Transportation Advice

tommyjean

Going to Disney for 2 days before our Saturday cruise on the Fantasy. We are staying at the Contemporary and have breakfast reservations Saturday morning at 8:35 at Grand Floridian. When I did our cruise check in, we got a port arrival time of 11:15. We've never cruised Disney and it will be my husband and I with our 5 year old twins. I don't mind the expense of the Disney transfer to the port, and love the freedom from the luggage. Now I'm wondering if we'd be better off just having a car service take us so we can get on the ship earlier rather than later. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Help!!!

Going to Disney for 2 days before our Saturday cruise on the Fantasy. We are staying at the Contemporary and have breakfast reservations Saturday morning at 8:35 at Grand Floridian. When I did our cruise check in, we got a port arrival time of 11:15. We've never cruised Disney and it will be my husband and I with our 5 year old twins. I don't mind the expense of the Disney transfer to the port, and love the freedom from the luggage. Now I'm wondering if we'd be better off just having a car service take us so we can get on the ship earlier rather than later. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Help!!!

DCL transfers from WDW resorts generally pick up in the 11:30-12:30 window. Each bus may pick up guests at up to 3 resorts (depending on how many guests from each resort are going to the port). It's possible for a bus to fill up at it's first stop, and have only the one stop.

Busses from WDW generally arrive at the port around 12:30-1:30.

Your actual boarding number (which you receive when you check in at the port) is tied to your PAT. Earlier PAT = lower boarding number; later PAT = higher boarding number. You will receive the same boarding number regardless of when you check in at the port.

The terminal doesn't open until 10:30. If you have a later than 10:30-10:45 PAT, it's possible you may not be allowed to enter the terminal due to the large numbers of people in the terminal at the time. Once the actual boarding process begins (generally about 11:15-11:30), the terminal starts to clear and you may be allowed to enter earlier than your selected PAT. But you will still have the same boarding number.

We used Executive VIP limousine service last December from WDW to Port Canaveral. It was $160 for five of us (we also had a child's car seat). We could choose our pick-up time and it took about an hour and a half (with a shopping stop on the way).

For 4 of you, the cost of DCL transfers is roughly equal to the cost of a limo. Of course, there is the tip to factor in also.....

That leaves the convenience vs. time issue. You will get the same boarding number regardless of your transportation. If you ride the DCL bus, you'll arrive at the terminal about 1:30. You'll check in and walk right onto the ship as your boarding number will already have been called.

If you take a limo, you can depart WDW about 10:30 and get to the termial about 11:30. Does that cramp your breakfast? Remember that you'll need time to ride back to the Contemporary, but that's easy on the monorail. And you'll need the bellman to hold your luggage from the time you check out of the room till your limo arrival time.

There isn't a right or wrong to this. It is a matter of what works best for you/what is most important--the time or the convenience.

I scored a $101 one-way minivan rental for our party of 5 for our cruise in May.

This worked well for as we have plenty of time on the day of the cruise. We arrive late the night before at MCO and are staying very near the airport. This will also allow us some flexibility to stop at the store on the way to the ship.

Edited by Maineiak

No question that one way car rentals are the least expensive way to go. There are several companies with pick up locations near WDW (example, Budget is at the Good Neighbor Doubletree hotel, someone is at the Hilton). These are a short walk from the Marketplace bus stop of Downtown Disney and offer complimentary shuttles with limited hours. You can drop them off within a mile or two of the terminal area and take the complimentary shuttle back to the terminal...it is even easier to drop the passengers and luggage on the way and just have the driver shuttle back. Yes, the advantage of a store run if needed is huge.

Our cost has never exceeded $50. Add a little for gas and tolls. We once got a minivan for $39 on code special (codes are available at rentalcodes.com), but typically get a full size vehicle. However, with 2 kids, you'd be either hauling or renting car seats, and those are costly rentals.

This is the option with the highest inconvenience factor. I got the impression that OP was choosing between DCL bus and a private limo service...and that a car rental was not on her option list.

We are scheduled for the Fantasy on August 26 1014 arriving a day early and staying at a hotel

we made arrangement With Mears Destination Service 407-843 2404

We will be a Party of 7

they are to pick us up at the hotel @ !0:30 am on Saturday and take us to port Canaveral to catch the Fantasy

also they are to pick us all up Saturday after the cruse at about 10:30 and return us to the air port ion Orlando

have a great cruse

STUR DAYTON,OHIO