Eastern Med with 84 year old Dad--how much is too much

Mom2008

I have planned multi generational trips like this too and I know how much planning worry and stress goes into making it a smooth trip for everyone on the back of your hard work, just remember to savour the moments too. With luck it will look like it all" just happened" on the vacation when in reality we know different;) I have been on Epic its a great ship with plenty for everyone have great times with your Dad

Hi Mom2008,

Nearly time to go, you must be frantically packing.

Only store bought pre packaged food through security. Your dad can get a sandwich, fruit, and snacks once through security at Winnipeg Airport. I am quite sure the USA have the security check at Winnipeg (just like they do at Vancouver).

Is it the Quick Shuttle you are taking? That is the one I have used, they were nice and friendly, and the buses were quite new with comfortable seats.

I think I have followed you on this journey because you sound like such a good family and I have found your dad quite interesting.

Go have fun,

Cheers, h.

We are taking the Bolt Bus, only $22pp Vancouver to Seattle. I've talked to others who have tried it. Comes with WiFi so that's good, but I'm having the kids compile a list of non-electronic games they can play so the three of them can play together. They'll all have their earphones too so they can watch movies on the plane.

Thanks for the info about food through security. Is that a customs thing or just a security thing, because when we leave from Miami, we are all going through Detroit, then splitting up (dh and kids to Vancouver, Dad and I to Wpg) so won't be doing customs until later.

My Dad's stories make for some very interesting reading, I'll keep you posted. He started talking about the Mayans, and how advanced they were, and how the Spaniards treated them etc. etc. I keep calling him every few days to give him updates, and he's like a kid, he's sooo excited, and he thanks me for all the work I am putting into this. And the kids too, all say, "We'll do whatever you plan for us, no expectations, as long as we're together and on a CRUISE!!! that's all that matters." That this ship has water slides, a tube slide, climbing wall and swimming pools, that's bonus enough for them, their eyes bugged out when they watched the video of people going down the tube slide. And they remember the chocolate fountain one night, the fancy desserts, all the food. We live on a very tight budget, few extras, so every night is plain food, whole food nicely cooked, but not very fancy, and not very much, so for them, the abundance availalbe on a cruise is what makes it special for them. Me too.

And thank you Winifred, the Epic sounds like a great ship.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update. I got back home about a week ago. I kept a journal, and have many photos of our trip. In retrospect, it was a very memorable and enjoyable vacation. Getting some sun at this time of year really made a difference, made us all happier.

There were many, many glitches along the way, but I chose to focus on and remember the wonderful experiences. We all talk about how we want to remember the good, and there was a lot of good. Nothing was really horrible, but just some less than stellar glitches.

There were many good memories on the cruise. We went to the free full-service restaurants for almost every meal, experienced some very high quality entertainment (Blue Man Group, Legends in Concert, Second City Comedy). We are very glad we had balcony cabins (we are home bodies and actually spent a fair amount of time hanging out in our cabins or on our balconies), the kids enjoyed the slides and the dances, and we did a LOT of walking.

The ports were great. In Jamaica, the kids jumped off a rope swing into a river, then climbed through a waterfall. In Costa Maya, we took a cab to Mahahual and hung out on the beach where we tanned and drank sweet drinks out of coconuts while we sat under coconut trees, then swam in the turquoise water and got VERY tanned (ahem burned in my case). And the very special part was that all six of us, including my Dad, were able to take part in a Mayan sweat lodge ceremony in Cozumel. The Temazcal was wonderful, and my Dad was able to do most of the sweat lodge, it was only because his legs were cramping that he had to come out after the third door. Petrus was a very good guide through the ceremony.

We finished off with a day at the Hilton South Beach, which we were able to buy on Air Miles, a huge two bedroom apartment.

We all made it home in one piece, with many wonderful memories to keep us warm for the rest of the cold season, and some great pictures to keep the memories alive.

At some point I may write up a comprehensive review, but for now, just wanted to let you all know we travelled, we had fun, we are all grateful for the wonderful gift my Dad has given us, and we are home, contented and safe.

Thanks for the update! I'm glad you ended up with a lot of wonderful memories and that your Dad was able to enjoy it all.

Yes, glitches happen (mostly the airlines :mad:). DH is also a pickpocket magnet and he's not allowed to carry any substantial amount of money! As you said, it's important to focus on the positive and use any lessons learned from the glitches to make your next trip a little smoother.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know when I'll get a chance to write a full write-up of our family's cruise, but it will come, and I will post it, or the link, here.

My father-in-law, the one who took us on our first two cruises to Alaska and the Mexican Riviera, died on Saturday. He had just come back from a trip to Mexico with my mother-in law, to their time-share. He had been ill for some time, hence the two cruises when he thought he was dying, but he was living on borrowed time. He was living life to the fullest, but he had been declining for a few months, even though he didn't let on. He went into hospital on April 7 and died on the 19th. He was only 76, younger than my Dad. We are all devastated.

When they got back from our cruise, my husband and kids got to visit his (my FIL's) mother, who turned 98 on March 26; I was still in Winnipeg with my Dad. So they all got to have a great visit, the kids told Grandpa they loved him when they said goodbye, like they always did, never realizing it would be the last time they would do so, and that they wouldn't see him again, he didn't want them to see him in the hospital.

Just a reminder to embrace life, appreciate every moment, you never know which will be your last.

Mom2008,

I am sorry to hear about your father-in-law and even sorrier that you didn't get a chance to say goodbye in person.

He too sounds like a guy who knew how to live life and enjoyed it to the end.

It is nice that the grandchildren got to see him one last time; I always think it can help with closure.

I hope you got your dad settled in at home OK, and he won't be too lonely without all the buzz of the ship, trips, and family.

I look forward to a review from you, but please don't feel that you have to write a book. I will enjoy just the highlights.

Cheers, h.