Dear Upgrade/Upsell Fairy,

TracieABD

I received an awesome up sell for my Dec 22, Nieuw Amsterdam cruise. We started in a fully obstructed ocean view and with one up sell landed in a category V veranda (mid ship, navigation deck) for $79 each.

When I called to see if they still had cabins available for the up sell they asked me to pick a cabin I liked and they would see if they had it. In the area on the ship I was looking at they had at least 7 cabins open.

I received an awesome up sell for my Dec 22, Nieuw Amsterdam cruise. We started in a fully obstructed ocean view and with one up sell landed in a category V veranda (mid ship, navigation deck) for $79 each.

When I called to see if they still had cabins available for the up sell they asked me to pick a cabin I liked and they would see if they had it. In the area on the ship I was looking at they had at least 7 cabins open.

Very, very nice! I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Tracie with your beautiful attitude that I've seen expressed on these boards, I'm sure you will have a wonderful cruise. Bon Voyage and enjoy every moment!

Aw, thanks! (says the blushing person on this end of the keyboard). That is super sweet of you to say.

It's a cruise! Yay!

• 1 month later...
Thank you! We got the coveted 4th upsell offer and have upgraded to an S* :) So my laundry will get done. It was just within budget. *happy bunny dance*

Ok - I need to know all about upgrades/upsells. How do you get them???? My TA only takes my bookings and answers questions that I ask. :cool: Who has a TA that is proactive about getting their customers upgrades - I want a new TA.

Ok - I need to know all about upgrades/upsells. How do you get them???? My TA only takes my bookings and answers questions that I ask. :cool: Who has a TA that is proactive about getting their customers upgrades - I want a new TA.

As you likely have already figured out, HAL makes the decision on upgrades and there is little a TA can do about it.

As to upsells, HAL emails your TA (or you directly if you booked through HAL) 1-5 weeks prior to sailing to offer these on a first come, first served basis. So, if you have a TA that is good about monitoring their emails and calling their clients, you have a better chance of getting one. I would GUESS that a large, online agency might not be as good at this.

DaveOKC

We leave next week. Knowing that they wouldn't do it for me automatically, I started calling my big online TA about 3 weeks ago and had them check with HAL for upsells. The first one they offered was too high so I declined. Then I had them call again a week later and although that offer was better, it was still too high so I declined again. Then a few times I had them call and there was nothing available and the ship was showing no availability so I thought I was out of luck which was fine because I was happy with what we had. But two days ago someone on my roll call emailed me to let me know that she had been contacted by her TA (not on online TA) about an upsell at a great price so I immediately called my TA, had them call HAL and ask for the same upsell, and got it! And it was $900 less than the first upsell offer from HAL 3 weeks ago. So yes, it took some work on my part but it was worth it and now we're in a Neptune Suite next week. :D

PS - we had indicated in our initial booking that we did not want an automatic upgrade from HAL because of course there's never a guarantee where you'll wind up

We leave next week. Knowing that they wouldn't do it for me automatically, I started calling my big online TA about 3 weeks ago and had them check with HAL for upsells. The first one they offered was too high so I declined. Then I had them call again a week later and although that offer was better, it was still too high so I declined again. Then a few times I had them call and there was nothing available and the ship was showing no availability so I thought I was out of luck which was fine because I was happy with what we had. But two days ago someone on my roll call emailed me to let me know that she had been contacted by her TA (not on online TA) about an upsell at a great price so I immediately called my TA, had them call HAL and ask for the same upsell, and got it! And it was $900 less than the first upsell offer from HAL 3 weeks ago. So yes, it took some work on my part but it was worth it and now we're in a Neptune Suite next week. :D

PS - we had indicated in our initial booking that we did not want an automatic upgrade from HAL because of course there's never a guarantee where you'll wind up

You were lucky to get it. On my last cruise people on the roll call were getting an upsell so I got my TA to call. They had an offer for me alright but it was the same price as the website:rolleyes:. A week or so later I got an upsell off to a SY for about the same as the folks did for an SA. I declined. I never did get another offer. I fired my TA so I hope I'll see an upsells through HAL now. In my mind it's more likely to happen if you book with HAL then if you book thru a TA.