Tipping on-board Carnival Breeze

Superstargum

So I know that they have an autotipping option set at 11.50 per day per person but want to tip in cash based on services received not on services that I already paid for. So pretty much I dont mind tipping an average of $20 a day for my wife and I but want it to be based on good service received rather then the employees thinking it's a right to get tips. I think in general people have lost the true purpose of TIPS (To insure prompt service) and rather think it's a right and part of their pay. So here is my question.

I know you can opt out of the autotipping but was told that when you do you get crappy service. So should I opt out on the last night and tip in cash? Can I do that and not get charged for the autotipping? Or do I have to opt out on the first day?

Thank you for all the replies in advance =)

Obviously you must be a new cruiser. The folks who are providing the services to you don't make a whole lot working for the cruise lines and depend on the tips to supplement their wages. I know it shouldn't be like that but that is how the cruise lines work it. As they are foreign workers many of them are supporting their families in poor countries. They work from morning till night with little time off. Most of them provide excellent service and they do it with a smile. So don't be cheap and remove the auto tips. Think about how much you would tip in a restaurant compared to the little you would tip your waiters on the ship. The same goes for your cabin steward. I'm sure you will get a lot of similar replies.

Obviously you must be a new cruiser. The folks who are providing the services to you don't make a whole lot working for the cruise lines and depend on the tips to supplement their wages. I know it shouldn't be like that but that is how the cruise lines work it. As they are foreign workers many of them are supporting their families in poor countries. They work from morning till night with little time off. Most of them provide excellent service and they do it with a smile. So don't be cheap and remove the auto tips. Think about how much you would tip in a restaurant compared to the little you would tip your waiters on the ship. The same goes for your cabin steward. I'm sure you will get a lot of similar replies.

I agree with what you said; I just want to get good service. I also have no problem tipping a lot, even well above the recommended. I just dislike paying in the front end. Although, I've had nothing but great service from crew members.

I agree with you on the fact that they seem to rely on tips for their wages but this should not be the case. If TIPS is a part of their wage that means customers are paging Carnival Employee's wages... This is not correct. Also your comment on them being paid low and supporting a family back home. I have family members in those areas as well and am aware of their hardships but you do realize that the crew members have it really good compared to some of their counterparts from their country right? If you are comparing minimum wage of the US then I believe your sorely mistaken. Their are getting paid much more than the average person in their country and working in a much cleaner and nice environment then some of my family members in the Philippines.

Got off track... I dont have a problem with auto tipping at all IF I receive great service... The problem is some people are not getting this great service we all are experiencing and if I am in that boat in the future I would like to know how to take care of the tipping issue. If I get horrible service I'd like to know how to take care of this at that moment.

With all this said Id like to note that I did auto tipping as well as gave an extra $60 bucks to the dining room staff + $50 bucks to my wonderful room steward we had last time. I just want to be prepared for bad service and how to deal with that issue.

Thank you =)

If you do get poor service, you can reduce or remove auto-tips toward the end of the cruise at guest services, and you can let them know why. The auto-tips get charged early in the cruise, but that doesn't mean that it should be seen as tipping in advance (which I see as a bribe, not a tip). The cruiseline knows that most people don't want to have those extra charges come onto the account late in the cruise, especially for those doing a cash account.

The extra tipping for great service on top of auto-tips, is a good way to go. Many people don't like the system that the cruiselines have in place with the auto-tips. Many people don't like the principle of it. But that is how it is. Some crew who are serving us, that we don't ever see, get a part of our auto-tips, and they truly are earning it. If we do all tipping in person and no auto-tips, then some people serving us won't get what they should be getting.

Edited by k2excursion

I wish that they would just call it a service charge, make it mandatory and be done with it. You eat, you use the linens, you make a mess for someone to clean up. Many nice hotels have a "resort fee" or something like that which includes pool use, tennis courts, in room safe, etc. They don't care if you use it, you pay.

My biggest gripe, not just with CCL, but all cruise lines is advertising that only includes the cheapest cabin. Lures newbies in, then after adding port charges, better cabin, fees, taxes, fuel supplement, tips, and maybe insurance, the cost has doubled. It's still a good deal but sort of like dealing with a used car salesman. "Did you want the undercoating with that?"

One of our favorite activities onboard is hanging out by the kiosk in the lobby watching people get their bill and going into sticker shock! "I ain't payin' no $34.50!!!!!!"

I think in general people have lost the true purpose of TIPS (To insure prompt service) and rather think it's a right and part of their pay. So here is my question.

Well, that used to be the origin of 'TIPS'; but in today's world, it has been twisted around like most things. Employers quickly figured out that the workers can make a lot of money from tips and so they don't need to pay them as much. Saving money and advertising cheaper prices at the same time.

For my part, I don't see the charges as tips at all. I view it as part of the ticket cost, no more, no less. And frankly I prefer it this way, saves me the trouble of carrying cash and figuring out how much to give to each and every staff person I run into.

Cheers!

I think in general people have lost the true purpose of TIPS (To insure prompt service)

TIPS is not an acronym for "To insure prompt service" if it was you would pay up front to "insure" the good service. The word your looking for is "ensure". But then it would be TEPS. :rolleyes:

Forget the service charge idea, the resort fee and the auto-tips. Just include that all in the cruise fare.

Then I will tip for good service.

Won't happen though. You're on vacation. Don't ruin it by worrying about the cruise industry's approach to employee compensation.

So I know that they have an autotipping option set at 11.50 per day per person but want to tip in cash based on services received not on services that I already paid for. So pretty much I dont mind tipping an average of $20 a day for my wife and I but want it to be based on good service received rather then the employees thinking it's a right to get tips. I think in general people have lost the true purpose of TIPS (To insure prompt service) and rather think it's a right and part of their pay. So here is my question.

I know you can opt out of the autotipping but was told that when you do you get crappy service. So should I opt out on the last night and tip in cash? Can I do that and not get charged for the autotipping? Or do I have to opt out on the first day?

Thank you for all the replies in advance =)

First of all, TIPS does not mean To insure prompt service.

And surprisingly, there are a LOT of people that prefer to tip in cash. If your service ever wqent down just because they found out you removed tips, they are biting themselves right in the wallet. In fact, there was a time you could ONLY tip in cash.

If that's what you prefer, go for it.

BTW, we remove them as soon as they show up on our account. But you can opt out any time after that.

Even if YOU pay in advance, the folks serving you do NOT get the tips until the cruise is over...so your tips are being distributed at the END of the cruise, just as if you were handing them cash.

I was gonna say this

Tips are part of the cruise companies' business model. If you don't like that, don't cruise.

Advertising the lowest fares and piling on the cabin upsells, port charges and taxes are part of the cruise companies business model. If you don't like that, don't cruise.

The cruise lines will try to pry every last $ out of you they can by selling you jewellery, inflated shore excursions, pictures, drinks and art. If you don't like that, don't cruise.

Despite the forgoing, cruising can still be a wonderful cost-effective way to travel and see the world.

If you choose to cruise and accept the cruise lines business model, and THEN make the conscious choice to subsidize your vacation at the expense of the lowest paid employees, whose job security is almost non-existent and who work under difficult conditions to improve their station in life, then shame on you.

Don't cruise, save your tips and spare us your sermons, hypocrites.

I prefer to pre-pay the tips ahead of time, that way I don't see at on my bill at the end of the cruise.

If excellent service is delivered, then an additional tip is given to the party directly.

But, to each his own!!! :)

Mike

From a recent article on "service charges" in the cruise line industry to support my points above.

"Most of the time, tips on cruise ships are really service charges, which is one of the reasons why cruise lines seem to be moving towards adding a flat fee to your onboard account rather than make the tip amount entirely optional. New cruisers should know that most cruise lines do not pay their service staff a living wage, and tips or service charges make up much of their compensation. In order to keep the advertised price down, passengers are expected to subsidize the service staff through these added service charges or tips.

All tips used to be given to the stewards and dining room staff on the last night of the cruise. Envelopes were passed out to the passengers and you presented the cash tip envelope directly to the steward in the cabin and handed it to the wait staff at dinner. While some cruise ships may still follow this policy, others (mostly) add a flat fee per day to your onboard account which may or may not be adjusted upwards or downwards, depending on the cruise line. If the fee is required and cannot be adjusted downward, it is a true service charge, and is no different from a port charge. Most cruise lines add the recommended service charge to your account, and you can adjust it if you think necessary. Personally, one of the things I love about cruising is the excellent service and wonderful attitude of the crew. I’ve never understood people who did not think the crew deserved at least the recommended service/tipping charge. But then, that is just me!"

From a recent article on "service charges" in the cruise line industry to support my points above.

All tips used to be given to the stewards and dining room staff on the last night of the cruise. Envelopes were passed out to the passengers and you presented the cash tip envelope directly to the steward in the cabin and handed it to the wait staff at dinner...................................

emphasis mine

The first few cruises we took on RCL (many, many years ago) the dining room was only half full the last night with pax skipping out of giving gratuities.

We like the auto-tip. No need to make sure you have enough cash on hand to fill out envelopes, not to mention the time it took to do this.

Edited by SadieN

I've already made final payment for my upcoming cruise. Can I prepay the tips at this point or is it too late?

Yes, you can. Just confirm that your booking is still there after you do. There have been some problems with this lately.

And the rest of the story..back in the day when you could only tip in cash...

The cost to cruise was much higher. Dining options were limited so on the last night half the passengers weren't eating elsewhere to avoid the wait staff. There were no forums like this where folks could find others to justify their behavior.

Tips are part of the cruise companies' business model. If you don't like that, don't cruise.

Advertising the lowest fares and piling on the cabin upsells, port charges and taxes are part of the cruise companies business model. If you don't like that, don't cruise.

The cruise lines will try to pry every last $ out of you they can by selling you jewellery, inflated shore excursions, pictures, drinks and art. If you don't like that, don't cruise.

Despite the forgoing, cruising can still be a wonderful cost-effective way to travel and see the world.

If you choose to cruise and accept the cruise lines business model, and THEN make the conscious choice to subsidize your vacation at the expense of the lowest paid employees, whose job security is almost non-existent and who work under difficult conditions to improve their station in life, then shame on you.

Don't cruise, save your tips and spare us your sermons, hypocrites.

Well Thanks for your sermon which I didnt appreciate but oh well you took the time to type it out so I might as well appreciate it for what it's worth... In anycase, If you believe paying a tip even when your service sucked well that's your opinion and yours alone... Just because other's feel different doesnt make them any lesser or better than you. If they want to call it a service charge then they should call it that and not call it a TIP. I understand fully what the cruise lines are aiming for and the only people suffering from this horrible practice are the employees of those cruise lines and Im also quite aware of this... So if I dont feel the same way as you, your only suggestion is "Dont cruise"?

So if you get crappy service from the staff do you believe I should tip them just the same as some people that work very hard to make your trip enjoyable? Or should I have to go above and beyond and tip an extra 200 to those who provide great service to show that there is a difference in TIPS?

People work for minimum wage at McDonalds in Maryland and if you know the cost of living expenses here that is not even close to enough to put decent meals on the table for your children so they end up pulling 3 jobs working 18 hrs a day to provide for their families but do we TIP those that work at those establishments cause we feel bad about their circumstances? Dont pull the "Oh but they dont make much we should help them out" card... Like I've stated before they dont make much but they make a hell of a lot more than they would at their respective countries and in much better work environments... You can say Im cold hearted but like I stated before I have no problem giving TIPS when appropriate, meaning when I've received great service... Hell last cruise I gave every last dollar I had to my room steward before leaving as well as a Thank you card. But dont get it twisted I didnt TIP because it was a part of their business model, I TIP'd because he deserved every penny and probably more for the service he provided my wife and I.

My original question was what if I get crappy service what can I do to show how I appreciated that type of service. If you think even then I should TIP them well then you and I are on different pages of life. I will not TIP for horrible service regardless of some corporations business model. We can only hope that they provide services that deserve TIPS so that we may never have this conversation again.....

Hope you like my sermon =) Have a great day.

Edited by Superstargum