Calling all Divers...

North2Alaska

Looking for some help both with where to dive and who to go with in Grand Cayman. I got an incredible deal over the weekend for a 5 day cruise and going to use the trip to scout out a spot for a future trip. I'm a Dive Master and have done multiple trips in the Keys, but the only diving I've done outside of the US has been in cold water.

I love diving reefs, wrecks and walls. The Kittiwake is on the top of a lot of lists, but since it's not been down for long I'm thinking there won't be a lot of coral or sea life. We're only in port from 7am - 4pm (mid February). Based on the limited time I have on this trip, where would you dive? Second, who would you go with? I'd like to find a boat that is more like to have other experienced divers who manage air better so I get the most bottom time. Based on what I've checked on so far, it looks like it might be hard to find a decent shop. btw, I'll be bringing my own gear.

Really looking forward to some guidance an this one. If there is a good thread, please point me the way. I've done several searches, but a lot the results seem to be geared more to Discovery or new OW divers.

Thanks!

Edited by North2Alaska

if scouting for a future dedicated dive trip

I'd recommend you shore dive from Sunset House in order to check out the facility and staff. It has been my primary dive vacation destination for 30 years.

http://sunsethouse.com/

Thanks! I definitely plan on coming back on an extend trip.

Their web site looks great. Since I'm the only diver in the group, should I worry about finding a buddy, though?

welllllll

u could book a guided dive which is the same as hiring a DM to go with you . . . overkill .. 4 u ... but I won't say "just dive alone" (I'm not saying they won't care but shore diving at Sunset is 'on your own' .... they will help and advise as much as you want. BUT are used to EXPERIENCED divers and unless they think you are exceeding safe limits (usually weather related) will leave you alone ..)

any other option you are hoping to clamp on to an existing group for a buddy?????

Sunset House's website says they no longer allow rental gear to be taken off the property. That includes tanks. So I guess this means you can't shore dive with their stuff.

I would think you are allowed to shore dive at Sunset House, but you can't take their tanks, put them in a car, and shore dive elsewhere.

Good shore diving there, but definitely bring your dive booties & matching fins. The Ironstone will cut up your feet.

you can't take their tanks, put them in a car, and shore dive elsewhere

yep, that's the deal .... too many folks failed to return equipment so .....

from their rental price page:

No Tanks or Gear Permitted Off Property.

Sorry, some bad renters have forced us to take this action!

also it has long been the policy at Sunset and many other Cayman shore diving sites "no outside tanks" - this is common where there is a dive shop "right there". Altho there is no charge to dive the site, they kinda require you to rent the tank from them. This one is very loosely enforced tho cuz for example at Sunset many come to shore dive at night AFTER the shop closes.