Norwegian Pearl vs RCI Explorer of the Seas

soccermom123

Trying to decide between these two ships for a southern Caribbean cruise in November 2014. Anyone have insight into the differences. Looking at an aft penthouse suit on the pearl. Have traveled exclusively so far on royal Caribbean.

I can't give you a comparison between the two ships since I haven't been on either yet but those aft penthouses are really nice, and, if you can get one on Deck 10, the balcony is deeper. We've had them on the Gem and the Jewel and the ones on the Pearl will be almost identical.

The Pearl has been chartered in early Nov the last couple of years. Not sure if next falls charter dates have been set yet.

I've been on both and it comes down to what you prefer. I liked the promenade on the Explorer and the coke machines. The Pearl is brighter and more modern. Pearl showers are much better.

Biggest difference right off the bat: Pearl carries 2,394 passengers, Explorer carries 3,114 (3,835 according to some websites). Of course, that also means the Explorer at 138,000 tons, is much larger than the Pearl at 93,000 tons.

Having sailed the Pearl many times, we're biased because it's one of our favorite NCL ships. But we also prefer smaller ships, and fewer passengers, and for that reason alone, would take the Pearl over the Explorer.

We're also big fans of the "suite life" on NCL, and have always felt it was much better than the perks we received from our suite on Freedom.

I think in the end it comes down to what you like from a cruise. For instance, the Pearl does not have a wave rider, zip line, or rock climbing wall on the ship. I'm sure Explorer has all those things and more. So, if you want lots of dining choices, plenty of organized activities and lots of different activity spaces, take the larger ship. If you prefer a slower pace (not that there aren't plenty of organized activities on a smaller ship), take the smaller ship.

Or, look at it this way: You've done Royal Caribbean, so why not try NCL? Make your own decision after the cruise.

Biggest difference right off the bat: Pearl carries 2,394 passengers, Explorer carries 3,114 (3,835 according to some websites). Of course, that also means the Explorer at 138,000 tons, is much larger than the Pearl at 93,000 tons.

Having sailed the Pearl many times, we're biased because it's one of our favorite NCL ships. But we also prefer smaller ships, and fewer passengers, and for that reason alone, would take the Pearl over the Explorer.

We're also big fans of the "suite life" on NCL, and have always felt it was much better than the perks we received from our suite on Freedom.

I think in the end it comes down to what you like from a cruise. For instance, the Pearl does not have a wave rider, zip line, or rock climbing wall on the ship. I'm sure Explorer has all those things and more. So, if you want lots of dining choices, plenty of organized activities and lots of different activity spaces, take the larger ship. If you prefer a slower pace (not that there aren't plenty of organized activities on a smaller ship), take the smaller ship.

Or, look at it this way: You've done Royal Caribbean, so why not try NCL? Make your own decision after the cruise.

I say the Pearl hands down. I have sailed both and I will tell you the Explorer is not all that. It does not have wave rider or zip line. The restaurants are mediocre. The entertainment was just OK. The staterooms have seen their better days. The specialty restaurants in the Pearl were great!! The entertainment was good too.

Being an older RCCL ship, it's true that the Explorer does NOT have the more modern updates. I would equate it to a more "traditional" cruise ship. It reminded me of some of the Princess Ships I've sailed on.

The Pearl is set up for freestyle, but doesn't have quite as many bells and whistles as the newest NCL ships.

I'd look at video or photo tours and some daily scheduled to see which one is a better fit for you.

My input is the biggest thing I noticed between the 2 cruiselines

If you are used to traditional dining on RCL you might not like NCL

If you already do MTD than freestyle isn't much different

The Explorer 9 day cruise that goes to the ABC's is a cruise Im looking at

Edited by jonbgd