Holiday Cruse vs. Regular Cruise

Shermcruiser

Not much extra. A small gift, better tote bag, a couple of glasses of sparkling wine.

Mostly the price is just a reflection of supply and demand.

Those are popular times to cruise, so they can charge more.

For unpopular times they have to lower the prices in order to fill the ship

What do you receive on a Holiday cruise that you don't receive the week before. Holiday are about twice the price.

It comes down to the ability to sail when business slows [lots of people using up vacation], schools are on holiday, and demand is high...

The little things that they may/may not do--like a festive dinner or a bit of holiday celebrating [ie; for kids at Christmas, for adults on New Year's Eve]--don't, in my opinion, come close to justifying the cost differential...

What do you receive on a Holiday cruise that you don't receive the week before.

Holiday are about twice the price.

way more kids/large family groups.

Lots more crowding in major public spaces.

longer waits for room service.

maybe a 'special' menu on the holiday itself.

Honestly, I will not do another holiday cruise and we even managed to get the same cabin for about the same price.

The decorations--garlands, wreaths, gingerbread display, etc.--are very nice. Other than that, the biggest benefit for us is that my husband gets Christmas week off from work and the days spent on a holiday cruise don't count against his vacation days allotment for the year. It's a "freebie" of sorts for us. Once he's retired, though, we won't cruise Christmas week. You are right about paying a premium for that time slot.

Has anyone experienced the same issues, kids and crowds on the 14 day holiday cruise or are most of the comments from 7 day cruise.

Thanks

We were on the Equinox 10 night Xmas cruise last year and while the ship was full and there were not surprisingly more than the usual number of kids on board, neither impacted our enjoyment of the cruise. The kids we saw were all very well behaved. I would go so far as to say that given that it was Christmas, their being there even enhanced the experience. Honestly, it was lovely.

We did a 10 day Xmas cruise on NCL last year and we recently booked a 14 day Xmas cruise on Eclipse.

We booked both cruises (balcony cabins) at a very attractive rate-attractive even if it was not a holiday season. And in both instances we had a choice of at least two ships/cruise lines that we offering good fares inside of the cancellation window.

So if your circumstances permit you to 'wait' it out, an Xmas cruise can be quite reasonable. But check air prior to booking!

Has anyone experienced the same issues, kids and crowds on the 14 day holiday cruise or are most of the comments from 7 day cruise.

Thanks

We did the 14 night Christmas cruise last year. The bolded portion below states it exactly how we would:

We were on the Equinox 10 night Xmas cruise last year and while the ship was full and there were not surprisingly more than the usual number of kids on board, neither impacted our enjoyment of the cruise. The kids we saw were all very well behaved. I would go so far as to say that given that it was Christmas, their being there even enhanced the experience. Honestly, it was lovely.

Holiday cruise Chanukah and Christmas, Thanks giving.. to see the kids enjoy.

Never received gifts extra's etc, cause it's a holiday but of upgraded concierge classes. higher prices or discounts, that is between you and the agent you booked with.

the gifts are included in the price you agreed apon, you can keep the tote bag, wine etc...

my opinion:p