Passports

rjuray

How many people carry their passports with them while in port even though the cruise director says that the SeaPass and Photo ID is enough?

Those who think that they know more than the travel professional that they are paying to guide their cruising adventure.

Thing is....this issue seems most prevalent for Caribbean cruisers when, in fact, you don't even need a passport to take most Caribbean itineraries.

Those who have been to Europe know that the ship often, as a routine matter, collects everyone's passports and keeps them for most or all of the cruise.

Still, there is a lot of passion expressed here on CC about this issue. For my wife and I and the group with whom we travel, it is a non-issue. Ship card and photo ID is all that we use.

Edited by thinfool

How many people carry their passports with them while in port even though the cruise director says that the SeaPass and Photo ID is enough?

Sea pass and photo ID are not enough to get you on an airplane.

We carry our passports.

Miss boarding your ship at port or have an "incident" in a foreign country and see how far a ship's card other form of id get you.

We always carry our passports when getting off the ship.

Also, we make copies just in case. :)

Look around these boards and you will find many debates whether, or not, to carry your passport with you off the ship.

If you decide to bring it, just be sure to keep it in a place you can't lose it, or have it stolen.

This may seem to be lame advice, but, there it is.

(By the by, I keep mine with me.;))

Just my humble opinion, of course!

Your passport is not to get you back on the ship- S&S card does that.

It's for when you CAN'T get back on the ship because it is gone- and you want to get back into the USA. Sometimes things go wrong.

Edited by HawkIVette

Those who think that they know more than the travel professional that they are paying to guide their cruising adventure.

Thing is....this issue seems most prevalent for Caribbean cruisers when, in fact, you don't even need a passport to take most Caribbean itineraries.

Those who have been to Europe know that the ship often, as a routine matter, collects everyone's passports and keeps them for most or all of the cruise.

Still, there is a lot of passion expressed here on CC about this issue. For my wife and I and the group with whom we travel, it is a non-issue. Ship card and photo ID is all that we use.

I believe Passports are required for US citizens to travel in the Carribean, Mexico and Canada now. And there are plenty of you tube videos of people running for the ship as it pulls out of port. If you have a credit card and a passport you can get home. Ships are not obligated to wait even if it is an excursion booked thru them. If the harbor master says the ship must sail, it must sail.

We carry copies and keep the originals in the safe. If the ship is ready to leave, and you are missing, they can retrieve the passports and leave them with the port authorities.

Are you sure they will do that? What if they don't?

Are you sure they will do that? What if they don't?

I have heard this from other people. I have not been in that situation. If they don't, you are in trouble. If you know you will be late, I suppose you can call Carnival and ask them to do this. Phone numbers are on Ship newspaper.

I never take travel or port advice from Carnival.

The passport comes with me, secured in a waterproof pak on a lanyard around my neck, tucked safely under my shirt. A birth certificate stays in the safe as backup.

I have also heard that if you do not arrive back on board they will retrieve all your belongings and leave at port ..so does anyone know this for sure, Or even missed the ship and can let us know? ...just curious! we don't ever venture far from the ship anyways and if by chance I ever missed the ship, so be it..

I have also heard that if you do not arrive back on board they will retrieve all your belongings and leave at port ..so does anyone know this for sure, Or even missed the ship and can let us know? ...just curious! we don't ever venture far from the ship anyways and if by chance I ever missed the ship, so be it..

They will not retrieve all of your belongings. They will attempt to retrieve any items from your cabin and safe that might make it easier for you get home or to the next port -- primarily documentation and passports, wallets, cash, credit cards, cellphone, and so on. I have a video (which I should post on YouTube some day) of ship officers documenting and handing over various items and exchanging signatures with port authorities when two unlucky passengers missed the ship in Cozumel. The passenger's names were called several times prior to this, and the ship was actually delayed by about 30 minutes during the process.