Dress up nights

bansa

I'm surprised that NCL did this first since Carnival is the innovator.;)

Bill

I think Carnival is trying to hold onto the traditional dining. This would be a hard concept to implement without both MDR's being freestyle and some people don't like NCL because of the freestyle concept and prefer the traditional dining that Carnival offers. I think Carnival realizes this is niche that they can fill for passengers that NCL doesn't offer. I personally prefer freestyle/anytime and love having the choice between a more or less formal MDR on NCL...but to each his own.

I think Carnival is trying to hold onto the traditional dining. This would be a hard concept to implement without both MDR's being freestyle and some people don't like NCL because of the freestyle concept and prefer the traditional dining that Carnival offers. I think Carnival realizes this is niche that they can fill for passengers that NCL doesn't offer. I personally prefer freestyle/anytime and love having the choice between a more or less formal MDR on NCL...but to each his own.

I find that most of the people who complain about NCL's freestayle concept have never tried it just as you hear all the complaints about the loss of tablecloths and it has only been on one cruise so far.

After trying freestyle a high percentage of people love it while you have some that won't do it again, but at least i can respect that decision since they at least gave it a chance.

Bill

Considering that most cruise ships have two dining rooms, perhaps it's time that the cruise lines consider making one dining room for formal dining for those that like to dress up, and one for casual dining, where the dress code would be less restrictive. However, for those that want to only dress like they're going to a beachfront grille, they would still have the option of the buffet. Maybe if the cruise lines did this, people would stop worrying about what someone else is wearing to dinner. :cool:

Oh, what a great idea! I love to dress up so I'd get to go to the fancy dining room without paying for the steak house.

Considering that most cruise ships have two dining rooms, perhaps it's time that the cruise lines consider making one dining room for formal dining for those that like to dress up, and one for casual dining, where the dress code would be less restrictive. However, for those that want to only dress like they're going to a beachfront grille, they would still have the option of the buffet. Maybe if the cruise lines did this, people would stop worrying about what someone else is wearing to dinner. :cool:

Beachbum - that is actually a very good idea. Logistically, I don't see how that would work if the majority swayed one way or the other, but a good idea nonetheless.

Having just returned from our 3rd cruise in 4 yrs with Carnival don't cruisers dress up anymore on the formal nights. We travel long haul to go on the cruise and weight ( luggage) is now very restricted. Our last cruise around the Caribbean we felt very out of place on formal nights we bothered hardly anyone else did. Main dining room looked more like a beach day than a formal evening , many in shorts and flip flops. We are looking at another cruise next year and wonder if other cruisers have seen the same. Is it worth packing smart clothes anymore? Did go to their steakhouse but dress wear was just as in formal.

To answer your question, I think where the cruise goes, and for how long, has a lot to do with how people dress for elegant night. Caribbean cruises, regardless of length, tend to be somewhat less formal. For men, a button down shirt and dress pants seem to be the norm, and for women, cocktail dress, nice dress or skirt outfit, or dress pants, with nice top all work. We still see a few dress in a tux or evening dress, but that really is the exception! We do still see maybe half of the men in a suit.

When we went to Alaska, the majority of passengers went all out for formal night, but that was a few years ago, and that also was with Princess.

Having just returned from our 3rd cruise in 4 yrs with Carnival don't cruisers dress up anymore on the formal nights. We travel long haul to go on the cruise and weight ( luggage) is now very restricted. Our last cruise around the Caribbean we felt very out of place on formal nights we bothered hardly anyone else did. Main dining room looked more like a beach day than a formal evening , many in shorts and flip flops. We are looking at another cruise next year and wonder if other cruisers have seen the same. Is it worth packing smart clothes anymore? Did go to their steakhouse but dress wear was just as in formal.

Carnival hasn't had a true formal night in several years.

People are definitely dressing down from the past on Carnival. Last cruise I left my tux at home and just wore a dress shirt and tie. I was better dressed than more than half the dining room. I don't mind since it lightens up the suitcase. I still haul my tux on Princess and Celebrity since people still dress on those cruises.

I always find this topic interesting. My hubby and I love dressing up and going out for date nights. So we enjoy the formal nights (of course that just means a dress and for him a dress shirt and slacks.)

When we were on the NCL Pride of America last year, we found out ahead of time that there was no formal nights on the cruise. Yet, everyone looked great in their Hawaiian shirts and khakis. It was almost themed..hahaha

I think it really does depend on the cruise.

I will expect that even though Xmas is not a formal night on our next cruise, many will be dressed up.

Vacation time is the time to kick back and relax.......WHILE STILL FOLLOWING THE RULES! As long as someone is within the standards set by Carnival, I don't care how they dress. When they are outside of those guidelines, I do have some control as I can complain to the wait staff, Matre'd, and others to enforce their own rules. It's possible they may be afraid of losing tips if they enforce the rules. they should also be worried about losing tips if they fail to enforce their rules as well!

Agree.

Plus, it matters not just because it's the passengers duty to comply, but their compliance is part of the evening's ambience for many of us.