First Time Cruiser Questions

My boyfriend and I are going on The Majesty of the Seas 4 night Bahamas cruise leaving from Miami on Sept 5. We are both first time cruises and this is even our first vacation together so I want to ensure everything is perfect but I have fifty million questions first...

1. Even though we have the early assigned seatings does that mean we can only eat there at that time and not at the Windjammer Cafe whenever we want?

2. Should I buy the shore excursions ahead of time or wait to haggle w/the islanders but take the chance that everything might be sold out?

3. Has anyone ever stayed in Deck 3 room 3080? I was wondering b/c its in front of the elevators will there be a lot of noise from the outside?

4. Our room is also in the middle of ship, is that a good thing or bad thing?

5. We purchased a oceanview stateroom guarantee, from the reviews I have read so far, several people state that the room is even smaller than what they show in pictures and other people say that its a decent size room, which one is it?

6. One review I read said to forget any ideas about 2 people in the shower is that true? Is the bathroom that small?

7. Even if you bring your own snorkel equipment, do you still have to pay the excursion fee to go w/the RCI group?

8. If you purchase a shore excursion with RCI and due to weather we never dock at that port will they refund you?

9. When waiting for your color to be called in debarting, if youre still eating your breakfast do you have to get up and leave right away or can you finish your breakfast and go after even though they already called another color?

10. If your room doesn't come with a safe do you think it's safe to leave your passport, credit card, or personal info in your room just to go to the pool?

11. If you already give tips to the staff in cash throughout the trip do you still have to give the mandatory gratuity when you leave?

12. Do cell phones work on the ship?

13. From the 50 million reviews I read about the Atlantis Resort, I'm confused to as if you purchase the tour with RCI is it the same thing as getting their on your own or do they include food or activities w/the tour?

14. Also from reviews, I noticed the elevators were really slow, with us staying on Deck 3, to get to lets say Deck 11 are the stairs really going to be a b*tch to go up or are people overexaggerating about the elevators?

15. Do all rooms come with refigerators?

I'm really sorry guys for my 40 gazillion questions but I just want to ensure there will no hidden suprises and that I will be receiving my money's worth. If anyone has the time or inclination to answer my questions I would greatly appreciate it. I'm sure I probably have more questions but can't think of anymore at the moment.

Also, I hear there's the friend coupon so if anyone PLEASE has one to spare PLEASE feel free to pass it along this way. My trip is from Sept 5-Sept 9 2005 so if you have those dates. For any good tips or heads up that you can pass along would be also greatly appreciated.

Email is mzplatinum24@hotmail.com

Patricia

I'll take a stab at some of these......

1. Even though we have the early assigned seatings does that mean we can only eat there at that time and not at the Windjammer Cafe whenever we want?

You can eat in the main dining room at the assigned early seating, or the Windjammer Cafe. (Or both!) You'll only be precluded from eating in the dining room at the late seating.

2. Should I buy the shore excursions ahead of time or wait to haggle w/the islanders but take the chance that everything might be sold out?

Do some research in the forums. If you think that you definitely want an RCI excursion, book it as soon as possible because they can sell out.

5. We purchased a oceanview stateroom guarantee, from the reviews I have read so far, several people state that the room is even smaller than what they show in pictures and other people say that its a decent size room, which one is it?

Both. The rooms are tiny compared to a hotel room. The main difference is they've subtracted all of the "wasted space" that exists in a hotel room.

6. One review I read said to forget any ideas about 2 people in the shower is that true? Is the bathroom that small?

The bathrooms are tiny, and the showers are even smaller.

7. Even if you bring your own snorkel equipment, do you still have to pay the excursion fee to go w/the RCI group?

Yes.

8. If you purchase a shore excursion with RCI and due to weather we never dock at that port will they refund you?

Sort of, which is somewhat maddening. They'll give you a credit against your room account but won't actually refund the excursion to your credit card. If you plan on hitting the bars, buying souevniers, etc then it won't matter in the end.

9. When waiting for your color to be called in debarting, if youre still eating your breakfast do you have to get up and leave right away or can you finish your breakfast and go after even though they already called another color?

You can wait.

13. From the 50 million reviews I read about the Atlantis Resort, I'm confused to as if you purchase the tour with RCI is it the same thing as getting their on your own or do they include food or activities w/the tour?

I would recommend the tour. It depends on how crowded the resort is - if you go by yourself, you might not even get into the lobby as they will be checking for wristbands. My wife and I wandered around the resort for 4 hours and even made it to the waterpark without having to prove we were guests - other people have had different experiences.

14. Also from reviews, I noticed the elevators were really slow, with us staying on Deck 3, to get to lets say Deck 11 are the stairs really going to be a b*tch to go up or are people overexaggerating about the elevators?

I would say it's all a matter of personal comfort and physical fitness. My wife and I are both marathon runners, so climbing the steps was never an issue for us. We've only been on Voyager-class ships, however, and have never had to wait long for an elevator when we wanted one.

Hi Patricia, welcome to the world of cruising. You are in for a lot of fun,and be prepared to get hooked. Cruising is the best vacation in the world. Now for your questions.

I'll try to answer them in the order you asked them,if I'm able to.

1. If you eat in the dining room,you will only be able to eat at your assigned time. You are not obligated to go to the dining room,you can eat in the Windjammer anytime you wish.Please do at least try the dining room,it is a nice experience. Your waiter and asst waiter should get the recommended tip,whether you eat there or not. Most of them will work the other eating areas as well,so should still get their hard earned tips.

2. Shore excursion's on your own,are usually cheaper than the ships,but you are definately responsible to get yourselves back to the ship in time,or they will surely leave you,if you didn't book with the ship.

3& 4. Deck 3 in middle of the ship,is the best for having the least amount of rocking.You made a good choice. You should not hear any elevator noise at all,but may hear hall noise,if people run or shout. This doesn't happen much,and in Sept you should have very few kids on board.

5&6. Cabins on RCL are pretty compact,but they utilize all avaliable space for storage. 2 people can be pretty comfortable in a cabin. I'm afraid the shower's are awfully small for 2 people,unless you're both very small size yourselves. Both of you can be in the bathroom at the same time,if one is at the sink and the other is in the shower.

7. You cannot go on a shore excursion thru the ship,without paying the fees involved,with or without your own equipment.

8. If you purchase thru the ship,and they cancel the excursion,they will refund your money.

9. You can disembark later,even if another color has been called.

10. I believe all the cabins have safe's,but if yours doesn't, I suggest locking any of your valuable personal items in a suitcase,which should fit under your bed. No one should bother it there.

11. You don't have to tip throughout the cruise at all,except 15% will automatically be added to any mixed drink you order,anywhere on the ship. Some people tip their cabin steward 10 or 20 on the first day. I have never done this,but just give them a big smile,and be very friendly everytime you see them. If they do extra things for you,you can tip them extra on the last night.

12. Cell phones will work on the ship while you're still docked,but will fade as you get further out to sea.

13.There is no food or special activities on a tour of Atlantis. We went on a ship tour,but after doing so and seeing it,I would definately just tour it on your own.

14. Elevators can be very slow,if they are busy. If not busy,they go just as fast as any other. If you're young and healthy,the stairs aren't all that bad,and are probably good for you too.

15. The Majesty is an older ship,and if I remember correctly,does not have a fridge in the regular rooms. Your attendant will give you ice twice a day. Morning and evening,and you will find some coke products and at least 1 bottle of water in your cabin. If you use them,you will be charged for them on your sea pass. They will be replaced as you use them also.

Special Tips? Buy some Bonnine and take 1 or 2 per day,just in case. Sept will still be hurricane season,and it could get rocky. The Bonnine wll not hurt you,and will keep you from getting queasy.Better safe than sorry.

Relax,enjoy,take a romantic walk on the decks after dark. Be prepared to love cruising,and tell us all about it when you return. :D

My boyfriend and I are going on The Majesty of the Seas 4 night Bahamas cruise leaving from Miami on Sept 5. We are both first time cruises and this is even our first vacation together so I want to ensure everything is perfect but I have fifty million questions first...
First of all, drop this "everything has to be perfect" attitude. It never will be, and you are setting an impossibly high standard that you'll never meet, and you'll be doomed to disappointment. You are going to have a great time. Be happy about that.

If you prefer to eat in the Windjammer, you can eat there at any time while they are open. It is considered good manners to drop by the dining room and let your waiters know that you won't be coming for dinner that night.

Since it's just you and your boyfriend, and it is a first vacation, I say, relax, take it easy. If you find something that you want to do, go for it. I think that you'll have a better time if you don't overplan.

3. Has anyone ever stayed in Deck 3 room 3080? I was wondering b/c its in front of the elevators will there be a lot of noise from the outside?

I haven't cruised on this class of ship yet, so I can't speak from experience here.

4. Our room is also in the middle of ship, is that a good thing or bad thing?

Good - less motion midship.

If you love your boyfriend, there will be plenty of room. :)
YES.

You don't need an excursion if you have your own equipment. Just go to the beach and swim out.

Yes. that's one reason to book the ship's excursions.

9. When waiting for your color to be called in debarkng, if you'e still eating your breakfast do you have to get up and leave right away or can you finish your breakfast and go after even though they already called another color?

it's safe to finish your food. Chew thoroughly and enjoy.

10. If your room doesn't come with a safe do you think it's safe to leave your passport, credit card, or personal info in your room just to go to the pool?

Everyone does.

11. If you already give tips to the staff in cash throughout the trip do you still have to give the mandatory gratuity when you leave?

The usual thing is to tip at the end, not throughout. Follow the RCI guidelines and you'll be fine. But tip bartenders as you go - particularly on the first day. Works magic.

12. Do cell phones work on the ship?

Depends on the ship and the itinerary. For the most part, no.

Unless you are rich, skip the Atlantis tour. If you really, really, really want to experience the Atlantis, book a room at the Comfort Suites across the street. You get wristbands that give you access to spend the day at Atlantis, for the cost of the room plus taxi fare over and back.
They are slow sometimes, but stair climbing is GREAT for the leg muscles. :)

15. Do all rooms come with refrigerators?
Not all.

I'm really sorry guys for my 40 gazillion questions but I just want to ensure there will no hidden surprises and that I will be receiving my money's worth. If anyone has the time or inclination to answer my questions I would greatly appreciate it. I'm sure I probably have more questions but can't think of anymore at the moment.

It's perfectly natural. No need to apologize. That's what we're here for. :)

Wow.... you sure do have many questions... but like i always tell people.... the only dumb question is the question you didnt ask.

anyway.. here goes...

1) early seating is only for your dinner meal... however, should you choose to go to the windjammer instead of the dining room, you may. Or, should you feel the need to go to the windjammer after your dinner in the dining room, you may. Otherwise, feel free to eat in the dining room anytime during the open breakfast and lunch times ( the times will be on your daily compass given to you on the ship)

2) read the ports of call boards to find independant operators. Then, you can make arrangements via email with these venders before you arrive. Waiting til you arrive, will most likely leave you with little choice ( and maybe not the best of the venders around). As far as buying the shore excursions from the ship... check them out and again check the private venders to see if there is a better deal out there for you.

3) dont know...

4) I personally like mid ship. I find it to be convenient for getting around and getting back to the cabin.

5) the cabin will be slightly on the smaller end... but yet very efficient use of space. there is plenty of storage space.. under the beds, closets and drawers. Will you have lots of room to dance around in...no... will there be enough room to have a great time... yes!!!!

6) 2 people in the shower... better soap up your back ends and the walls..... there is hardly enough room in the whole bathroom for 2 people much less in the shower together. But if you really need to... then watch out for the shower curtain ( not sure if your ship has the curtains or the doors.... and if you do have the doors... then for sure leave the shower door open!!!!!!!!!!

7) yes... you must pay the excursion fee for any excursion you attend. if you want to just go snorkeling on your own.. do so.. but you must get your own transportation to the beach. sometimes the excursions offer more than just the activity... such as a drive through the country... food and or beverages... just have to look at the package as a whole and decide what is best for you.

8) yes, you are refunded for any excursions that are cancelled for any reason. sometimes you are able to dock at the island.. but due to waves or whatnot.. water excursions must be cancelled. We were given a half refund on a snorkel excursion when we had to go to a different dive site that was now where near as nice... or as plentiful with marine life.

9) the color system is mostly to ensure that your bags are waiting for you when you get to the bagage claim. If you go too early... your bags will not be there yet... if you go a bit later... your bags will just be waiting for you. No need to jump when they call your color ( just watch the time incase you need to be at the airport for a flight!!!)

10) leaving your personal items is a personal thing. I feel, that as long as you put them away in a drawer or keep in one of your suitcases under the bed.. that they are fine. I would NOT leave anything out in plain site. I do trust the stateroom attendents... but they will sometimes prop your door open when cleanig and refilling towels and such. Just use common sense.

11) yes, you will need to leave your tips at the end of your cruise. You will need to tip your dining room staff at the end of the week and your stateroom attendent. The only tips that you would really be paying out through out the week would be bar tips and any extra funds you feel you need to give out... but dont feel you have to slip extra 20's for good service... you will receive great service with giving tips at the end.

12) umm no.. unless you have a cell company that has cell towers out in the middle of the ocean. Our sprint phones worked for about an hour out of miami. On the islands you may have service.. but watch out for roaming fees.

13) dont know about atlantis

14) elevators are busy at main times... like just before sail aways ... when all the last people are boarding the ship, at dinner times with everyone going to dinner ( but the dining rooms are low.. so you will be able to do the stairs there no problem) Just have some patience and maybe a little sense to go to a different part of the ship to a different set of elevators.

15) not sure about your ship and fridges.. have always had them on the voyager class ships... although the last one didnt work worth a darn.... but we had our own colapsable cooler that the stateroom attendent filled with ice twice daily.

Most important... go and have a great time. dont worry about the small things... enjoy the smallest of things... like the nightly chocolate on your turned down bed!!!!!!

Wow, you've got some great answers here. Have done this ship/route twice, it's where hubby & I first fell in love with cruising. She's an older but great ship. And the waiters we had this last Oct. were the best of any of our previous cruises.

SIL did the "discover Atlantis" excursion. Depending on the time of year/specific date the Comfort Suites may or may not be cheaper. In our case the comfort suites was about $50 more than RCCl's rate for 2 adults and a child. I do seem to recall that as a RCCL guest you will not have access to all of Atlantis' pools.

oh and one more hint you may or may not want to pass by your boyfriend....

My first cruise with then boyfriend turned into my first cruise with new fiance'. Diamonds purchased on the islands are duty free... meaning NO tax!!!! Go to a quality store... one endorsed by the cruise ship... go to the ship shopping talk before first stop and you will know which shops to go to.

We are now married 8 years and booking our 5th cruise!!!!!!! ( took a few years off from cruising til son was old enough to travel and enjoy with us!!!)

Thanks everyone, your answers have been so helpful. Especially about the diamonds *wink*...I realized I have one more, what do you usually bring w/you, cash, credit cards, or travelers check? When in the island do you pay US dollars or do you exchange money?

Thank you once again for so much helpful and appreciated information!

In the Bahamas you can use your credit card, or they are happy to take your American cash. The nice thing about RCI is that you can walk into the casino and ask for cash on your account. They don't watch you to see if you really gamble with it. They just give you cash, put it on your SeaPass account, and you settle up with your credit card at the end of the cruise. If you have a card that gives you points or goodies, you earn them. Win-win-win.

Carol

Archived