Itinerary Decisions....What To Do??

RCmommy

I am hoping for some direction.....I was going to post in the ports of call, but I figured some Carnival peeps can help me out since I figure many of you have sailed to these ports before and we are currently booked with Carnival.

We currently have (below) booked, leaving Miami, 7 nights - ports are Nassau, Grand Turk, St Thomas USVI and San Juan.

We primarily choose this one because of the variety in stops (not two or three in Bahamas) and the opportunity to take the kids to see Atlantis. They want the dolphin interaction.

From what I am reading, Atlantis is beautiful but huge and can get quite busy. We can switch to a different cruise leaving from New Orleans, 7 nights that goes to Cozumel, Belize and I believe Jamaica. We have only cruised once to New England and the only island in the Caribbean we have visited is Jamaica for one week years ago (no kids)

My questions is....which would you do? I am sure there are dolphin interactions at many ports in the Caribbean so that is not a big deal. Would we be greatly missing out to skip Atlantis?

We are not the type of family to just sit at the beach and swim but get out and try something new, a little adventure maybe...

I would appreciate anything you are willing to share, suggest, etc.

in Nassau you can book the dolphin excursion at the blue lagoon on your own cheaper than the one at atlantis. do google search for blue lagoon Bahamas and you will find their website.

Will do, thank you.

I am hoping for some direction.....I was going to post in the ports of call, but I figured some Carnival peeps can help me out since I figure many of you have sailed to these ports before and we are currently booked with Carnival.

We currently have (below) booked, leaving Miami, 7 nights - ports are Nassau, Grand Turk, St Thomas USVI and San Juan.

We primarily choose this one because of the variety in stops (not two or three in Bahamas) and the opportunity to take the kids to see Atlantis. They want the dolphin interaction.

From what I am reading, Atlantis is beautiful but huge and can get quite busy. We can switch to a different cruise leaving from New Orleans, 7 nights that goes to Cozumel, Belize and I believe Jamaica. We have only cruised once to New England and the only island in the Caribbean we have visited is Jamaica for one week years ago (no kids)

My questions is....which would you do? I am sure there are dolphin interactions at many ports in the Caribbean so that is not a big deal. Would we be greatly missing out to skip Atlantis?

We are not the type of family to just sit at the beach and swim but get out and try something new, a little adventure maybe...

I would appreciate anything you are willing to share, suggest, etc.

In Coz you can rent ATV's or Jeeps and go exploring, do a adventure race, Jamaica, zip line or climb the Falls if your stop is Ocho Rios, and Belize sits on the largest reef in this hemisphere so you can do a sharks and ray excursion to Caye Caulker, or visit Mayan ruins at Xanantunich. Roatan has Tabyana Beach and Gumbalimba Park, both fantastic.

While Grand Turk is nice and has great snorkeling, it is mainly a beach port. Nassau and St Thomas are good for shopping and both have some nice beaches, and Atlantis. San Juan has a bio bay, horseback riding, and hiking in the rainforest.

My suggestion would be to pull up the website and review the various excursions from Carnival to see which appeal to you the most. Google dolphin encounters and see what ports come up - the best in my opinion, is off Playa Del Carmen and may not be suitable time and distance wise as a ship excursion.

Whatever you decide, enjoy!

Edited by evandbob

Check your schedule, are you on the Conquest?

They port at Nassau at 7am, the major slides at the park don't open until 10am and you'll have to leave around 1-1:15 to get back to the ship by 1:30pm. I just can't justify spending that much do to go to a waterpark for 3 hrs. I couldn't see how you'd have time to do both the water park and the dolphins. I wouldn't plan my cruise around that one activity.

We've been on all of these, and each one has it's own merits and we're not beach people either.

Check your schedule, are you on the Conquest?

They port at Nassau at 7am, the major slides at the park don't open until 10am and you'll have to leave around 1-1:15 to get back to the ship by 1:30pm. I just can't justify spending that much do to go to a waterpark for 3 hrs. I couldn't see how you'd have time to do both the water park and the dolphins. I wouldn't plan my cruise around that one activity.

We've been on all of these, and each one has it's own merits and we're not beach people either.

We are on the conquest. There is no way I would even get the kids out of bed by 7am! I am leaning towards not spending that kind of money either for such a short time.

I wouldn't cancel that cruise itinerary just because we opt out of Atlantis, but that does leave me looking at the other itineraries closer and wondering if there may be a better option.

I have looked at many excursions. Our kids will be 11 so that may limit us.

I was just going to point out the same thing as someone else. Look at the Nassau port times. My kids were begging to go to the Atlantis this year. I first researched with cruises went to Nassau and then narrowed by port times. I wanted a good full day there if I was paying that much!

Also, if just looking for dolphins we loved Cozumel and Chanknaab. Good luck!

Edited by rdevine10

I suggest you head to your library and perhaps take out a port of call Caribbean book. Also take a look at shore excursion lists. Read up on EACH port and determine how you would spend your time based on YOUR family's interest. IF Atlantis is the priority, then skip looking further, and book that cruise. Then fill in activities for the other ports.

We are on the conquest. There is no way I would even get the kids out of bed by 7am! I am leaning towards not spending that kind of money either for such a short time.

I wouldn't cancel that cruise itinerary just because we opt out of Atlantis, but that does leave me looking at the other itineraries closer and wondering if there may be a better option.

I have looked at many excursions. Our kids will be 11 so that may limit us.

11 is not that limiting. Geocaching is a good activity for that age. We usually try to find one at every port when we can.

The ports that tend to be more pricey (due mainly to fuel prices) are Jamaica and Roatan.

Nassau,

We gone up to the Queen's stair case and fort area. Taken the bus past the Atlantis bridge and into the poor section. We've also taken a bus to the airport and resorts area.

Grand Turk-Major activities are snorkeling, scuba and the port facilities.

Our plans were to rent a golf cart from Nathan's and ride around the island. That's how small it is. We've never gotten to go there, the port was skipped twice and I've been told that wind plays a major factor in porting there.

St Thomas USVI,

We been there once and booked Island Girl, they had power snorkel and took us to and island to snorkel and then put up the sails and we sailed back into port, plus you get the dingy ride to and from the boat.

San Juan, we just took a tour around the town, not sure if the kids would like that.

... My kids were begging to go to the Atlantis this year. I first researched with cruises went to Nassau and then narrowed by port times. I wanted a good full day there if I was paying that much!

I wanted to go to Atlantis too, but our port times have never made it plausible. Check the departure time, we saw people lining up at 10:30 for the excursion, I fthought that was late, I would want to be at the Park at the park by 9:00.

Atlantis I think is exaggerated. Our friends went there and just thought it was ok, but you don't have time for as much $$ as you spend. On the other hand, if you want a great day at Nassau with an incredible dolphin swim:

http://www.bahamasbluelagoon.com/

homepage_header.jpg

You can either get in the water and do an encounter, or this awesome swim with the famous double dolphin 'push':

nassau-bahamas-dolphin-programs.jpg

We did the sea lions since I had seen lots of dolphin encounters offered but never a chance to play with sea lions. It was one of the most memorable things we have done! SO much fun, and the island was great to visit after and enjoy for the day. We liked it so much, we picked our next cruise to go back to Nassau so we can go back to BL.

601877_110171732518419_137065311_n.jpg

923029_110172249185034_522862991_n.jpg

Nassau has some GREAT things to offer! Just be sure to book something specific because the port can be a waste otherwise.

Edited by TwinPrincessMermaids

having done both of these itineraries, you'll have a great time with whichever you choose. I have definite favorite stops with each of those itineraries.

re: Atlantis - I haven't done that, but I rarely will decide the itinerary based on a single excursion, but rather 2-3 things for the week that I hope to do/see/experience, understanding all along that things happen and could change but still hope to hit a good portion of the list and not get bummed if a hurricane prevents a stop in Grand Turk (actual example).

Out of all the excursions DW and I have done, we enjoyed our trip to Grand Cayman 2 years ago, where we had our most memorable excursion. We are both mid 60's, but still very active. We did a 2 part excursion, 1. Sting Ray City, swimming with the rays; 2. Dolphin Encounter, in the water with the dolphins. There were as many kids on these as older adults.

Edited by Georgiagolfer
spelling

If you're looking for adventure, definitely switch to exotic western. In Belize you can cave tube or climb Mayan ruins, or do a combo. You can also snorkel with sharks.

In Cozumel, snorkeling or hang out with dolphins, manatees and sea lions at Chankanaab.

For Roatan you can go to Maya Key or take a private with Victor Bodden and interact with monkeys! macaws! and have beach.

For caymans! stingray city and snorkeling.

I really love all the options in the exotic western. So much we booked again for next spring.

If you're looking for adventure, definitely switch to exotic western. In Belize you can cave tube or climb Mayan ruins, or do a combo. You can also snorkel with sharks.

In Cozumel, snorkeling or hang out with dolphins, manatees and sea lions at Chankanaab.

For Roatan you can go to Maya Key or take a private with Victor Bodden and interact with monkeys! macaws! and have beach.

For caymans! stingray city and snorkeling.

I really love all the options in the exotic western. So much we booked again for next spring.

I agree especially with Victors tours for the day in Roatan !!

For adventure, I'd opt for the Western Caribbean itinerary.

I'd book a cave tubing excursion in Belize. It's one of the most unique and fun excursions I've ever had.

Victor Bodden's private tour (only $25pp) is THE BEST excursion I've ever had...you can pretty much do anything you want on that island! And where else can you go where you get to play with monkeys?

Grand Cayman has some really cool stingray sandbar excursions...again, this is something that you can't really do anyplace else.

As for the dolphins, you will get a great dolphin experience for a lot less money in Cozumel. Atlantis is very overpriced IMO. In Cozumel, you can frequently find Buy One Get One Free dolphin promotions (but you need to NOT tell them you are on a Carnival cruise when you book)...and the dolphin experience is located right inside of Chankanaab Park. Chankanaab is AMAZING. Gorgeous place to relax, great snorkeling right off the beach, and even some shows throughout the day if you're interested.

Edited by rockbock

Both itineraries are good ones. It depends on what you want to do. I agree with the recommendation to do some research on the ports to see what suits your family better. I have done the exotic western (Roatan/Belize/Cozumel) itinerary, as well as an eastern one that went to Nassau and St. Thomas (and St. Maarten). The eastern carribean was just DH and I but the exotic western we had our DD (2 years old). The eastern was okay, my favorite port was St. Maarten. But I don't care if I go to St. Thomas or Nassau again. They were fine and relaxing, but not really exciting. It was beautiful and romantic, but my daughter would have been bored.

There were a lot more things to do in Roatan and Cozumel- imo. Roatan has monkeys and other animals if you do a tour with Bodden. Cozumel has dolphins, snorkling, ruins, beach- you name it. Belize has cave tubing, snokeling and ziplining, which older kids would enjoy.

We like the the Eastern Route with the expection of Nassau. You can get an excursion from St Thomas that takes your over to British Tortola to do a dolphin swim, but you do need a passport since you would be entering the British Virgin Islands from the US Virgin Islands. San Juan and Grand Turk are nice as well.

I appreciate all this great advice! If we stay with the cruise we have booked I think we will head towards Blue Lagoon versus Atlantis.

I had no idea about the monkeys! My daughter would flip out. She is a animal lover. Both are cub scouts as well so they have zip lining experience. We are looking at the various excursions on both cruises and it is not an easy call!

My hubby wants to stick with the Miami home port so that would keep us on the Conquest with Cozumel, Belize, Isla Roatan and Costa Maya Mexico. Does anyone have an opinion on Costa Maya?