Angkor Wat Excursion

lindaa

We are considering the 3 day Angkor Wat excursion on the Diamond Princess next year. Can anyone share their thoughts on this trip? What hotel was provided? Can you take your own bottles of water into Cambodia? Any suggestions on how to stay cool in the humid weather? How was getting back on the ship?

Thanks for any advise!!!!!

We were on this excursion this year in April when we were on the Ocean Princess. The tour started in Vietnam when we docked at Phu My. We had a tour of Ho Chi Minh City which lasted until late afternoon. We then flew to Siem Reap in Cambodia. I don't have the hotel name handy, but it was very nice. It had a pool which looked inviting. I didn't take advantage of it but my DW did. The following morning we left for the temples. Be prepared for a lot of walking. We did four temples in all (two in the morning and two in the afternoon), with Angor Wat at the end. All four temples had plenty of distance you had to walk - and there's no way to avoid it. The tour provided copious amounts of bottled water (it's safe). I drank five or six bottles during the day and had a beer at lunch. Not to be too delicate about it, but I didn't need to run to the toilet - I sweated it all out. The next day we flew on to Bangkok, got a city tour and the rejoined the ship.

It was miserably hot while we were there. It was 100+F and over 90% humidity. I'm a wimpy Californian and not used to that kind of weather. Ugh. You probably will want to bring some extra clothes. You'll need to change after your tour of Angor Wat and before dinner - the cold shower felt wonderful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have nbot taken the ship's tour, but before a Princess cruise went there on our own (with one other couple) with a private guide. We had two full days of touring many of the temples there.

If you have the time and it is not impractical to do before/after your cruise, I would suggest this.

Thanks so much for the info! Yikes --- sounds HOT. We are from Lake Havasu City and are familiar with > 100F in the summer .... But it's a dry heat :o

Really looking forward to our trip ---- thanks again!

We have nbot taken the ship's tour, but before a Princess cruise went there on our own (with one other couple) with a private guide. We had two full days of touring many of the temples there.

If you have the time and it is not impractical to do before/after your cruise, I would suggest this.

This is what we did last year; I did a lot of on-line research and came up with a tour company that was less expensive for 7 nights and 8 days per person than the Princess shorex....that is if you have the time.

I'll agree, it can be very hot and humid but the sights are worth every drop of sweat! Wear very good shoes, best with rubber soles because the rock paths can be slippery in leather soles. I carried a hiking stick that was a great aid in climbing to the top of some of the buildings and even more getting down.

I'd carry insect repellent, the higher the DEET, the better.

We stayed in a magnificent hotel in Siem Reap provided by the tour company 'The Sothea' We were celebrating our 50th while there and I spoke to the 'butler' for our room; every room has one. When we returned to the room we found it decorated with beautiful 'towel' swans, the bed and bath covered in flower blossoms and a bottle of champagne and sweets. And they did not charge though I gave a nice gratuity.