Can someone explain the difference between "Family Inside" and "Inside"

pokerpro5

I have noticed that on several cruises, the category of "Family Inside" (I1) is cheaper than the other insides, with the exception of the Deck 4 inside cabins.

I can't make sense of this, because they are the same size, and look identical in the pictures.

In fact, Family Inside seems to have two advantages:

1) They are higher on the ship, decks 8-11. The other inside cabins on Decks 10 and 11 tend to be expensive.

2) They have extra pull out bedding so you can technically stick 4 people in there (not that I ever would).

I booked one of these as the second room for our cruise. Is there something I'm missing?

Here is the pricing for the now-incredibly-cheap December 8 Jewel cruise from NO:

Family Inside (decks 8-11): $249

Deck 4 Inside: $229

Other Insides (decks 8-11): $439-$459

So why would ANYONE buy a regular inside on Deck 11 for $459 when you can get a near-identical identical Family Inside for $249?

Also it amazes me the staggering price difference between that cruise and the Christmas one I'll be taking. My family inside costs me $779/pp plus tax, though I do get a discount of like $90 per person. But I guess that's what I get for cruising during high season.

The only insight I can give is this......we recently booked a "family balcony", and the only difference between a regular balcony and the family balcony was the pull down bunk in the family balcony cabin. I would bet that is the only difference with an inside as well.

Edited by Oldgoat61

I have noticed that on several cruises, the category of "Family Inside" (I1) is cheaper than the other insides, with the exception of the Deck 4 inside cabins.

I can't make sense of this, because they are the same size, and look identical in the pictures.

In fact, Family Inside seems to have two advantages:

1) They are higher on the ship, decks 8-11. The other inside cabins on Decks 10 and 11 tend to be expensive.

2) They have extra pull out bedding so you can technically stick 4 people in there (not that I ever would).

I booked one of these as the second room for our cruise. Is there something I'm missing?

Here is the pricing for the now-incredibly-cheap December 8 Jewel cruise from NO:

Family Inside (decks 8-11): $249

Deck 4 Inside: $229

Other Insides (decks 8-11): $439-$459

So why would ANYONE buy a regular inside on Deck 11 for $459 when you can get a near-identical identical Family Inside for $249?

Also it amazes me the staggering price difference between that cruise and the Christmas one I'll be taking. My family inside costs me $779/pp plus tax, though I do get a discount of like $90 per person. But I guess that's what I get for cruising during high season.

A family inside is a cabin that can be described as having one or more of the followng attributes:

--Additional bedding for 3rd and/or 4th guest

--Connecting door to neighboring stateroom

--Close proximity to "kid-friendly" areas of the ship

They wouldn't...and NCL is counting on that. When the demand for the family categories is low, NCL can "coax" others to book these cabins by raising the prices on other options. They got you to book one, right? ;)