Noro on the Gem

VioletHorse

On the Gem now, yes we have a Noro but if you didn't know he signs you would never know it. The crew is all good no signs of illness for them. One can bring all the Lysol and anti-bacterial products they want but it won't change the fact that a lot of people are very unsanitary and that was evident the first day. Hands in everything 😒 I watched at least 5 women in the forts 2 days walk right out of the bathroom and not wash their hands. It is all part if the crusie lol.

This does not seem to be a virus of epic proportion I have seen much worse.

This is exactly why we carry our Lysol spray, Clorox wipes, and hand sanitizer...I will be adding antibacterial hand soap to my luggage. Germiphobic? Nah! I just don't want to be sick if I could have prevented it. :)

I certainly hope it's only a precaution. But I plan to have a blast come Monday anyway.

Actually, I prefer to have the staff use the tongs. Then I know the "non-handwashing" person in line before me can't give me their germies!

Everyone, stay well, seriously.

Clorox wipes that you buy in the Grocery store do not kill the Norovirus. However, there is a germicidal wipe by Clorox that you can buy in hospital supply stores that does kill it. You stay well too, and Happy cruising!

On the Gem now, yes we have a Noro but if you didn't know he signs you would never know it. The crew is all good no signs of illness for them. One can bring all the Lysol and anti-bacterial products they want but it won't change the fact that a lot of people are very unsanitary and that was evident the first day. Hands in everything 😒 I watched at least 5 women in the forts 2 days walk right out of the bathroom and not wash their hands. It is all part if the crusie lol.

So glad to hear this! Thanks for posting a live update. ;)

On the Gem now, yes we have a Noro but if you didn't know he signs you would never know it. The crew is all good no signs of illness for them. One can bring all the Lysol and anti-bacterial products they want but it won't change the fact that a lot of people are very unsanitary and that was evident the first day. Hands in everything I watched at least 5 women in the forts 2 days walk right out of the bathroom and not wash their hands. It is all part if the crusie lol.

Thanks for the report...AND PLEASE stay healthy !!

Thanks for the report...AND PLEASE stay healthy !!

Thanks! I have never in all my years of sailing seen such a quick pro active response. We have never had a Noro on NCL but have on other lines. This was I would call rapid response i( I am with OEM as part of my job at home) Jenny knows how to run a ship and given that none of the crew is ill I would assume it was brought on. We did come on after a one nigt CTN and we heard they really created havoc for the crew and quite a mess.

I am on vacation it is all good!

Thanks! I have never in all my years of sailing seen such a quick pro active response. We have never had a Noro on NCL but have on other lines. This was I would call rapid response i( I am with OEM as part of my job at home) Jenny knows how to run a ship and given that none of the crew is ill I would assume it was brought on. We did come on after a one nigt CTN and we heard they really created havoc for the crew and quite a mess.

I am on vacation it is all good!

Yeah-Jenny is GREAT!--(btw-did you say hi from jaja for me?)

Perhaps NCL and the other lines should adapt HAL's policy of "code orange".....the first couple of days of each cruise, the buffet's are operated as if there was a "code red" noro outbreak--they handle all foods and put them on passenger's plates, cups, etc. as directed.

After seeing no outbreaks on board, they then relax the operation to normal where guests may take their own portions....

As for passenger's lying on the health form upon checking in....perhaps they should employ some type of scanner that can tell if a passenger has any fever (while passing thru metal detector?).....although not sure if noro causes a detectable fever......

Edited by bob brown

Once on the first few days of our cruise at the buffet we were being served. After the third day it went back to self serve, but they never reported it as noro...???

Stay well mommyto2girls btw were you able to get Jeny email or any contact info??

Safe sailing

I'm boarding a month from tomorrow! Let me just say--and I don't know all the details--but there's a totally funky cold/flu/bug whatever all over New York right now. I'm just about over it but felt totally miserable for two weeks and my entire department at work has it at different levels of terrible! I'm sure that's what's working its way around the ship. Glad they're being cautious.

I feel real lucky we were on last week. The week before us, I was told, had rain in every port and rough seas. Now the week after has noro.

Since the OP stated that the Captain announced the precautions in his welcome aboard, this means that there were enough cases the previous week (when you were onboard) to initiate the precautions this week. That means that the noro was present for your cruise as well. Not wanting to rain on you, but pointing out the realities of GI management. So, you were lucky not to have caught noro, but the timing had nothing to do with it.

Since the OP stated that the Captain announced the precautions in his welcome aboard, this means that there were enough cases the previous week (when you were onboard) to initiate the precautions this week. That means that the noro was present for your cruise as well. Not wanting to rain on you, but pointing out the realities of GI management. So, you were lucky not to have caught noro, but the timing had nothing to do with it.

The current Gem cruise left last Saturday 11/16 for a 9 day Carribean cruise. I was on the 1 night CTN from 11/15-11/16. There was no NORO precautions. I think The captains welcome aboard speech was when they came back onboard from the port they were currently stopped in and let the passengers know what's going on.

Edited by Godiva830

If the crew stops handing out utensils at the buffet tomorrow (day 3) then it's just a precaution to give the crew time to monitor guests is my guess.

Re: Jenny... yup she's a great HD, always on top of things as well as friendly and approachable.

Edited by kylenyc

The current Gem cruise left last Saturday 11/16 for a 9 day Carribean cruise. I was on the 1 night CTN from 11/15-11/16. There was no NORO precautions. I think The captains welcome aboard speech was when they came back onboard from the port they were currently stopped in and let the passengers know what's going on.

You are correct there was no NORO onboard when we were on for the one night or even the previous week's sailing. This is definitely something someone picked up from one of the ports after leaving St. Marteen.

I had no fever, or vomitting but I felt like a food processor until we got to San Juan and was able to get Pepto & Imodium.(not available on ship). We heard lots of flushing around us.

You can get Imodium on board but must go to the Medical Office, the gift shop should have informed you of that.

Of course once you go to the medical office and report your symptoms you will be confined to your cabin for 24 hours.

Also be charged about $8 for the pill and $6 dispensing fee for seeing the nurse.

FWIW

Okay, didn't get that from the original post, and didn't look at the itinerary. However, just because there were no "noro precautions" doesn't mean there were no cases of noro on the previous cruise. There is a "trigger" level of reported cases that each cruise line sets that must be reached before they institute the "silver service" or whatever their term is, and this level is below the USPH required reporting level. So, until there are enough cases of noro, the lines don't feel it is worth bothering the guests with added precautions. Generally, there is at least one or two cases reported to medical each cruise. And since the incubation period is 3 days or so, there is normally a drop in reported cases right after an embarkation, which then starts to rise during the voyage. If the case load is greater than last voyage, and they will watch it closely, maybe with additional sanitizing at night, until it reaches the level where the self-service will be discontinued.

Noro has an incubation period of 24-48 hours after being exposed and since precautions were put into place on day 6 of the cruise, it's likely current passengers brought it onto the ship and spread. The poster, mommyto2girls, saw people on the first day putting their hands into the food on the buffet and saw people not washing their hands after using the restroom.

Yeah-Jenny is GREAT!--(btw-did you say hi from jaja for me?)

Did not see Jenny , will do it tomorrow she is very busy!

To set the record straight since I am on the ship, there was nothing "picked up " in one of our ports and I was told today by medical staff it is completely under control no one else getting sick. I am more of the belief that it came form the one night since a lot of the upper staff told us they ship was a wreck after they got off. Washy Eashy folks are everywhere and no one from the crew is sick. This is being made into a much bigger deal than it is. This is not our first crusie and again I will say I believe there was a very rapid response to this. By the way e first case was just before arrival in Jan Juan so either someone got on with it or someone left it after the CTN.

Edited by mommyto2girls

There is a bug going around so wouldn't be surprised if someone brought it on. DD ENTIRE class has had it over the past 3 weeks. She had it last week, niece and nephews had it earlier this week. No fever, no vomiting, just explosive D that seems to last 12-24 hours and gone.

Did not see Jenny , will do it tomorrow she is very busy!

To set the record straight since I am on the ship, there was nothing "picked up " in one of our ports and I was told today by medical staff it is completely under control no one else getting sick. I am more of the belief that it came form the one night since a lot of the upper staff told us they ship was a wreck after they got off. Washy Eashy folks are everywhere and no one from the crew is sick. This is being made into a much bigger deal than it is. This is not our first crusie and again I will say I believe there was a very rapid response to this. By the way e first case was just before arrival in Jan Juan so either someone got on with it or someone left it after the CTN.

Thank you SOO much for posting live from the ship. You have made me feel much better!!

Enjoy your last 2 days - can't wait to compare reviews when I get back! :D:D

- Hopefully nobody will bring it on with us! :rolleyes: this is just going to make me a little extra cautious - and hunt down those washy, washy, happy, happy folks onboard! LOL