Cabins above Schooner Bar

Hello! We are booked for VOS Thanksgiving 2014. This is the first time in a very long time we are sailing on a smaller ship. The past few ships have been on Oasis, Allure, Freedom, etc. These ships are much bigger than the Vision class, hence better balcony locations.

On VOS, balcony cabins are on deck 7. Our cabins are above the Schooner Bar. ..cabins 7612-7618. Has anyone had experience with a cabin above the Schooner Bar? I am a very light sleeper....is it super noisy?

We were in cabin 7602 on the Grandeur of the Seas in August 2013. We were above the Schooner bar and could not hear the music in our cabin. We could hear the music when we were on our balcony but it was not a problem. The Grandeur is a sister ship of Vision of the Seas so I would expect the sound levels to be similar.

We were in cabin 7602 on the Grandeur of the Seas in August 2013. We were above the Schooner bar and could not hear the music in our cabin. We could hear the music when we were on our balcony but it was not a problem. The Grandeur is a sister ship of Vision of the Seas so I would expect the sound levels to be similar.

I assume you sailed after the retrofit? I was on a princess ship once and was above the lounge and got barely any sleep.

I assume you sailed after the retrofit? I was on a princess ship once and was above the lounge and got barely any sleep.

We sailed after the retrofit on the Grandeur. Our cabin was over the area where you first enter the Schooner bar. The piano was under the cabins that were farther aft. I would try a cabin on the opposite (port) side of the ship that is not over the Schooner bar.

Our cabin on Enchantment one year was directly over the entrance to the Schooner Bar and it never bothered us.

Thanks for the response. Your response is similar to GiannaD....she was also at the entrance. I am leaning to either changing cabins (but there are 4 of them) or pick a different cruise. I don't undrestand how I am paying a premium (balcony) for cabins over the main thoroughfare. :-)

Thanks for the response. Your response is similar to GiannaD....she was also at the entrance. I am leaning to either changing cabins (but there are 4 of them) or pick a different cruise. I don't undrestand how I am paying a premium (balcony) for cabins over the main thoroughfare. :-)

Book a GS and you are directly below pool deck and WJ - it can get very noisy, and you pay a premium for that privilege :).

Book a GS and you are directly below pool deck and WJ - it can get very noisy, and you pay a premium for that privilege :).

LOL!!! I had actually thought about booking that and saw they are on deck 8 below the WJ and pool!

Edited by jen70

LOL!!! I had actually thought about booking that and saw they are on deck 8 below the WJ and pool!

We were in 8514 on Grandeur and it did get a little noisy. We were just below pool deck, the smoking section, so there were chairs moving a lot. I booked much closer and under WJ for next cruise, as it closes at 9pm or thereabouts, so should not be too noisy until early morning. And I don't mind because we get up early anyways... These cabins are super close to everything though, so I would still take them even with a little noise...

We were on the Enchantment in a JS on Deck 8. It was aft in the area below the spa. I thought it would be noisy but it was under the walking track outside the spa and there wasn't any noise from above in the evening and almost none during the day. You definitely do not want to be under the Park Cafe on Deck 8.

They clean the WJ after it closes which means some moving of tables and chairs.

On the Grandeur the cabins over the Schooner bar are only on the starboard side. The D2 cabins in the same location on the port side are over Giovanni's Table and Chops and there is little noise from them.

Very true. We were on the Splendour in June. Booked in a GS and the noise from the WJ area was really bad. Our cabin was under the outdoor WJ seating area. Chairs being drug back and forth along the deck. Never again.

This problem is not unique to Vision class ships....my 27-year-old son's cabin 7642 on the Brilliance last week was over the Schooner Bar and he got zero sleep until the piano player stopped for the night.

Ditto for afternoon naps....they held trivia games in the bar and the noise came up through the floor. This is not heresay.....I was in his cabin from time to time and heard the noise myself. Never again.

Hello! We are booked for VOS Thanksgiving 2014. This is the first time in a very long time we are sailing on a smaller ship. The past few ships have been on Oasis, Allure, Freedom, etc. These ships are much bigger than the Vision class, hence better balcony locations.

On VOS, balcony cabins are on deck 7. Our cabins are above the Schooner Bar. ..cabins 7612-7618. Has anyone had experience with a cabin above the Schooner Bar? I am a very light sleeper....is it super noisy?

If you are a light sleeper, NEVER BOOK A CABIN ABOVE, NOR BELOW, A PUBLIC AREA, such as a bar, lounge, dining venue, pool, etc. ALWAYS make sure your cabin has other cabins above & below you..I am a VERY LIGHT SLEEPER ( like I hear our cats walking on the carpet).....my advice: change your cabin ASAP!!

Big Al

Again, as I'm reading these nightmare stories on cabin noise...LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!!!! Try to get a cabin on deck 7 over Chops Grill or over the Centrum Shops ( like #'s 7042- 7070 or 7542- 7570..anything over those shops because THEY CLOSE EARLY!!). I once got upgraded on Princess from a standard balcony to a mini-suite ( similar to a JS on Royal)..it was great..bigger...had a private butler and she was great, bringing us appetizers & drinks...problem: it was RIGHT OVER THE MAIN SHOW LOUNGE!! So, at night we heard the music from the shows till 11:30- midnight, and during the day, we heard Bingo, trivia, port of call info,etc....I hardly slept for the ENTIRE week...my wife sleeps thru thunderstorms, hurricanes, anything, but not me....take Big Al's word, change your cabin to my suggestions..

Alan

Congrats, you successfully hijacked the thread away from the original question.....:rolleyes:

Not at all the OP commented on how she could not believe that you would pay a premium for a JS that was so noisy. I pointed out that on the same ship you could pay even more and still have a noisy room.

You should pay attention to what threads are being responded to before making judgements...

I think it is a bit sweeping to generalize all cabins over or under public areas are bad. Look at the deck plans. Is it directly over the center of the venue or is it near an entrance? Our cabin was above the entrance to the Schooner bar so we really did not get much of the noise, just the convenience of having a bar just steps away ;) and before the ships were retrofitted with WIFI, wifi access in our cabin from the bar. :D

On Monarch/Majesty (can't remember which) we were under the pool deck near the back of the ship so we would get several times a day the loud thumping of kids running. But rarely at night and not a huge problem.

Congrats, you successfully hijacked the thread away from the original question.....:rolleyes:

Actually he didn't. Yes the OP asked about a certain area but the post that you're referring ALSO warned the OP about another area that may have issues with concerning the noise. Nothing wrong with sharing information.

Again, as I'm reading these nightmare stories on cabin noise...LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!!!! Try to get a cabin on deck 7 over Chops Grill or over the Centrum Shops ( like #'s 7042- 7070 or 7542- 7570..anything over those shops because THEY CLOSE EARLY!!). I once got upgraded on Princess from a standard balcony to a mini-suite ( similar to a JS on Royal)..it was great..bigger...had a private butler and she was great, bringing us appetizers & drinks...problem: it was RIGHT OVER THE MAIN SHOW LOUNGE!! So, at night we heard the music from the shows till 11:30- midnight, and during the day, we heard Bingo, trivia, port of call info,etc....I hardly slept for the ENTIRE week...my wife sleeps thru thunderstorms, hurricanes, anything, but not me....take Big Al's word, change your cabin to my suggestions..

Alan

Thanks everyone for your posts. I did change our cabin - all 4 - to the other side of the deck. We are now port side above the conference rooms - well at least that's what RCCL and TA tell me.

Unfortunately on this ship, the balcony cabins are on deck 7...we are stuck on this deck. Luckily deck 8 is all cabins.