TracieABD

This is very personal. I am on a chemotherapy that renders me medically unable to regulate my own body temperature. I have wildly huge temperature swings in very short periods of time. I certainly appreciate A/C, as I can always put on additional clothing, but cannot not always remove them (and still remain in society's good graces:eek:). I will survive with or without A/C, though I certainly have a preference.

For some people, there is no putting off today what can be done tomorrow. For some, well all of us really, there is no guarantee of tomorrow. The time is now.

I am also a person who is holding a VB gty for our cruise. I am going to keep my fingers crossed for an assignment to a room in which all of the pieces and parts are operational. Actually, I hope that for EVERYBODY boarding the Zuiderdam!:)

I hope you reconsider with your level of admitted health challenges for a more temperature secure travel option. Why take the chance?

I am sorry, but I think most of the people who responded missed my point. The question I was posing is there any alternatives if I do get assigned one of the cabins that are known for having the no A/C problems?

I know what going thru the Panama Canal is like with out air and it isn't pleasant. We booked the Statendam a couple of years ago and everything was fine until we got further south. For 6 - 7 days we had no A/C in our cabin. During the day we left the door open and just closed the curtains across the doorway. If you want to know what it felt like go into your bathroom and turn on the shower to a very hot setting and then with the bathroom door closed from the rest of the house (and don't turn the vent on) sit in the bathroom for about an hour. See the perspiration on your for-head and the rest of your body. That is what our cabin felt like for about a week of our trip. Someone from the front desk came down three times a day and took the temp. They also gave us a fan to stir up the humid air. Our cabin did not get cooler until we were in the Pacific headed for San Diego. At the last day of our cruise they gave us a $500.00 obc as a "We are sorry this happened to you".

I am going to keep my fingers crossed that we get a cabin with no a/C problems. If we do at least this time we do have a balcony and we can open the door (last time we had an OV cabin)

I booked a VH guar. cabin on the Dec 9th cruise. When the price fell HAL did upgrade me to a VD. Now the VD cabins are even less than I originally paid for my VH. Now I am worried that I am going to be stuck in one of the cabins with A/C or plumbing issues. If HAL assigns me one of these cabins can I request a change??? This is our first grarantee and now I am so worried. (We are cruising for my 60th birthday and our 42nd anniversary!) I don't want to spend my birthday in a sweat box! Its 18 days before we cruise and no assignment yet.

Any ideas? I thought this cruise was going to be so cool. Now I am soooo worried.

Thanks for any ideas

Helen

Helen,

You are obviously very concerned about being given one of the cabins with A/C and/or toilet problems. You didn't say who you booked this cruise with or what you had paid, but I suggest that you call whoever you booked with and ask if you could pay extra, if necessary, to book Cabin VE 5050. That cabin shows available and is on the 5th deck (problem decks are 6, 7 & 8 from what I've read)...It is also pretty much forward. As I said, it may cost you a bit more, but you would at least have peace of mind. I'm not sure if you can ask for another cabin once a gty has been assigned....that is something you could ask your TA. I believe that if you cancelled at this point, you would lose everything....unless you have cancel for any reason insurance.

I too am looking at this cruise for February, but I am waiting to book until closer to the time and I have read all of the reports. I hope that you have good luck with whatever cabin you get...let us know.

Jane

…..

I am going to keep my fingers crossed that we get a cabin with no a/C problems. If we do at least this time we do have a balcony and we can open the door (last time we had an OV cabin)

Do you care about the other passengers if you force your balcony door open if you are on an interconnected system. If cabin temperature assurance is vital to your health, I don't understand why you are risking it or intentionally inconveniencing other passengers if you don't get what you want. Please rethink your Plan B. :confused:

Not wishing any bad luck on you, but you should be concerned if your cabin is on deck 6,7, or 8, which had non working AC on the 11/8 sailing, as well as the three prior sailings. It was not a case of not being able to get the temp cold, there was NO working AC, period, according to numerous table mates who were in these rooms. With the daily temperature averaging 90 degrees and 79% relative humidity, that is going to be opportunity for you to practice making a lot of lemonade.:D

If you avoid this problem, the ship is nice, the entertainment is fun, and the food is excellent.

Think I may just buy some lemons at the store across from my hotel before we board the ship on Friday:) We are in 6166, yep the aft:)

I'll try to let you all know what we experience temp wise:) Possibly as early as the 30th while we are at Half Moon Cay, since I never get off the ship there, this will be a perfect time to post.

Joanie

Thanks for any ideas

Helen

I like the idea of seeing if you can pay extra for a specific cabin. I also don't think there's much you can do except ASK for a different cabin if you get assigned one of the ones that concern you. Maybe if you ask for a lower category, you may stand a better chance. E.g., if you get a VA you don't want, see if you can get a VB or VC that you consider acceptable?

Sincere best wishes for you TracieABD for your full recovery. I'm glad you are not putting off something you want to do. I hear the A/C by the Front Desk works well, usually -- you might consider "camping" there if your cabin has a problem ;) That might provide the staff with motivation, y'know? :D

Sincere best wishes for you TracieABD for your full recovery. I'm glad you are not putting off something you want to do. I hear the A/C by the Front Desk works well, usually -- you might consider "camping" there if your cabin has a problem ;) That might provide the staff with motivation, y'know? :D

Thanks, Princess. I am good. :) Actually, it has been a year, and I am adjusting quite nicely. I frequently travel to really hot places that do not have the luxury of A/C and I survive. I will survive this as well.

I am really glad to see that you are still on the boards. :)

It is like finding an old friend!

TracieABD, if I was on the same cruise, I'd come with you and we'd have a pyjama party near the front desk ;) You'd be supplying a bottle of wine :D

If we were on the same cruise, I would be carrying your 2 bottles of wine on board. The PJ party is a great idea. I would drink hot chocolate and you could drink your wine! Win-Win!:D