Cruise Insurance, not from Carnival question

Katoo

I insure my cruise, but not through Carnival. When I initially got the insurance I filled in the total price of cruise, and at this point the cost has dropped $200. Do I need to inform the insurance company?

Edited by Katoo

I wouldn't worry about it. The insurance company is going to pay you up to the insured amount if you have to cancel for a covered reason. If the premium is less, they are not going to issue you a credit for that.

True. Insurance is in $500 increments - ie. $500 - $999; $1000 - $1500; etc. So unless it goes down by a big amount nothing will change.

Say the cost of the cruise is $2010. Yes, that puts the OP in the $2001 - $2500 trip cost bracket and that's the premium that will be charged.

If the cruise cost goes down by $10 this will drop the insured into the next lowest premium bracket. So you can see it doesn't have to be a "big" amount to make a difference.

The OP should figure out how much should be insured with the fare drop. If it's enough to make a difference in the premium that's great -- call the insurer and ask for a refund of the premium difference. Note that some insurers will ask for a faxed copy of the original booking confirmation and the new one showing the price drop.