Question re driving into Manhattan on a Friday morning

Coastalbreezes

Kind of a silly question, but I am thinking about the CTN on the Gem December 13th and was wondering what the West Side Hwy traffic is like on a Friday morning, say around 9:00 or 9:30. It's been a long time since I drove into the city on a weekday.

Thanks for any responses.

Tracy

If you are coming from Rhode Island, I would time it to be at the NY/CT line no earlier than 9 am. Here are directions that were posted before.

From I95 there is a cutover to the Merritt at Milford CT exit 38. At Rye NY there is another cutover to the Hutchinson River Parkway South exit 21 immediately after exit 1 in CT. This cutover is longer than the one at Milford and involves getting off onto I287 West and following the signs to the Merritt/Hutch. You get off onto a service road, go through a few lights and take the turn for the Hutch south.

The Merritt Pkwy becomes the Hutchinson River Pkwy at the NY/CT line. From the Hutch take exit 15 in New Rochelle to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line ($4 toll). Stay on the Henry Hudson to where it ends at the Manhattan Cruiseport. The toll is worth every penny.

The are no triucks on this route and you will avoid any traffic issues on the Cross Bronx Expressway or the intersection with I87.

I think you can leave a little earlier if you like. New Haven is likely to be your bottleneck.

Coming down from northwest of Boston, Hartford is the bottleneck. I leave at 7 am and make a quick pit stop just east of Hartford about 8:40. By the time I get back on the road, the Hartford congestion has cleared out. This same strategy could work for New Haven.

IMO you want to take advantage of the 9-10 am drive time to get down the Merritt before the shoppers get on the road.

I think you can leave a little earlier if you like. New Haven is likely to be your bottleneck.

Coming down from northwest of Boston, Hartford is the bottleneck. I leave at 7 am and make a quick pit stop just east of Hartford about 8:40. By the time I get back on the road, the Hartford congestion has cleared out. This same strategy could work for New Haven.

IMO you want to take advantage of the 9-10 am drive time to get down the Merritt before the shoppers get on the road.

Hartford and Waterbury. Whenever we drive up through CT, Waterbury is always the problem, and that leads to us hitting the Hartford issue...lol

Yes, New Haven is always a nightmare. I am trying to time it so I am not sitting in THAT traffic, especially with all the road construction going on. My usual trip time (traveling on a Saturday or Sunday) is approx. 2 1/2 hours from my home to the pier. I probably should allow at least 3 hours on a Friday morning.

Thanks for all the info,

Tracy