An alternative transit between MIA and Port of Miami

hondorner

This entire post applies to those intrepid voyagers who travel with light luggage (carry-ons) and can manage their luggage on public transportation. If this is not you, you probably won't be interested in the details and most likely shouldn't read any further.

I'll get into the transfer alternative in a second, but first a brief look into how I learned about it (and a glimpse into how my mind works :rolleyes:). I saw an article in SeaTrade Insider about Beckham thinking about the Port of Miami for a new soccer arena, West of the Royal Caribbean building. That's where Terminal J is located, where Oceania generally docks, so I was mildly interested. I went to the Port of Miami website to look at that area, and was distracted by a new notice regarding HC parking. I detoured to the parking page, and was distracted by information about Public Transit to the port. I learned...

Public Transit By Rail

Metrorail's new Orange Line can get you from MIA to Downtown Miami in less than a half hour. From there, the walk to the Port from the nearest Metromover station (Freedom Tower) is about 1.5 miles. Or, you can catch the Coral Way Route Trolley from the Freedom Tower Metromover station to the Port. Use the Miami-Dade Transit Tracker application for iPhone and Android mobile devices to plan your route.

By Bus

Miami-Dade Transit Bus Route 243 provides rush hour service weekdays to and from PortMiami.

By Trolley

The City of Miami's Coral Way Route stops on-Port every 15 to 20 minutes Monday through Friday from 6:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.

Disclaimer -- I haven't done this yet, so my explanation is based on my research.

Coming from the airport (MIA): Buy a MetroRail EasyCard at the airport station. Fares are $2.25 each; you can load any amount on the EasyCard using cash or credit card (note, I saw a brief reference to a $2 fee to buyan EasyCard; I don't know if that applies or not. If so, the maximum Metrorail fare for 2 people would be $6.50; $7.70 if you are going to use a transfer).

Board the Orange Line MetroRail.

Get off at one of two stops, depending on the day of the week and how you go on to the port.

If it is a weekday, and if you want to ride a bus to the port, get off at the Historic Overtown/Lyric Theater stop. Be sure to "tap out" at the fare box; this sets up your transfer (there are no paper transfers any longer). Get Bus 243 to the port. It runs every half hour on weekdays only, and takes about 6 minutes to get to the port. It stops in front of Terminal J; in fact that is it's first stop on the port property in this direction. The transfers will cost $0.60 each if you remembered to "tap out" on the MetroRail, otherwise it's the full $2.25 fare. Cash is accepted on buses.

If you want to walk to the port, stay on the Metrorail one more stop to Government Center. Then, board the free MetroMover (like a monorail) to the Freedom Tower. From the Freedom Tower, it's about a 1.5 mile walk to the port, maybe another 1/4 mile to Terminal J. There is a pedestrian on the causeway and bridge to the port.

There is also the option of taking the City of Miami's Coral Way Route Trolley from the Freedom Tower MetroMover stop to the port, weekdays only, but it apparently does not go all the way to the terminals (including Terminal J), so there may still be a walk. I didn't research fares and transfers.

From the port to the airport, Bus 243 will pick you up at Terminal J every half hour on weekdays, but it takes a bit longer to get to the MetroRail as that is the first pickup and the bus will wend it's way through all the other terminals before heading the the mainland. Get off at the Historic Overton/Lyric Theater stop and head for the MetroRail station (I haven't doen this, yet, so can't give precise instructions). Also, you'll probably have to pay cash for the bus fare as you can't buy an EasyCard on the bus. If you already bought an EasyCard on your way TO the port, plan to load it with enough fro your return to the airport.

If you don't have on yet, buy your EasyCard at the MetroRail station (fare will be $2.25 each), board the Orange Line (NOT the Green Line) and ride to the airport.

If you are up to walking from the port, head for the causeway and straight up Port Street for the Freedom Tower, board the free MetroMover to Government Center, buy your EasyCard at the station, board the Orange Line and ride to the airport.

I live in Florida so don't have to go from the port to the airport or vice versa for transportation, but my favorite low-cost parking lot ($4/day with a free day every week) is just a mile from the airport with a free shuttle. Now that I've learned a little about the public transit, I can park, ride the free shuttle to the airport and the Metrorail to downtown, and reverse. It will take a little longer, but I'm frugal and resistant to spending $30 for a taxi and tip, and I like a little adventure.

Thanks for all that research; very good info !

We are doing a January cruise out of Miami Terminal J, so it sounds good to us, especially since both ends are weekdays. We do travel light.

One thing: there was a reference to the 243 bus being for rush hour. But your description just said every half hour. I guess we should check just before we go.

Good work !

Tom

Confused

It's only $10 pp to have a van pick you up (personally, with a sign with your name), handle your luggage and take you to the airport to YOUR terminal.

Why would anyone go through the hoops you are describing after spending thousands on a cruise? The most a couple will save is $12.

Confused

It's only $10 pp to have a van pick you up (personally, with a sign with your name), handle your luggage and take you to the airport to YOUR terminal.

Why would anyone go through the hoops you are describing after spending thousands on a cruise? The most a couple will save is $12.

It's all relative. As the saying goes, "...a thousand here, a thousand there, pretty soon it adds up to real money..."

;)

Confused

Details, details. I just loked up 3 shared shuttle services, only onementioned a $10 rate for 2 people, and it runs only every hour, plus tip (assuming I'm not the only one that tips.) Generally, they offer little cost advantage over a $24 plus tip for a taxi. Folks worry about the number of taxis, and I'd worry about the availability of seats in a shared van. I know there will be room in public transit, and what their schedule will be.

This past July we had a great time riding the Light Rail and Monorail to within a few blocks of our hotel in Seattle and back to the airport from Regatta, in August riding the bus from the river port in Pittsburgh to the airport (free for seniors), and in April riding the shuttle from the pier in Barcelona to the World Trade Center, then walking up Las Ramblas to our hotel and riding the airportbus from Placa Catalonya to the airport. In San Diego in March we walked everywhere, 6 miles one day and 5 miles the next. Finally, in Copenhagen in September we used public transit for all our touring, including from the airport (free with the Copenhagen Cards), except the transfer to the ship provided by the cruiseline. Oh yeah, almost forgot the bus from Cincinnati to downtown in August, right to the door of our hotel (5 cruises last year, no taxis.

It's just my way of beating the system.

sent from Galaxy Note 8

Details, details. I just loked up 3 shared shuttle services, only onementioned a $10 rate for 2 people, and it runs only every hour, plus tip (assuming I'm not the only one that tips.) Generally, they offer little cost advantage over a $24 plus tip for a taxi. Folks worry about the number of taxis, and I'd worry about the availability of seats in a shared van. I know there will be room in public transit, and what their schedule will be.

This past July we had a great time riding the Light Rail and Monorail to within a few blocks of our hotel in Seattle and back to the airport from Regatta, in August riding the bus from the river port in Pittsburgh to the airport (free for seniors), and in April riding the shuttle from the pier in Barcelona to the World Trade Center, then walking up Las Ramblas to our hotel and riding the airportbus from Placa Catalonya to the airport. In San Diego in March we walked everywhere, 6 miles one day and 5 miles the next. Finally, in Copenhagen in September we used public transit for all our touring, including from the airport (free with the Copenhagen Cards), except the transfer to the ship provided by the cruiseline. Oh yeah, almost forgot the bus from Cincinnati to downtown in August, right to the door of our hotel (5 cruises last year, no taxis.

It's just my way of beating the system.

sent from Galaxy Note 8

Don - "for future reference" as Leslie Jon would say

Here are the "details" you apparently did not find in your search

$10 per person -- tipping is optional

NO WAIT

You have a reservation

I have used them before and so have many others

I have recommended them often

http://www.miamiportshuttle.net

I don't know what "system" you are beating LOL

I just did this Monday for embarkation and am trying the trolley today to return.

Will post a full write up tomorrow.

From FLL to our hotel downtown miami was just over 2 hours as we had just missed the shuttle to the tri rail.

From our hotel to the port was just over an hour using the metromover and walking from the freedom tower station to the cruise ship. That bridge isn't as bad as it looks.

Don - "for future reference" as Leslie Jon would say

Here are the "details" you apparently did not find in your search

$10 per person -- tipping is optional

NO WAIT

You have a reservation

I have used them before and so have many others

I have recommended them often

http://www.miamiportshuttle.net

I don't know what "system" you are beating LOL

I looked at the link you provided, and I didn't see what you see -- the rate for up to 4 people in either direction is $35; if there are just two of you that's $17.50 each. Tipping is always optional,, but I always do it - probably a Fiver for that trip, so the rate goes to $20 each. If you manage to scare up another couple, the rate does drop to $11.25 each with gratutity. They have a shared shuttle for $10 per person plus gratuity, but it is on an hourly schedule, not with a reservation, and only from the port to the airport, not the reverse. It was one of the sites I checked earlier.

It's a moot point, however. What I described was an alternative, as indicated in the Subject, and not for everyone, as I indicated in the first paragraph. Those are facts -- why I might do it is opinion.

I looked at the link you provided, and I didn't see what you see -- the rate for up to 4 people in either direction is $35; if there are just two of you that's $17.50 each. Tipping is always optional,, but I always do it - probably a Fiver for that trip, so the rate goes to $20 each. If you manage to scare up another couple, the rate does drop to $11.25 each with gratutity. They have a shared shuttle for $10 per person plus gratuity, but it is on an hourly schedule, not with a reservation, and only from the port to the airport, not the reverse. It was one of the sites I checked earlier.

It's a moot point, however. What I described was an alternative, as indicated in the Subject, and not for everyone, as I indicated in the first paragraph. Those are facts -- why I might do it is opinion.

Have no idea what you are looking at

Here is my confirmation - time reserved as well.

Date: 12/22/2013

To: Miami Airport

Passengers: 2

Ship: Oceania Rivera

Pick up time: 8:00 AM

Rate: $10.00 (per person) USD.

I cannot tell you how many people emailed me for the link to this shuttle after I posted LOLOL The company should give me a free trip!

Must be a shared shuttle here is the pricing

http://www.miamiportshuttle.net/Port-of-Miami-Shared-Ride.html

I saw the other prices that Don posted ..I guess if you have your own group it is a different price schedule

Lyn

Yes, it is a shared shuttle - I think each van takes 8 people max.

They form the group from your ship.

$10 pp

Specific pickup time -- you get to choose.

Excellent company.

Yes, it is a shared shuttle - I think each van takes 8 people max.

They form the group from your ship.

$10 pp

Specific pickup time -- you get to choose.

Excellent company.

Thanks

I was just reading the fine print :eek::eek:

For a $ extra you can take a cab ;)

Edited by LHT28

We disembarked Regatta at 9:00 a.m. In March 2013, walked to waiting taxi.

Oceania cruise terminal is not with other cruise lines. Taxi should not be a problem.

sometimes things do not go according to plan

We were delayed getting cleared & getting off the ship the line up for taxis was very long we were still in line at 11 am ..we had a 12 :20 flight

Made it with little time to spare

When things go right it works out great when they do not well...

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

We disembarked Regatta at 9:00 a.m. In March 2013, walked to waiting taxi.

Oceania cruise terminal is not with other cruise lines. Taxi should not be a problem.

Others have had completely different experiences -- including myself.

It's a risk to wait for a taxi in Miami IMO which is why I booked a shuttle.