Great Stirrup Cay - Small Cabana info - coming soon

limeyalchemist

Sitting aboard the Breakaway as we speak in NY harbor waiting to disembark. But the good news is that we made it to GSC on Wednesday. Unlike the last three weeks, the weather was picture perfect.

Prior to our trip there were a number of people wanting to know more about the small cabanas which are brand new.

Later today I will post photos and more detailed information about these cabanas. They are wonderful. Much closer to the beach than the small cabanas, include $50 food and beverage credit and a beat way to get out of the sun.

The other new info is that there is now a tram service to the cabanas and back from the tender dock. I had not heard about this before, and since it is a long walk, a great addition if you are carrying a lot, as we were.

So look for more info soon, when I get home, unpacked and downloaded.

Sitting aboard the Breakaway as we speak in NY harbor waiting to disembark. But the good news is that we made it to GSC on Wednesday. Unlike the last three weeks, the weather was picture perfect.

Prior to our trip there were a number of people wanting to know more about the small cabanas which are brand new.

Later today I will post photos and more detailed information about these cabanas. They are wonderful. Much closer to the beach than the small cabanas, include $50 food and beverage credit and a beat way to get out of the sun.

The other new info is that there is now a tram service to the cabanas and back from the tender dock. I had not heard about this before, and since it is a long walk, a great addition if you are carrying a lot, as we were.

Looking forward to small cabana info. Glad you had a great cruise!

I was just looking at MyNCL this morning and noticed that they have small cabanas for $299 and am considering one because we don't need the $50 voucher but would like to know where they are relative to everything else (the website says they are on Fiesta Beach but I can't find a map of GSC that has the beach names on it).

Ok, so I have created a short video that is on youtube showing our visit to the small cabanas. It shows ours in particular, but pans to show the rest and the beach that is in front of them. A beautiful spot and much quieter than the main beaches.

Here is the link to the video:

Also in the video is a shot of the lagoon that NCL has built which has very calm water as it is only indirectly connected to the ocean and the Boblink buffet and bar. This is a shirt 2-3 min walk from the cabanas and is much quieter and much shorter lines for food than the main eating location.

The video and photos were taken while there Nov 20 2013 on the Breakaway. Picture perfect weather.

94bfb9dce38c4dfa4fdef87569e78177_zpscfe04d58.jpg

595c941db43433e37072fb24ee5cbe0f_zps042bc2a4.jpg

8514511834c78d2591ab488b6c408d73_zps3de6e66d.jpg

Edited by limeyalchemist

Ok, so I have created a short video that is on youtube showing our visit to the small cabanas. It shows ours in particular, but pans to show the rest and the beach that is in front of them. A beautiful spot and much quieter than the main beaches.

Also in the video is a shot of the lagoon that NCL has built which has very calm water as it is only indirectly connected to the ocean and the Boblink buffet and bar. This is a shirt 2-3 min walk from the cabanas and is much quieter and much shorter lines for food than the main eating location.

Thanks very much for the video. It's great to see what they've done. I was so disappointed on the 11/10 sailing to have missed GSC since we were all looking forward to the small cabana that we had rented. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

The video and photos were taken while there Nov 20 2013 on the Breakaway. Picture perfect weather.

Thank you for this! We are sailing 12/15, got the small cabana, am praying we stop at GSC. Your pics are beautiful.

Quick question, is the tram only for those who are renting cabanas or may anyone ride it?

Quick question, is the tram only for those who are renting cabanas or may anyone ride it?

I think most people don't know about the team as it's directed to those who rent cabanas, but I would think anyone can ride it. I know that is true because some of our party rode back on the tram back to the tender and didn't have wristbands.

Hi-I do have a quick question. I am going with my grand kids - how far are the small cabanas from the hippo slide, if you know. Thank you!

It's quite a ways. I would say a few hundred yards or 10 mins walk maybe. It would be best to take the tram back to the tender dock which is near the slide.

They run every 20 mins.

Edited by limeyalchemist

So a few more things to share that I just remembered.

We were worried about having a large group in a small cabana as it maxes out at 4 plus two more if you pay $26 pp.

Do NOT worry about this at all. When I checked in at the snorkel center I asked how many people and they said whatever you want is fine. They also gave us extra wristbands for free.

I'm sure NCL won't approve of that, but it's easy to get as many as 10 in the cabana, just a bit tight. There are four loungers and four chairs.

The walk from the furthest cabana to the Bobolink buffet and lagoon is about 5 mins. Much quieter than the main buffet.

There are four electrical outlets also if you bring chargers or Bluetooth speaker as we did for some music. One outlet is taken up by the fridge.

We brought lots of food back to the cabana from the buffet to eat it there.

The lagoon is beautiful. The water is warmer than the sea but cloudier. The sand is very unique. Like walking on wet powder. It gets very deep a short way from the shore and there is a small island in the center if rock.

Edited by limeyalchemist

And another thing...

NCL gave me a $50 credit on my account, labeled $50 credit for GSC on my invoice. I turned in the drink order. We ordered $49.50 worth of Corona. For that you get 12 bottles delivered. The drinks turned up fine after we were there about two hours.

So not sure what happened, but got $50 worth of beer, and was credited $50 on my account, even though I pre-paid. The bummer is that on the last day, the invoice said $50 unused GSC credit. So it appears that I did not get $50 free. Never did find out how I. Could have used the unused $50 credit. I bought gifts, photos and duty free on board. And it never got charged, despite what the guest services told me.

In the end I chalked it up to a clerical error on the beer, which is fine. But if anyone has any advice on whether I should call NCL let me know.

We rented a small one for our visit Dec 17 - did you find it worth the money?

Thank you so much for your information!

We have the large cabana booked (for 2 of us!!) next July. How do you rate the small vs. large as far as room/location (especially with regard to proximity to food and how the beaches are )? I'm seriously thinking about changing to a small cabana but I want to be more certain about that choice. The cost for a small cabana is the same as what I paid for the large cabana way back when.

Any thoughts? Thanks again and I'm glad you had a great time! :)