HMC Help...

Elaine515

Last time we were in HMC we were lucky enough to rent a Cabana. The bus dropped us off right behind the cabana and Mom made her way to the cabana and loved it.. Sat on the porch with the misting fan and people watched.

We were able to bring her lunch there and it was an all around great day...

We are going there again in February and are unable to rent a cabana.. ALL SOLD OUT ..

Mom is not able to get up and down into a chaise lounge on the sand and definitely can't climb into a clamshell...She uses an electric scooter but does use her cane for short walks. Is there anything else to do on HMC for someone with this type of disability? Thanks for all/any suggestions...

There are no activities for the handicapped on HMC. There are a number of beach wheelchairs available behind the information desk that are available for use. My last trip there I was able to roll onto the tender in my power chair, once on the island I was able to transfer to one of the beach chairs and my wife wheeled me to the waters edge and dumped me in. I floated about for a couple of hours and had a nice time. Once they got me out of the water I got back into the power chair and spent the rest of the day at the bar in the paved area.

My only recommendation would be to get one of the beach chairs and take her out to the beach with you. Sorry I know that's not much help

Is it possible to get on a wait list for a cabana?

Yup, already did that and was told that we're #1 on the waitlist but I still check every single day to see if one becomes available.. Fingers are crossed...

Thanks to everyone else for their suggestions... I know HMC is a private tiny Island just so frustrating that there is truly nothing for Mom or anyone who is limited in mobility to do there... As info, Mom doesn't like to go into the water, she really loved just sitting on the porch and people watch...

Maybe we'll take her to that area prior to the beach and let her sit there.. Not sure its something she wants to do but I'll definitely mention it to her..

Normally staying onboard the ship while its at a Port is something we love to do.. but HMC is one place we'd love to be able to get off the ship as we luv it there...

Fingers crossed that a cabana becomes available but thats not something we'll even know until we're on the ship...

• 2 weeks later...

Have you asked on your roll call if anyone with a cabana would let your mom enjoy their porch? I know that if I had one rented and someone in her situation needed a place to sit and watch the world go by, I would certainly say "by all means"!

Have you asked on your roll call if anyone with a cabana would let your mom enjoy their porch? I know that if I had one rented and someone in her situation needed a place to sit and watch the world go by, I would certainly say "by all means"!

Not exactly asked but there is a large group cruising together and I dropped a hint that maybe they would give up their individual villas and rent the bigger one together as a group but noone bit !!! I think at this point unless we get a cabana once we board the ship, we're just gonna stay on=board.. As much as I love HMC, I'm taking advantage of still being able to cruise with my 80 and 85 year old parents :)

I no longer get off the ship at HMC because it is a tender port. I walk short distances with a cane, but use a scooter on board and in most ports. Since I've been there many times, it's no longer a novelty, so I take advantage of quiet time on board.

If I recall correctly, Half Moon Cay has the “roll on” tenders and there is not any problem getting off or on the ship. Betty

I did not get off at HMC in March because of my scooter. My DH did go, and when he returned he said he met someone on the island who had a scooter and she said there was absolutely no problem riding her scooter directly onto the tender. Next time we travel there I may check out the roll-on tender.