Princess Cays Dune Buggy

butternut1

I have a question that I'm hoping someone can help me with. I was looking at possible excursions/tours for Princess Cays. I noticed that Princess offers a Dune Buggy tour. I went on the Ports of Call and couldn't find any posts about this excursion. If anyone out there has done this Dune Buggy excursion on Princess Cays, would you please post and let us know what you thought of it? It's a little pricey so I would love some feedback on it if possible. Thanks so much!

I noticed this was recently added to our excursions listing too. I concluded that this must be a new offering, as I was also unable to find any mention or reviews for it.

So if anyone has tried it... please share your thoughts with us?! I agree, especially because it's a bit pricely, it would be nice to know if others found it worth the time and money spent.

I noticed this was recently added to our excursions listing too. I concluded that this must be a new offering, as I was also unable to find any mention or reviews for it.

So if anyone has tried it... please share your thoughts with us?! I agree, especially because it's a bit pricely, it would be nice to know if others found it worth the time and money spent.

I think it's been on the list for about a month

I don't have any personal knowledge, but have been following Pescado Amarillo's blog & below is what she has posted...I have also emailed her to see if she has any futher info. or has talked to anyone that has taken it...I will let you know her response. ;)

We walked behind the buildings and got a look at the dune buggy-type vehicles that are being used for the new Princess excursion going down to the lighthouse at the southern end of Princess Cays. If you've read my blog posts about walking down there the past two years, you know how beautiful the end of the island is, but how difficult it is to get there. I can recommend the dune buggy excursion as a way to get there without the work, and it's bound to be fun (knowing the rotten condition of the paths...er, roads going down there).

blogger-image-859788177.jpg

I don't have any personal knowledge, but have been following Pescado Amarillo's blog & below is what she has posted...I have also emailed her to see if she has any futher info. or has talked to anyone that has taken it...I will let you know her response. ;)

We walked behind the buildings and got a look at the dune buggy-type vehicles that are being used for the new Princess excursion going down to the lighthouse at the southern end of Princess Cays. If you've read my blog posts about walking down there the past two years, you know how beautiful the end of the island is, but how difficult it is to get there. I can recommend the dune buggy excursion as a way to get there without the work, and it's bound to be fun (knowing the rotten condition of the paths...er, roads going down there).

Well hey there Terri. Thanks so much for posting this. Jon and I have done the Dune Buggy excursion at Grand Turk and had a ball. Seriously thinking about doing this one at Princess Cays. We will be in Princess Cays twice next month and need something to do. Looks like this could be it. :) Thanks again.

Well hey there Terri. Thanks so much for posting this. Jon and I have done the Dune Buggy excursion at Grand Turk and had a ball. Seriously thinking about doing this one at Princess Cays. We will be in Princess Cays twice next month and need something to do. Looks like this could be it. :) Thanks again.

Hey Margie :D - if y'all do, let me know what you think...might be something we would think about for April ;)

I haven't taken this excursion, but after seeing Pescado Amarillo's post on her blog today, I reserved it for our Feb. Emerald cruise before they all sold out. It's $185 per buggy, but it holds two people, so that helps some :)

Howard

So, here is the response I received back from Pescado Amarillo...:)

I just checked with the shore ex desk, because this excursion is just getting started and I don't know anyone personally who has done it. But the shore ex guy I talked to did it just this cruise, and, in fact, is the guy in the dune buggy in the photo I posted.

It's a two hour excursion and costs $185 per dune buggy (2 people max). You follow the leader going down to Lighthouse Beach and back, and go to the Atlantic side (but don't actually drive on the beach) and walk over the dune and climb up the lighthouse. The guides gives the history of the lighthouse (which we would love, as we don't know it) and then, on the return, also the history of some church ruins that you pass by.

I know how much we enjoy seeing the very end of the 110-mile long island of Eleuthera, and to see it without the long hike is appealing.

Here is a website I found online that talks about the area, and if you click on the Lighthouse Beach label in my blog, you'll see more photos. It's a beautiful area.

http://www.discover-eleuthera-bahamas.com/sammys.html

I hope someone does it and reports back!

So, here is the response I received back from Pescado Amarillo...:)

I just checked with the shore ex desk, because this excursion is just getting started and I don't know anyone personally who has done it. But the shore ex guy I talked to did it just this cruise, and, in fact, is the guy in the dune buggy in the photo I posted.

It's a two hour excursion and costs $185 per dune buggy (2 people max). You follow the leader going down to Lighthouse Beach and back, and go to the Atlantic side (but don't actually drive on the beach) and walk over the dune and climb up the lighthouse. The guides gives the history of the lighthouse (which we would love, as we don't know it) and then, on the return, also the history of some church ruins that you pass by.

I know how much we enjoy seeing the very end of the 110-mile long island of Eleuthera, and to see it without the long hike is appealing.

Here is a website I found online that talks about the area, and if you click on the Lighthouse Beach label in my blog, you'll see more photos. It's a beautiful area.

http://www.discover-eleuthera-bahamas.com/sammys.html

I hope someone does it and reports back!

Thanks, Terri. You Da BEST!

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone went on this yet? We are trying to figure out if it would be worth our money. We are afraid that it will just be like a golf cart tour around the island or do they actually let you have fun with a dune buggy?!

• 1 month later...

We just got back from our cruise on Saturday. We did go ahead and book the dune buggies while at Princess Cays. And the answer to all of these previous posts are YES, they are worth it!!!! They are 2 person dune buggies. You start out on black top road for a little while then go on dirt roads. You can drive slowly and go around pot holes or like us, you can get a little speed and hit the holes for more fun. The tour guide stops at different locations to tell you about the island. You end up at the beach and lighthouse before turning around to come back. You have the option of spending 20 minutes at the beach or taking a hike with the guide. We did the hike and it was the most beautiful area we have ever seen!!! Make sure that you take your camera! The excursion sold out on our cruise and I am sure once the word gets out it will sell out quick on all the cruises.

We just got back from our cruise on Saturday. We did go ahead and book the dune buggies while at Princess Cays. And the answer to all of these previous posts are YES, they are worth it!!!! They are 2 person dune buggies. You start out on black top road for a little while then go on dirt roads. You can drive slowly and go around pot holes or like us, you can get a little speed and hit the holes for more fun. The tour guide stops at different locations to tell you about the island. You end up at the beach and lighthouse before turning around to come back. You have the option of spending 20 minutes at the beach or taking a hike with the guide. We did the hike and it was the most beautiful area we have ever seen!!! Make sure that you take your camera! The excursion sold out on our cruise and I am sure once the word gets out it will sell out quick on all the cruises.

Just curious, did you come back covered with a fine grit? We did the dune buggies on Aruba a few years ago, and took along bandanas to cover our nose and mouth, but also came back with fine dust embedded in our clothing. It was a lot fun - just kind of gritty.

Just curious, did you come back covered with a fine grit? We did the dune buggies on Aruba a few years ago, and took along bandanas to cover our nose and mouth, but also came back with fine dust embedded in our clothing. It was a lot fun - just kind of gritty.

We did the buggies in January while sailing on the Crown. Yes, you will be gritty by the time you return. The buggies are open and there's just no way to avoid the dust.

Be ready to step on the brakes when stopping. And I mean step on 'em. They don't have power brakes so you don't want to follow too close to the cart in front of you.

Just before arriving at the beach, there's a hill that they send you up one at a time, be ready and don't stop or you'll never reach the top. Lots of fun going up and coming back down. Thought of this hill while watching the Olympic mogul event.

Getting in and out was interesting. I'm a bigger guy and not as flexible as I was in my youth.

Joel

Yes, you do come back with dust on you but not too bad. They give you helmets with face guards but would still highly suggest sunglasses because the guards don't stay down on your eyes very well. They do give you masks to wear to keep the dust out of your nose and mouth. As they other person commented make sure you get a run at the hill. Also watch coming around corners fast because there are cars parked along the road in some places. Have fun! . . . I know you will.

I took it in January. It is run by a contractor. You go single file driving through the roads of southern Eleuthera, which are mainly unpaved and washed out. It is very bumpy and there is not much looking at the scenery when you are driving. Three or four stops were made, at a pond where there was some bird watching, at a very beautiful beach by the lighthouse, and at a ruined church. There is not much civilization there, don't expect to spend any money as there is no opportunity for same.

I enjoyed it but it was much more of a workout than I anticipated.

• 2 weeks later...

www.eleutheratours.com... You spend 4 full hours on the beach... most of the time with no one else around. And in full comfort and with snorkel gear. You get a full lunch and drinks. You stop at the church too.

Here are reviews from some other Princess guests...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147428-d2091102-Reviews-Eleuthera_Tours-Eleuthera_Out_Islands_Bahamas.html

• 3 years later...