Looking for some tips

VancouverKory

Hello all,

My girlfriend and I will be cruising on the Breeze in just two weeks!!

We have a plan for every port day but we have some questions about St Thomas I figured I would post here as this board is way more active.. We would really like to go to Magen's bay for the day.. We have done some research online and it seems that just taking a cab may be the best way as you can then choose how long you spend there.

So I would like to ask all of you seasoned cruisers what have your experiences been like?! We are looking at the $35 carnival excursion there but 2 hours just does not seem long enough.. We are both in our mid 20s and would you think it is safe to just take a cab just the two of us? or Maybe pair up with another couple headed the same way?

I have been to st Thomas once but I was young and with my family. We have only been on a few trips together as adults so we are rookies! so Any tips or experiences would be much appreciated!

thanks all! :)

Kory

We did the mini power boats and honeymoon beach, it was only a few hours, then went to SkyPoint (not sure of the name) and had bushwhackers and took a cab back to the ship. We felt it was a good mixture of excursion and doing our own thing.

I think if you want to got to Magen's bay, you will have no problem with getting cabs.

The cabs are more of an open air safari type bus with bench type seating. The two of you can walk to the cab area...tell a driver where you want to go and they will point out which cab you should be getting in....along with 15-20 other people. Very safe...great beach...food and drink available.

Thank you everyone for the great ideas and information, We really appreciate it!

The open air safari bus type ride just sounds perfect and exactly what I am looking for

We will without a doubt make sure we are back in time that's probably my biggest fear, I don't want to miss the ship!

The roll call is a great idea as well, I will check that out!

thanks! :D

When you get off the ship you will walk through the shopping area--follow the taxi signs--and you will board the open air taxi. You will be asked where you want to go and they will direct you to a taxi going to Megan's Bay. You may have to wait a few minutes for enough people to fill the taxi. When you get to Megan's Bay there are taxis back to port about every 15 minutes. They let you off at the beach about 20 yards from the beach. When you get back to the port you have to walk through the shopping area. I think it is $16 pp round trip plus the $4 pp entry fee to Megan's Bay.

The taxi drivers know what time the ships are leaving, and they are there waiting to take people back. Some will even approach you on the beach if it's getting late.

Magens has z great nature trail if you want to do some hiking with your beach stay. You can ask at the gate where the trail starts.

Also keep in mind that you can rent non motorized water toys like kayaks, paddle boards, etc if you want an active beach day.

Yes just board a taxi heading there, the port coordinator can assist you with that too. Taxi is the main mode of transport on STT.

Magens is a very popular and nice beach with dead calm water and is maintained and charges an admission fee and because it is highly-rated it gets very crowded even away from the concession area. The East End beaches are also very popular, especially if you want to snorkel or enjoy nice island views and have better food and drink options.

For example Coki is a gorgeous beach with a fun, lively vibe and easy snorkeling it will also be a bit crowded being such a small bay but younger people enjoy the vibe there. Sapphire is a gorgeous beach with abundant natural shade in a larger bay with a condo resort, excellent snorkeling, usually not that crowded, and a couple food options and nice island views. Here's a webcam for Sapphire if interested in comparing it -

http://www.sapphireinthesun.com

Just to give you a few options to compare for the experience you want, this map gives you an idea where the beaches are. Since you are docked at Havensight the taxi fare to Magens and the East End beaches would be similar.

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/images/st-thomas-island-road-map.html

Have a great cruise and enjoy whatever beach you choose!

Edited by blue_water

I would also consider stopping at Paradise Point after the beach and before returning to the ship. The aerial team is a short walk from your dock, or you can have the driver take you up and take the tram down. Nice view of the harbor and a fun spot to enjoy a cold drink or a Bailey's Bushwacker. Nice way to end the day!

I knew asking all of you would be my best plan!! :D Thank you all so much!

I am now ready to go!! 10 days until I fly out as of this morning and just trying to get through the next 8 days of work!

I am so excited to explore the Caribbean and with all of your help we are ready!

Thanks all

Kory and Katie :)