Internet Cafe on Norwegian ships

36kruzes

Thank you for the link!!!!! I checked it -- EXPENSIVE! Guess it's the same on all ships now. Remember when the highest rate was $.50 per minute --- now it's $.75 without a package 'deal.' Need to try to stay 'off' line!

They sell multiple packages that start at .75 a minute. However, you get lots of extra minutes if you are a latitudes member, bronze, silver, gold, or platinum. Also they have a day (I think Tuesday) where you surf with only using 50% of your minutes. So if you were online for 20 minutes, it would really be only 10.

NCL will also give away other deals the first day on board too. I did not think the internet connection was so bad for being in the middle of the ocean. Sometimes it was very slow but sometimes it was actually fast.

NOTE: This post made me a blue ribbon cruiser YAY!

Edited by david_sobe

I was on the Dawn recently and found the connection slower than ever, one night it wouldn't even connect. I didn't find I got many additional minutes for being Lattitudes, you do get some extra if you sign up for a package the first day.

Maybe we're supposed to remember:

1. For the most part, the ship is in the middle of ocean

2. It's Satellite service and NCL has no control over the connection speed. They can install the very best Routers and have them located in numerous spots on the ship but, with it being satellite service and the ship being built of steel... it's not going to be good, so don't plan on spending a lot of time online or having very fast connection when you are.

3. You're on vacation... com'on relax, enjoy your cruise. :D

You do get extra minutes for Latitudes. You have to tell the internet manager and they will add them to your account. On the Gem, he added it on the second day. He said it was because we got some free minutes with the package on the first day. Said couldn't do two extra on the same day.

3. You're on vacation... com'on relax, enjoy your cruise. :D

THAT is what I wish so many people would remember. It's the terrible curse of our 24/7 connected technology...we've forgotten how to relax and enjoy TIME OFF!! Have you seen the surveys of how many people work when they're on vacation? Everyone's so concerned about not missing a single email, text or phone message...but you know, somehow the world does go on even if you don't read that last CC or BCC....and if you're a manager, and your staff can't do the work without you constantly riding herd on them, shame on you!

Ok...done with my rant!! Feel better now:D

Hi

My husband Marty and I will be on this sailing. 35th cruise. 4th on NCL. Can't wait to get out of the terribly cold weather. Sign us up for the meet and greet.

You probably meant to post this on the roll call for whichever cruise you're on....

The one perk in the suites are extra routers - in my experience, the Haven WiFi speed is far better than elsewhere on the ship. And yes, there are "Happy Hour" specials where you earn back minutes spent online during certain times. We actually shared our package with everyone in our suite and still ended up not using up everything we had. I can also vouch that you won't get your Latitudes minutes unless you ask for them ;).

The one perk in the suites are extra routers - in my experience, the Haven WiFi speed is far better than elsewhere on the ship.

Sorry but that is just a placebo effect. The speed of closest router (or any router onboard for that matter) doesn't help you as the bottleneck for the entire ship is the same - the satellite link. Even if the Wi-Fi worked on the lowest possible speed the devices can negotiate between each other (available since late 90's), in most cases even that wouldn't be a bottleneck for a single user onboard - and the current Wi-Fi connection speeds are usually 54 to 300 times that.

I've used internet on all my cruises, both in regular staterooms and suites and there is no difference - if there are a lot of concurrent users, the internet is slow and sometimes one can't even log in because of the user limit, regardless of the cabin type or location.

Sorry but that is just a placebo effect. The speed of closest router (or any router onboard for that matter) doesn't help you as the bottleneck for the entire ship is the same - the satellite link. Even if the Wi-Fi worked on the lowest possible speed the devices can negotiate between each other (available since late 90's), in most cases even that wouldn't be a bottleneck for a single user onboard - and the current Wi-Fi connection speeds are usually 54 to 300 times that.

I've used internet on all my cruises, both in regular staterooms and suites and there is no difference - if there are a lot of concurrent users, the internet is slow and sometimes one can't even log in because of the user limit, regardless of the cabin type or location.

100% correct, unless your connection to the router is so weak that it is affecting your connection speed. Perhaps that's what this person noticed.

But, yeah, it's the satellite where almost all of the slowness occurs.

Question: Can someone explain how you get bonus minutes for being a Latitudes member? Isn't everyone automatically a Latitidues member on their first cruise? Everyone in my party was assigned Latitudes numbers, even though we havent cruised with NCL yet.

100% correct, unless your connection to the router is so weak that it is affecting your connection speed. Perhaps that's what this person noticed.

As I said, lowest possible negotiable Wi-Fi speed (fallback) according to the protocol is 1Mbit/s and even that usually won't be the bottleneck for a single user when using a shared satellite connection for uplink.

Edited by Demonyte

As I said, lowest possible negotiable Wi-Fi speed (fallback) according to the protocol is 1Mbit/s and even that usually won't be the bottleneck for a single user when using a shared satellite connection for uplink.

I think we totally agree here. I was more referring to a really poor connection that is basically dropping in and out, as sometimes occurs when a device is barely within range of a router.

I am 100% on board with your assertion that multiple people on a ship's router would never be the bottleneck when the satellite's connection is so slow, so therefore even your own personal router wouldn't help any.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got off Oasis of the Seas and they just started offering an unlimited internet package for $179 for the entire 7 days and you stay connected 24/7. Being a diamond member you get 20% off that cost. I did it and it was great with the iPad and iPhone iMessage worked great along with Skype. I was not able to place a facetime call but was able to use TeamViewer to take care of some stuff at work.

I will be on the Getaway in a little over a month and was hoping with it being a much newer ship they would offer something similar.