shhhhh coming soon

Host Star

it will be different in the effect that we will have web pages for you to use.. the situation was that some folks were going over to fb and others didn't want to use fb and it was creating a split... that will no longer be necessary to divide up the roll call...the purpose of the roll call boards is to meet others on the same cruise, maybe share shore excursions, plan some onboard activities , make new friends, etc... some of you may recall what started out as a happy group ended up being a divided group.... and after having several requests for this,,the suits listened and have worked diligently on developing the web pages... we will still be active on fb and welcome our members who like to visit us on fb but you will be able to do all of your tour planning, slot pulls, fun stuff,, all on CC without ever leaving 'home' I will be glad to answer any questions and if I don't know the answers I will get them from those that do

I think that will be a nice added feature.

And even if people didn't mind using FB, but just didn't have an account because they had no other reason to have one, it saves anyone from signing up to something they may never use again. Since they are already members on CC.

BTW love the new link to find the roll call you are on. It makes it a lot easier to pop in, than having to favorite it in my browser. Thank CC.

Edited by che5904

That is deeply touching, and so heartbreaking at the same time.

Isn't that sad :( I already have my last cruise written into my Will .

Thats where those aft balconies come in handy ;)

Poof

No worries , lid on ..

Isn't that sad :( I already have my last cruise written into my Will .

Thats where those aft balconies come in handy ;)

Poof

No worries , lid on ..

I am LOL - DH and I have discussed this several times with our sons - I will have to make sure that they gets the aft balcony - a final cruise indeed:D

Here's some interesting FB info:

- The reason we don't like FB for Roll Calls is really simple: FB is not an anonymous community. People use real names etc and we don't think anyone should be joining groups (even private ones) that shout when you'll be away on vacation. That's how WE feel. Of course, anyone is free to do as they please; they just cannot promote those groups here. We think that is fair.

Laura

Just be honest. You are protecting the Cruise Critic product. If CC members was allowed to promote Facebook-groups on the roll calls, many of CCs members would spend less time on CC. = less traffic, less income from advertisers.

:)

"Its all about the money,its all about the dum dum duh dee dum dum"

it isn't always about the money.... how about principle.. if you owned a business and potential customers came into your business and told people to go 'across the street' to another business I don't think you would be happy.... Cruise Critic has advertisers who pay to advertise on here and we have a responsibility to them ....

no need to debate or argue but yes, Cruise Critic is a business and a lot of hard working people work very hard to make it the very best it can be..and we appreciate all our members support and participation on the boards

Edited by Host Star

- FB is aging :) 68% of FB users are over the age of 50.

87.322% of un-attributed statistics quoted in message forums are made up on the spot according to me. ;)

Here are some numbers from the Pew Research Center's Internet & American Life Project Omnibus Survey December 13-16, 2012

18-29 86%

30-49 73%

50-64 57%

65+ 35%

The percentages represent the percentage of internet users in that age bracket who use Facebook. Since the percentage of people using the internet also declines with age it seems unlikely that nearly 70% of Facebook users would be on the downhill side of the century hike despite the increasing average age...

That said, I fall into the camp of only being "friends" with my actual friends, and don't like organizations, join circles, or similar. I think a locally hosted solution on CC makes sense.

I would rather see advertisements on CC than FB... at least it is a "product" that I want - and I resent that I would have to join facebook to get a special promotion, offer, or discount. So CC, please keep protecting your product!

I would rather see advertisements on CC than FB... at least it is a "product" that I want - and I resent that I would have to join facebook to get a special promotion, offer, or discount. So CC, please keep protecting your product!
I, too, resent that only FB users get "specials" offered by some companies just to get a "Like."

Have you not joined CC? :confused:

Edited by Beaver1975

I, too, resent that only FB users get "specials" offered by some companies just to get a "Like."

There are a lot of companies that offer 'specials' for joining. Sams Club, Costco, AAA, AARP.

It's your right to join/belong or not but if you choose not to you can't get upset about those that do....and get those 'discounts' or 'specials'...

nor can you get upset that you're not getting them if you don't join.

Good old USA, the right to choose!

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

Looks like changes have begun. I like the new "Roll Call Tool".

I miss my Quick Links Tab. I used to go there for a "quick link" to my subscribed threads. Oh Well, it's still not difficult to get to those threads, just old habits need to be changed.

there will soon be dedicated web pages for each roll call where you can keep track of planned activities, shore excursions, etc etc... coming soon to Cruise Critic :)

Great! That should be much easier than the Google Doc spreadsheet I put together when I lead a M&G.

great news for the roll call boards!!

there will soon be dedicated web pages for each roll call where you can keep track of planned activities, shore excursions, etc etc... coming soon to Cruise Critic :) as soon as I receive more news I will pass it on... that's all the info I have now... from looking thru the peekhole at the construction site :)

While I appreciate any improvements/enhancements Cruise Critic makes on the site, I must say that on all the roll calls that I have participated in, we managed to maintain lists of planned activities and participants, on the regular Roll Call fairly well....but I am still looking forward to seeing how the new system works....:)

• 1 month later...
Why would this be any different from allowing Facebook "roll call" pages? :confused:

Some of us choose not to have Facebook accounts. If CC does as indicated, no reason to also allow Facebook roll call pages. Would be duplication.

- FB is aging :) 68% of FB users are over the age of 50.

Laura

87.322% of un-attributed statistics quoted in message forums are made up on the spot according to me. ;)

Here are some numbers from the Pew Research Center's Internet & American Life Project Omnibus Survey December 13-16, 2012

18-29 86%

30-49 73%

50-64 57%

65+ 35%

The percentages represent the percentage of internet users in that age bracket who use Facebook. Since the percentage of people using the internet also declines with age it seems unlikely that nearly 70% of Facebook users would be on the downhill side of the century hike despite the increasing average age...

That said, I fall into the camp of only being "friends" with my actual friends, and don't like organizations, join circles, or similar. I think a locally hosted solution on CC makes sense.

These are two completely different stats: in the first instance, Laura is stating that 68% of FB users are over the age of 50. The second stat looks at the numbers from a completely different perspective - the percentage of internet users who are on FB. Without raw data, it's impossible to reconcile these two stats.

All that said, I have no idea what's accurate as far as FB's demographic. Here is a link to a study that claims to break down FB's user base, as of Jan 2014 (NB: the study analyzes American FB users only):

http://istrategylabs.com/2014/01/3-million-teens-leave-facebook-in-3-years-the-2014-facebook-demographic-report/

The data in this article breaks down FB's age group, as follows:

13-17: 5.4%

18-24: 23.3%

25-34: 24.4%

35-54: 31.1%

55+: 15.6%

• 3 weeks later...

There are many companies whose promos are only accessible on the internet. I recently asked a Kroger cashier why I didn't get another dollar off a certain brand of frozen chicken. It was because I did not have the eCoupon loaded onto my store card. I know it's not FB, but the retailer can offer anything they want and you have to jump through the hoop to get it.