True value of beverage package with Celebrity

elapel01

Hi, I already have a 12 night European cruise booked with Celebrity with good savings. Now they have come out with their pick 2 of 3 perks but they have put the base fare of the cruise up. My question is regarding the beverage package. They say it's worth $88 USD for 2 people a day so $1066 for the whole cruise. So I am looking for opinions on the drink package and wondering if there are decent beers for $5 and decent wine for $8? We would also take the $300 OBC but the price would go up $1000 from what we paid initially. Would it be worth it to cancel and rebook with getting these 2 perks?

:confused:

If you only drink beer, there are decent choices at $5, but in my opinion, you'd be hard pressed to find more than one or two decent wines at $8.

Only you know if the beverage package is worth it. Will you drink enough to cover the $88 per day? If not, canceling and rebooking at a higher rate might not be worth it. Plus, if you cancel, you run the very likely risk of losing the cabin you booked. Once you cancel, your cabin goes back into inventory where anyone can book it. When you consider that literally hundreds of people are trying to book a cabin, you face the real probability of not getting your original cabin.

If you were to buy the classic beverage package (before boarding) it would cost you $1214.40 ($44 + 15% gratuities x 12 days x 2 persons). The $300 OBC basically covers your gratuities and gives you $12.00 extra (assuming you are not in aqua or a suite). BTW, if you are in aqua or a suite, the prepaid gratuities works out to a better deal. In any event, you are, most likely, going to pay gratuities. So basically you have to decide if the beverage package is worth $700.00 to you. That works out to approximately $30 per person per day extra for you to re-price your cruise. Only you can determine whether it is worth it. Would you spend $30 per day for drinks covered by the classic package?

BTW, you don't have to cancel and rebook -- and risk losing your cabin. You can just ask your TA or Celebrity to have your cruise repriced to include the current promotion.

Also, some TA's charge for you to change your booking. Figure that in your calculations also. In any event, the 123 go package lasts until February. No need to rush your decision.

You also must consider that a Med cruise is usually port intensive. People drink far more when there are a lot of sea days. You would need to average 12+ drinks a day pp to come out ahead. happy cruising

That's what I was going to say.

On several of those days, you may be off the ship at 9am and not back until dinner. Will you drink $88 worth of alcohol between dinner and bed?

Thanks everyone for your replies! I won't be changing over to the new sale. It seems like Celebrity wants to get their money up front (by upping their cruise fares) then offering the beverage package which we might not get the true value of. I think as well I would be thinking I have to get a drink just to make sure I'm recouping my money paid out!

We are going on a Caribbean cruise early Feb. with a $300 OBC instead of a beverage package and I will add up the drinks we have during the week to see how much we would normally spend and then see if a package would be worthwhile.

The promo goes until end of Feb so I still could change if I wanted to later.

Thanks again, all of you gave some good ideas and points.