Safari vehicles

sjde

The open air vehicles are called Safari Buses or Safaris. Some of them function as taxis with regular taxi rates (per person, by destination). And some of them function sort of like Public Transportation, running the same or similar route to the public bus.

Safari Taxis... are widely available at places of interest and importance to visitors (cruise port, downtown, popular beaches, etc.)

Dollar Safaris (as public transportation) they are available in areas popular to residents, some of which overlap with areas important to visitors - like downtown.

What beaches were you considering?

--Islander

• 4 weeks later...
DH and I would like to go to Sapphire beach by the dollar bus. I know you pick it up by Kmart (been there several times) so I know where it is. Where exactly is the bus stop? Is it on the same side as Kmart?

We just got back from St. Thomas on Dec 15. We caught the bus as a family of 7 before we got to Walmart.

We stood in front of the gas station just after we crossed the street near Wendy's. I was told that waving them down here works better than KMart and it did.

There was just enough room for our family of 7 and we were only charged $14 for all of us. I gave him a $20 cuz I was so happy! (Much cheaper than the Port Taxis)

Just remember the cars drive on the opposite side so make sure that you take that into consideration. Just remember, you want the safari bus to drive you up the big hill so you don't have to walk up it and you will be fine!

There is also a small trek down to the beach if you go to Sapphire as they drop at the top and not in the parking lot. We waiting 2 minutes for pick up on the way there and 3 minutes on the way back. Loved it!

That's a great day on the $2 bus! One note to the OP, although it's more "fun" with this option, you can have longer wait times and transport times due to the irregularity of the bus and stops along the way, and you will have to walk up the hill from Sapphire back to the entrance. Not a huge concern but it can be fun on a humid day. We've seen ppl waiting for the bus there when we drive into Red Hook for groceries and still be there 1/2 hr later. But you also have the option of giving in and walking back down to the resort and getting a taxi too.

So the $2 bus is a good option as long as you're aware of the potential delays.

Have a great day!