Live from Century: poor handling of Thanksgiving meal options

deserttraveler

Enjoy your cruise! I believe your experience would have been a bit different in the main dining room. The buffet in the evening is always hit or miss.

We were on the long-departed Mercury on Thanksgiving in 2008, and again on the Century on Thanksgiving in 2011. On both occasions we had dinner in the MDR, and on neither time was a "traditional" Thanksgiving meal served.

Actually on the Mercury there was lovely turkey carved at the lunch buffet; fortunately I had some there because the turkey served at the MDR for dinner that night was of the "processed roll" type.

During a galley tour for elites on the Century someone asked if a "traditional"

Thanksgiving" meal would be served. The answer was that "elements" would be served during the day. As I remember one of the salad options had dried cranberries and toasted pecans, and there was a pumpkin based desert. Since that particular cruise was from Honolulu to Sydney there were a great number of Australians on board, and one Aussie woman was quite disappointed as she had hoped to see a "traditional Thanksgiving" meal.

As I always tell my 14 yr old son, "If you choose the behavior, you choose the consequences". Post and you shall be flamed until all feel they have gotten something off their chest or they "won". I love reading the boards for this reason. It makes me so happy and thankful for my own family!

My two cents - my husband's family always has king crab legs and steak for Thanksgiving. I like the traditional turkey dinner, but I'll eat crab legs and steak all day long if someone were serving them to me!

...are a bit overrated. We just hosted a family Thanksgiving yesterday and we were THRILLED that all of our guests took ALL OF THE LEFTOVERS home.

Wahoo! :D

Seriously, the OP just had to ask a restaurant manager, and I'm sure Celebrity would have found what he was looking for. Of all of the mainstream cruise lines, Celebrity does the best at that sort of thing, especially the crew of Century. Since he is still on board the ship, just a trip to one of the head restaurant staff with his complaint will assure a very agreeable 2nd half of his cruise. I'm absolutely sure of this.

As I always tell my 14 yr old son, "If you choose the behavior, you choose the consequences". Post and you shall be flamed until all feel they have gotten something off their chest or they "won". I love reading the boards for this reason. It makes me so happy and thankful for my own family!

My two cents - my husband's family always has king crab legs and steak for Thanksgiving. I like the traditional turkey dinner, but I'll eat crab legs and steak all day long if someone were serving them to me

Well said...Perfect!!!!

I would think that the person who runs the buffet should have been aware of the fact there may have been an influx of diners on this night and that passengers would be looking to traditional thanksgiving fixings, including dark meat and mashed potatoes, pretty basic items. I would have been disappointed as well. I would also have gotten over it quickly, but nevertheless, I don't understand why posters continue to make, imo, excuses every poster who has a disappointing comment to post here. It baffles me why people continue to get pounced on for stating their opinion. Sheesh.

You sound like someone I would like very much to share a table with. You posted your experience, you took in the responses, and you decided that maybe it was minor in the great scheme of things. It is so nice to read a post from a grown up. Enjoy the rest of your cruise. Century is lovely and I cannot wait until Feb. when I get to sail her again. Oh, and hold the crow.