Rough Seas Recently?

KristiandEvan

I have seen several posts recently about how rough the seas have been. I am leaving on the Imagination on Monday and just want to know what to expect. Is this supposed to continue for a while? I tried to look it up, but apparently maritime forecasts are a bit over my head. :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

There's no way to tell you what to expect. Storms occur year round but it just so happens that this is the changing of seasons and that can cause some rough seas.

If you get rough seas you get rough seas. If you don't, then you don't. You can expect to have a good cruise. The weather is, as one could say, up in the air.

This is the tail end of hurricane season. Not much chance of a full hurricane now, but the seas can be unsettled.

Really tough to foretell.

Hurricane season has nothing to do with the recent conditions that have made for some bumpy rides.

You just never know.

We always hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Keith

I don't really get seasick (once on REALLY rough seas I felt sick but never to the point of throwing up) but I had the doc call in a prescription for dramamine patches just in case!

I use this site http://www.stormsurf.com/ a few days before my trip. Click on surf, wind or seas and you will get a good idea of what to expect.

That's a cool link, thanks for sharing. I'm one of the fruit loops that enjoys rough seas, thanking my parents for the genes that allow me to not get seasick!

We were on the Dream Nov 16-23 and we had a rough ride for a couple of days. I noticed barf bags in all the public restrooms. Someone on our CC M&G said the seas were 15+ but I don't know if they were that bad. You couldn't walk without bouncing off the walls. We really didn't have any trouble with it and joked that if we drank more, we'd walk straighter.:D:D

That's a cool link, thanks for sharing. I'm one of the fruit loops that enjoys rough seas, thanking my parents for the genes that allow me to not get seasick!

We were in the Gulf / Caribbean -- Jamaica, Caymans, Cozumel over Halloween and I was disappointed that the seas were so calm!! I'm like you!!! I love a storm and being tossed about...

We did hit rain and winds -- but truly the seas were no more than 10 feet...

How high do the waves have to get before you can really feel it?

There is no way to answer that question.

It depends on many factors such as: ship design, ship size, ship loading, spacing between waves etc etc. On top of that everyone feels things differently.

I have seen several posts recently about how rough the seas have been. I am leaving on the Imagination on Monday and just want to know what to expect. Is this supposed to continue for a while? I tried to look it up, but apparently maritime forecasts are a bit over my head. :)

No one can predict the weather and sea conditions.

Edited by riclop

We were on the Dream Nov 16-23 and we had a rough ride for a couple of days. I noticed barf bags in all the public restrooms. Someone on our CC M&G said the seas were 15+ but I don't know if they were that bad. You couldn't walk without bouncing off the walls. We really didn't have any trouble with it and joked that if we drank more, we'd walk straighter.:D:D

My friend was on that one too (an experienced cruiser). Of course the only ones who got sick were her 3 travel pals . That was their first cruise. That did it for them for future cruising;)

Am on Esctasy now, Imagination docked along side us here in Nassau. We left port canaveral Thursday. Has been rough seas, but this old small gal has done good. Imagination is a lot larger. You should not feel it too bad. Weather has been very windy in and out of port. Off to Freeport tomorrow. Not sure if Imagination will follow.

Am on Esctasy now, Imagination docked along side us here in Nassau. We left port canaveral Thursday. Has been rough seas, but this old small gal has done good. Imagination is a lot larger. You should not feel it too bad. Weather has been very windy in and out of port. Off to Freeport tomorrow. Not sure if Imagination will follow.

Actually, the Imagination is the same size as the Ecstasy. They are both Fantasy Class. I like them though. Perfect quick getaway liners for the wife and me.

We were on the Liberty a little over a week ago and the cruise down to the Caribbean was smooth like glass but coming back after leaving GC was rough as heck.. we hit the beginning of a low pressure system that brought Category 2 Hurricane force winds to the East Coast of Canada Mid week last week.. ya just never know..

We just got off the Imagination yesterday. The seas were awful the first two nights. I don't know anything about wind, waves, etc, but we turned the TV to the channel that has the ship info and at one point the apparent wind speed showed over 50MPH. The rest of the time, the average on the TV was 30-40 MPH. The last two days, it was much calmer but if this had been my first cruise, I might not ever cruise again. It was a rough first two nights at sea.

Our cruise director said they were 17 foot seas and it was the roughest of the year. We did have a few fronts come through Florida which were probably responsible for this

My parents are on a cruise to Hawaii now. They left San Francisco on Monday or Tuesday and had rough seas over to the islands. My mom who has been on at least 20 cruises and NEVER gets sick got sick on the way over. Also today they could not dock in Maui as it was to rough to tender to the island. She said this is the roughest cruise they have ever taken... Hopefully the seas calm down soon...