Budget Rental Car @ POM

gigi1313

Has anyone ever returned a rental to Budget near POM? MapQuest says it's 2.6 miles, but the POM site does not list Budget as having a shuttle... if we drop off before our cruise, how to get to Port?

If I can figure out a way for him to get to Port, I'm thinking I will have dh drop me/kiddos at Port and return the rental himself, while we check in, etc... Is that a reasonable do-able plan?

Very doable. The office is very close to the port. It is very close to the Marriott Courtyard.

We have been there a few times -Budget and Avis offices are in the same block and share the parking lot.

I do not think that either Budget or Avis have a shuttle. We always take a cab-when picking up a car and when dropping off a car.

Edited by iancal

I have recently returned to this location twice and then headed back to the port.

The first time I had 'won' the Marriott Courtyard with Priceline the night prior to returning the car and they had just $12 overnight garage parking. There is a shuttle leaving from the Courtyard for just $5 per person with drop-off at your ship. This shuttle has parking access behind the porters at the pier and you avoid the double-parked drop off area at terminal. The shuttle operates every half hour with last shuttle offered at 1pm if they have demand. At peak hours they have a reserve van and run 2-3 shuttles at same half hour. Shuttle can be booked and they will let you on an earlier shuttle space available.

Taxi is also an easy option, but as this is one-way might be better to go up one block to more easily get a cab. The Budget guy refused to call a taxi for me on my last drop-off and I ended up later than 1 pm for Courtyard shuttle

From the port there is a BP station at 1000 Biscayne, which unfortunately means you have to pop up to 14th street and then down Bayshore to 13th and then left back down Biscayne as you can not turn left there.

After re-fueling at BP at first westbound cross street, 9th cut over one block for left down 2nd Avenue down to SE 2nd Street, turn right and 2 blocks ahead. on right you have return location. You see the Avis location more clearly, but the Budget shares the same return lot. There is a guy in the lot checking for returns, but unfortunately most stop right at entrance, thus making this a difficult return. Just pass anyone that stops and take the car into the far corner, where they check, miles and fuel and go into counter to settle. Problem is cruise passengers arriving by taxi do block the entrance to the lot even at times.

Note that Budget in both Ft. Lauderdale and Miami now have a rule that proof of refueling must be provided with receipt if you are driving less than 75 miles total on your rental as they will not just 'trust' the F 'full' position on the dash and will charge you a fuel drop-off fee without proof of recent re-fuel. This is charged even if you have chosen to re-fuel yourself and actually done so, if you do not have the receipt to prove it.